Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify app keeps crashing whenever connected to bluetooth earbuds (Jabra Elite 3)

Spotify app keeps crashing whenever connected to bluetooth earbuds (Jabra Elite 3)

Plan

Premium

Country

Malaysia

Device

Oppo Reno 5 (5G)

Operating System

Android ColorOS 12

My Question or Issue

Hello everyone! I'm going through a big issue at the moment with my spotify application. For more context, previously when I use my bluetooth earbuds (Jabra Elite 3) and connect them to my phone (Oppo Reno 5), I have no issues whatsoever, be it listening to Youtube, Spotify, etc. However, just yesterday Spotify kept crashing whenever I try to launch it with my earbuds connected. When my earbuds are not connected, I can launch it with no issues whatsoever. I have already tried the recommended solutions, but to no avail. I have already done a deep clean reinstall with the app, restarted my phone multiple times, and whatnot. This is a huge inconvenience to me as I always use my earbuds and listen to music throughout the day. I have even paired and unpaired my bluetooth earbuds to my phone. With the earbuds connected, I have no issues doing anything else such as listening to Youtube, or even Spotify Web Player on mobile, but the app always crashes, and will only not crash when the earbuds are disconnected. I am genuinely confused as to what the issue is, so I really would appreciate any help I can get. 

Thank you! 

Top Answer
Ryokan
Casual Listener

Hi all, suffering from the same problem with pretty much identical setup. OnePlus 9 Pro, Android 12, Spotify crashes immediately when connected to Jabra Elite 3 with aptX. Restart of phone and clearing of app data won't fix the issue. Problem has started within the last week.

EDIT: Learned from another thread that revoking the "Nearby devices" permission for Spotify might fix this, and it did it for me. If Spotify asks for the permission again when starting, deny.

51 Replies

Same issue here

Plan

Premium

Country

UK

Device

Poco F3

Operating System

Android 12 MIUI 13

My Question or Issue

Weirdly my spotify has started to crash when connecting my Bose Sport Bluetooth earbuds. As soon as they connect on Bluetooth the app exits and then will not reopen whilst they are still connected. As soon as I disconnect them the app functions perfectly. I have tried connecting to a Bluetooth speaker and the app works absolutely fine so it seems to be device specific but I have removed and re-paired the earbuds to no avail, and checked that they are up to date. Beyond that, nothing else has changed since I used them last 2 days ago with no issue.

Any ideas? 

Just had this problem myself, manged to fix it by deactivating "Nearby Devices" permission

That seems to have sorted it for now! Well found. Hopefully a more permanent solution is found soon 

Hi everybody,

Thanks for posting on the Community.

Just to confirm, did the issue start after a recent OS update? Also, let us know if it's possible to see from your end what Bluetooth codec is active when pairing your earbuds (e.g. ACC, SBC). This is something you should be able to check when heading to your phone's Settings > Bluetooth, when having your earbuds paired. 

Lastly, let us know what Spotify version are you running and tell us if this happens when pairing your earbuds with a different device.

We'll be on the lookout for your reply. 

NovyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

I see the same issue with my premium plan on my One plus 9 and Bose sport earbuds. It was working fine until before my OS upgrade to Android 12. The app launches fine when not connected to Bluetooth. When I'm connected it displays AAC as the Bluetooth codec. Please help me out as I my productivity largely relies on the podcasts I listen to in Spotify.

I have the exact same problem with a pair of brand new(bought yesterday) Jabra Elite 4 on a Oneplus 9 Pro with Android 12.

Spotify version is 8.7.16.1354

Following with same issue...OnePlus 9 Pro and Bose QC earbuds 

I'm having the same problem.

Android (Xiaomi Poco F3 MIUI 13.0.3) and Spotify v8.7.16.1354 updated two days ago (I have the problem since that update). Headphones: Bose NoiseCancelling BC 700.

I use to use the headphones almost everyday, and problems began only two days ago. If I have my headphones paired with the phone and I try to open the app Spotify, i can see the Spotify app screen during a short fraction of second and it closes automatically. If I unpair the headphones then I can open the app and it works.. but then, if I pair my headphones, Spotify automatically crashes and gets closed.

Checking BT Connection I see it's using AAC. I can disable it and it changes to SBC, but the problem is the same working with SBC codec.

I've restarted the phone, completely unpaired my headphones from my phone, uninstalled the app and I get this same result always.

If I pair the phone not with my Bose BT headphones but with my old-Toyota car (with Bluetooth) it works ! I get this problem only with me Bose headphones.

For the moment I'm using a wired usb-c earbuds that I found.. but it's not the same 😉

Thank you !

Hi, I apologise for the lateness in my reply.

Yes actually, this issue started after my OS update which was about 2 weeks ago. As for the Bluetooth codec active when pairing, it automatically goes to Qualcomm® aptX™ audio. The spotify version I currently use is 8.7.16.1354. The app crashing does not happen when paired with another set of earbuds (Jabra Elite 65t) . The funny thing is, the spotify app keeps crashing when i use my own earbuds (Jabra Elite 3), but when i use other types of earbuds(borrowed from friends to test), it seems fine. I don't understand if its the spotify app, the earbuds, the OS update or something else entirely. Really hoping that you can help me solve this issue. Thank You.

Hi all, suffering from the same problem with pretty much identical setup. OnePlus 9 Pro, Android 12, Spotify crashes immediately when connected to Jabra Elite 3 with aptX. Restart of phone and clearing of app data won't fix the issue. Problem has started within the last week.

EDIT: Learned from another thread that revoking the "Nearby devices" permission for Spotify might fix this, and it did it for me. If Spotify asks for the permission again when starting, deny.

That also worked for me. But still only a workaround. Let's hope Spotify comes up with a real solution.

Thanks for the hint!!! 

Same problem here when opening Spotify with my Boss QC earbuds and my Bose 700 headphones. Problem only happens after update to Android 12 on OnePlus 9. When I connect it to my JBL Flip, it is fine. 

I have another OnePlus 6T (it still alive amazingly) which running on Android 11 and has no problem on any connected Bluetooth (Bose and JBL).

Current Android is 12, patch from 5 Mar 2022. Current Spotify is 8.7.16.1354

Same problem when opening Spotify with  Bose QC earbuds and Bose NC 700 headphones. Spotify immediately crashes.

Solution was to deny permission (from Spotify) to "Nearby devices". It can be found on phones settings and find there Spotify at list of "Applications".

Xiaomi Mi 11 lite, Android 12, Spotify 8.7.16.1354. AAC.

Thanks Ryokan for hint!

Hey Ryokan! I did what you did, and it worked for me as well! I'm so happy it works again. Everytime I start the app I always get the option to deny permissions, but its better than having Spotify crash. Thanks for the tip, and everyone else who replied! 

Same issue here. OnePlus 10 Pro, Bose QC Earbuds, latest Spotify version, recent OS-Update probably connected.

EDIT: Removing "Nearby Devices" Permission fixed it!

YES!!!! Thanx for the hint!

Hi, same issue here and same setup: Android 12, oneplus 8, a pair of earbuds jabra elite 3. I have used the workaround suggested by Ryokan and it works now. Thank you for sharing it.

I have same problem since a few days ago.

Headphones: Jabra Elite 3
Mobile Oppo Find X3 Neo 5g
Op. System: Android 12
Spotify version: 8.7.16.1354

I could partially fixed just now (Ryokan answer) revoking the "Nearby devices" permission for Spotify.
You have to take a look about this. I was with this problem a few days, and till popup about permits continues to come out.

Suggested posts