Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify connect android app

Solved!

Spotify connect android app

Anybody have an ETA for the spotify connect features for the Android apps? Can't wait! 

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

You could try getting an idea from the support team with the contact formIf you get an automated response directing you back to the community or to the help pages, make sure to reply to it directly to speed things along.

View solution in original post

35 Replies

Hi 🙂

According to my sources, it will be 'soon'. It'll be after the iOS version however.

Liam

Frustrating. Lack of feature parity accorss platforms for an app supporting a subscription service is not acceptable, imo. We're all paying the same monthly fee, yet users of some platforms routinely get features before others. Plenty of software companies manage cross-platform, simultaneous, feature-identical releases, even when those platforms are wildly different (tripple A games developers, for example), so why do some mobile developers continue to find it so difficult? Release should be simultaneous for all paying customers, regardless of their platform of choice, and feature-identical (hardware permitting). 

Can't agree more!!! There are tons more android devices out there in the world than iOS yet it seems impossible for some to acknowledge the facts... Shame.

Spotify Devs! Please appreciate the huge non-ios market 🙂 There are millions of $ out there 🙂

Certain features do make it to android first, just seems to depend on what the feature is where it goes first on mobile! 

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

So perhaps a nice thing to do is to be public with the fact that Connect is not compatible with Android yet, that would save people some time and frustration, eh Spotify people?

Support is shown here I guess: https://support.spotify.com/learn-more/guides/#!/article/Spotify-Connect

To be fair, even on iOS devices the feature appears to still be on its slow roll out phase - cause I don't have it. 

Peter

Peter

I am an Android user as well and I feel your frustration. However, the simplest reason why you'll see many apps being introduced to iOS products before you see them on Android is because of demographics and simplicity. While you're correct that there are more Android devices, Apple holds the greatest market share of any device manufacturer. That said, when developers are writing code for apps, it's simpler to do it for iOS because they only have a small handful of screen sizes to deal with (4th and 5th generation iPod & iPhone, iPad Mini and iPad). Plus, with some small exceptions, everyone who owns an Apple device has the latest version of the OS. It's far easier for app developers to write code for only one OS. 

As I understand it, the newest Android OS, Kit Kat 4.4, is going to help tremendously. Almost every Android device will be able to operate Kit Kat. This includes devices with as little as 512 MB of RAM (those would be the original 4G devices that came out about 3 years ago, some people still have those). 

While Kit Kat will help close this app roll out gap, Apple will still have a leg up since they only have about 4 screen size choices to deal with. Let's put it this way, Samsung devices... alone, have more than 4 screen sizes. This is the double edged sword Android users have to deal with when it comes to having more freedom of choice, customization and development over iOS.

Thanks for posting, mr obvious. Everybody know that it's easier to develop for an unfragmented product line like Apples.

The Spotify developers don't need you making excuses for them, they screwed up the deadline for the launch.

In the support sections there's no mention what so ever that it's not available on Android, the only hint is that there is only a tutorial for iOS.

The least they can do is transparent about the fact that the feature is not available on Android yet.

That's weird. I could have sworn that the original announcement included the words "Spotify Connect will roll out to Spotify Premium subscribers on iPhone, iPad and home audio systems over the coming months, with Android and desktop updates to follow."

That seems pretty transparent to me.

Sorry, I wasn't clever enough to put "original announcement Spotify Connect" when I was searching the support pages. The pages I found wasn't very transparent that it's an iOS feature only at the moment.

Yeah so there isn't any mention of this being iOS only on the Spotify pages talking about it. I have just bought one of the compatible Pioneer wireless speakers exclusively to use this function with my android device, only to now discover (after looking online quite a bit before buying) that this only works with iOS. Not even with the standard Windows desktop software!

Not an Apple user, not happy.

Well, connect does work with my phone now, since a couple of months(?) back, but perhaps you need a fairly new Android version to run it? I've got a Xperia ZR, running Android 4.3.

Thanks for the response, I'm running 4.0.3 on my phone and 4.2.2 on my partner's.

Both have version: 0.7.4.610.gd7332b3 of android spotify app

could you confirm if your version of the android app is a different version?

Thanks,

I'm running the same version of Spotify.

I have not tried to use the connect app recently, I mostly stream spotify from my PC or my Squeezebox, but I assume connect still works.

(I'll double check tonight and post if it's not working...)

4.2.2 should be compatible for sure. Are you sure you've had the speakers and the phone connected on the same wifi network when you tried to start Spotify Connect?

EDIT: oh I've got a premium account if I hadn't told that earlier.

I believe that connect is still rolling out to users and a Premium account is needed to use it. The list of compatible Pioneer devices is shown here. All connect hardware works with both iOS and android devices. Connect for the desktop client would be awesome and may happen once it is fully rolled out on android/iOS.

I'm a Spotify Premium user. Also the device is on the same wifi network as the phone.

I can navigate to the device's web page and used this to update with the latest firmware from Pioneer's website. It is listed as one of their compatible devices (XW-SMA4-K)

Basically I see no option to use Spotify Connect from within the app, I believe it is supposed to be a speaker icon. However it isn't there...

Is your speaker definitely ready to be connected to and not in the firmware update mode? I have the same one and for it to be "online" the 3 left most LEDs need to be Blue-Red-Blue.

Peter

Yes the lights are blue, red, blue. Sometimes the Network light flashes, sometimes it is solid. I have tried tapping the input button, which turns the input red light off. Still no obvious way of getting spotify to connect to it...

Just to confirm you do have Spotify premium?

Peter

Suggested posts