Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify connect without a charger plugged in and device locked

Spotify connect without a charger plugged in and device locked

Hello,
I have a question regarding Spotify connect. Why does it work only when the device you are connecting to is plugged in (or not locked)?
The problem is that when I connect to a device and it is unlocked, I can pause and play a song just fine, but when the device locks, the controls work only as long as the music is constanty playing. When I pause the playback and the device is locked, it immediately disconnects and becomes unavailable for listening on. When the device has a charger connected though, this does not happen and I can connect to it and pause and play even though it is locked.
I have read in other thread that this was done by design, and that Spotify "fixed" it by making the connection possible when the charger is plugged in. I wonder why though? Why not make it possible even without the device being charged?
If anyone has any info about this, or does know a workaround to make pause and play through Spotify connect possible even with the device locked and not charging, I would be glad if you could help me make it happen. Thanx!
By the way, I tested this on many phones, PCs and routers and it was the same with every one of these, so it does really seem to be an issue with the Spotify app itself.

2 Replies

this may be because if spotify has to continuously be running in the background, it sucks a lot of battery, and so the creators / editors of the spotify app decided to try and help by having spotify close as to save your battery. When it is on charge, it doesn't matter so much.

Hello, thank you for the feedback.
Well, it did cross my mind that it could be because of the high battery drain, though it seems weird to me that the creators would not leave the choice to the users themselves. And as you do not have to have a screen on while listening, Spotify does not really drain that much. I charge my phone every night because I need to have full battery in the morning, so I have the charger plugged in a socket near my bed. For example almost every day in the afternoon I want to play some music and I know I have more than enough battery to last until I go to sleep and charge the phone again, but I still have to bring a multiplug and move the charger to my phone (and then back when I go to sleep). It is not that big of a deal, but it still is unnecessary so I am just curious what could have led the creators to make such a restriction instead of a pop-up window with a warning for instance. It appears more like a bug rather than a feature to me. Anyway, maybe you are right and they just tried to help by disabling it, which, as illogical as it seems to me, would not surprise me that much, as the phone I am using auto lowers volume level after some time to "prevent me from hearing impairment", apparently with no way of disabling it, so...

Suggested posts