Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify crash immediately on my Galaxy S3

Solved!

Spotify crash immediately on my Galaxy S3

Hello,

I'm a premium member, and Spotify doesn't work on my phone anymore. On the last couple of days, it crashes when I start the application ("Unfortunately, Spotify has stopped").

This morning I was able to access the login screen, but when I was selecting login with Facebook, it said 'login failed'.

I don't know if Facebook or Spotify has updated the app but this is really annoying.

I have version 0.7.9.1170.

I tried to uninstall it, clear the data, restart the phone, reinstall the app.

Doesn't change anything. I don't even have the login screen anymore.

I have a Galaxy S III.

I need some help.

Thank you.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Can you try removing your SD card then reinstalling Spotify (and the re-insert your SD card) and see if that helps at all?

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

View solution in original post

20 Replies

After checking the backtrace report here is what I got:

In com.spotify.mobile.android.service, I got a SIGSEGV (signal 11), code 1 (SEGV_MAPERR), with a fault address 00000000.

The bactrace said the error came from:

/data/app-lib/com.spotify.mobile.android.ui-1/liborbit-jni-spotify.so (sp:orbit::OrbitService::runCoreLoop()+15064)

which is called from

/system/lib/libc.so (free+10)

My guess is  something try to free some memory that has already been freed, or at a wrong address.

Hope this could help.

Marked as solution

Can you try removing your SD card then reinstalling Spotify (and the re-insert your SD card) and see if that helps at all?

Peter

Thank you very much, it worked.

However, as a software developer, I would be interested to know what was going on, and why installing without SD card fixed it.

Can you please give me some details ?

Thank you.

I have no idea, just remember someone else mentioning that it worked for them (I don't work for Spotify).

Peter

Oh okay.

If some spotify developers stop by, can they please provide some details about this issue ?

Thank you

I'm still interested in an explanation of this issue if a developer comes around.

Thank you.

That really saved my day (and a lot of time)!

I just encountered the same problem on a HTC Desire HD running ICS after the latest Spotify update - just to let you know that this doesn't seem to be a device specific or Android version related issue in case someone else gets stuck..

I got the same issue yesterday.

I turned off my phone, and took out the SD card (I needed it for something else).

Then I put it back and turned on my phone. Then spotify was not working anymore.

I had to uninstall Spotify, power off the phone, take out the SD card, restart the phone, install Spotify, power off the phone, put the SD back and turn it back on, then it worked.

Still not sure what's going on there. If a spotify developer is seeing this message, can I have some details about this issue ?

Thank you.

You mentioned you were using version 0.7.9.1170? That's unsupported anyway so maybe install the latest version from play?

What do you mean unsupported ?

At the time of the original post, it was the version from the play store.

Anyway, I now have version 1.0.0.82, and I got the same issue yesterday.

(Actually I don't know if it was the same issue, but the same solution fixed it at least).

Oh ok. What android version are you using? A lot of folk have been having issues with external SD cards and spotify following upgrading to android 4.4.2.

I'm also using 4.4.2.

I upgraded a while ago, but I think this issue happen when you remove your sd card (I put my SD card in an other phone).

Then you have to reinstall spotify without it, and then put it back to make spotify work.

How would this work with a Nexus 5? There is no SD card slot.. Is Spotify not an option for me any longer?

@netvani Is your N5 crashing? If so, try these steps:

• Uninstall spotify
  • Using a file explorer, find and delete, if they exist, the folders  \android\data\com.spotify.music and com.spotify.mobile.android.ui
  • Redownload spotify music from Play

I have a newly factory reset sprint s3 (with freedom pop app), and i can't get it to work with internal storage only. After first install it says SD card not found (every other app finds the internal SD), and then crashes every other time. 

Tried the Airplane mode trick the Nexus 5 users have used...worked once, but hasn't worked since I restarted the phone. Help??

Android Version: 4.4.2 (stock rom)

Spotify Version: 1.1.2.453 (newest as of 7/20/14)

I have a tmobile s3 also running Cyanogenmod rom (android 4.4.4 ) and it works perfectly. 

Do you have an external SD card installed? If so, try uninstalling spotify, remove the external SD card, install spotify and listen to or download some music. If that works, you can reinsert the SD card.

If you don't have an external SD card, how much free space is shown for RAM and internal SD?

No i dont have an sd card installed, but my internal sd card is empty (specifically 4.91 of 16GB used). My ram has approx 750mb free.

i had this same problem for six months and almost gave up on spotify... problem fixed in 2 minutes thank you!!!!

Solution worked! Uninstalled > Took out SD > turned off phone > installed spotify > logged on > put SD back in. Thanks

Suggested posts