Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify crashes and won't open again when connected to bose sport earbuds

Solved!

Spotify crashes and won't open again when connected to bose sport earbuds

Plan

Premium

Country

Belgium

Device

one plus 9

Operating System

android 12

My Question or Issue

Whenever I connect my mobile with the bose sport earbuds, the app crashes and I can no longer open it. I've done a clean install several times. looked for an update for the bose earphones and mobile phone. spotify doesn't crash when i use apple earpods.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

UPDATE

Removing the permission to access nearby devices for Spotify, works! The phone will still play the music/sound through the headphones, though Spotify is not aware of which device is being played through. Controlling play/pause and possibly other modes still works.

View solution in original post

21 Replies

Hey @tibocaterin

Thanks for reaching out about this here in the Community. 

You mentioned that you've already reinstalled the app, but would you mind going through the steps of a clean reinstall, as it's more thorough than a normal one?

On another note, could you let us know if this only happens on your phone or on other devices as well?

Lastly, we'd like to know if this started happening after a specific event such as an update. 

We'll be on the lookout.

EniModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Hey Eni, 

Thanks for the quick respons.

I've done a few clean reinstalls after a normal delation off the app didn't work. cleared chashes. looked for the file com.spotify.music, because this file isn't on my phone I deleted the full memory. (same setting page where you can delete the cash memory). this still didn't fix the problem. 

The crashes happens when I'm connecting my one plus 9 with my bose sport earbuds (I've deleted the bose music app, switched from a SBC connection to an AAC connection type). Connecting the earbuds with my Ipad Pro Causes no crashes. I' know my phone has a battery optimalisation problem where it can cause crashes but I've disabled these. 

The crashes happend at random. on the way to my destination I could use them. Once I've arrived my music was no longer playing and I could't open the app. 

One odd thing is as follow: When I'm logged out, still connected to my earbuds, the app doesn't crash. once I'm logged in it crashes (made a new account, still crashes after logging in)

Hopes this helps to solve the problem

Following with identical issue and identical equipment.  Please fix this...Spotify without headphones is not what I signed up for.

Hi, I have the exact same gear and exactly the same issue.

Temporary solution is to disable the near by device setting then it seems to not crash.

Hey folks,

Thanks for your replies.

@Whily_p, could you explain which settings did you switch off to get around the crashing? 

On another note, did anyone try using different headphones Bluetooth or cable and check if the app is crashing with those?

Keep us posted.

AlexModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

- OnePlus 9 Pro
- Bose 700 headphones
- Same issue

- I have tried with my BT speakers in my car, and here it works just fine.
- Bose has an app used for connecting the headphones to the phone. Shutting this down and connecting the headphones directly to the phone does not change the outcome.
- I see a lot of these posts are fairly recent, which (at least in my case) coincides with a system update of the phone
- I've tried with YouTube, and it plays just fine through the headphones
Marked as solution

UPDATE

Removing the permission to access nearby devices for Spotify, works! The phone will still play the music/sound through the headphones, though Spotify is not aware of which device is being played through. Controlling play/pause and possibly other modes still works.

Did the same test. But not with my car but with my EarPods from apple. No crashes then. I’ve recently checked, and my phone has a new oxygen update as well. I didn’t know it had done an update. 

I also have the same equipment and the same issue, removing the permission to access nearby devices for Spotify has worked for now.

Clean reiinstall wont work here, it seems device specific issue with Bose. Im still waiting on resolution to get mine to work 😞

Hey there folks!

Thank you all for keeping us posted!

And @MangoMoo27, have you tried removing the permission to access nearby devices as suggested above?
It seems to be the working workaround at this moment.

We'll be on the lookout for your response.

Much appreciated!

VasilModerator

Hey! Yep, it works when it's disabled..good luck figuring this out 🙂 thanks for the help!

Hey @MangoMoo27,

Thank you for keeping in contact.

We're glad to know that it's working fine now. We appreciate the time you took following the troubleshooting steps and your good wishes to get this resolved.

In case you have any additional questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Have a great day.

OscarDCModerator

Hi Eni

Has there been a solution to this problem? 

My wireless blutooth earphones have been working perfectly on Spotify for years, up until today. Every time I turn the earphones on  'connecting' Spotify crashes, error 'unfortunately spotify has stopped'. I have tried a shutdown, reinstall, clear cache, and a repairing of earphones. I have tested using 2 different sets of wireless earphones, with same issue. The problem has come out of nowhere. 

I have a Samsung S5, and had no updates I am aware of. 

Have you any solutions / ideas?

SOLUTION NOT FOUND....

Hi @PaulAS1,

Thanks for reaching out. Can you confirm if you've tried changing the setting mentioned by @Vasil? Does this issue only occur on the Samsung device you mentioned?

Let us know how it goes.

JoanModerator

Hi @Joan

I have tried just about everything. The above solution saying 'Removing the permission to access nearby devices for Spotify', my Samsung S5 Andriod Version 6.0.1 - doesn't have a permissions tab saying 'nearby devices'. 

I tested on another Samsung S5 and got the same crash issue. However, no such issue on a Samsung S7, or Samsung S10...with Spotify working perfectly on both. 

So strange, as my Samsung S5 has been great for years up until Monday / Tuesday this week. 

To note, oddly if you log out and then in again Spotify 'sometimes' allows the earphone connection and all is temporally OK, until you close and try and re-launch the app, then it crashes again and again.  

Paul

OK, I've fixed it..!!  (Well for me).

I will explain what I did in the exact same order, as I don't really know which method worked. 

1. Deleted Spotify

2. Turned phone off. Removed battery, sim(s).

3. Pressed & held the power button for 3 minutes.

4. Returned sim(s) & battery, and turned back on.

5. Once turned on and back to the home screen, I pressed and held the power button and both up & down volume buttons at the same time until the phone powered off and on again then I released. 

6. Once back to the home screen I downloaded Spotify from app store.

7. Spotify then worked with my wireless Bluetooth earphones again.  

I hope this works for you all.....I've aged with grey hair this week trying to figure this out. 

Suggested posts