Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify is randomly closing/stopping tracks

Spotify is randomly closing/stopping tracks

Since two months now I'm having issues with Spotify on my Android. While playing music spotify keeps randomly muting/stopping tracks. However the play/pause button is on play. Sometimes the app closes and I have to restart it againl. I've noticed once the track stopped playing and I activate my locking screen, it will sometimes start again. I haven't changed anything on my phone the last months.
I hope someone can help me fix this problem, otherwise I may be forced to switch to another streaming platform because I don't pay for Spotify Premium if I can't listen to my tracks properly.

Plan: Spotify Premium
System: Android 8.1.0

16 Replies

I've been having a similar issue for at least a year now. The app just crashes when I use my phone, meaning when I open another app or just when I activate my phone. Also when I get a call or a message, the app might crash. Not everytime but way too often to not be annoying as **bleep**. Sometimes I also realize that the timeline of a song / podcast will just continue, so when I then restart the app and continue playing a podcast or the like it wont start at that point when the app crashed but it's like the podcast never stopped playing during the time the app was closed. Why is that? When will spotify fix this? I saw many similar issues posted that where marked as 'solved' ... well obviously not. 
I already de- and reinstalled the app which only let to all my podcasts marked as 'heard' being marked as unheard again. Very helpful! Any solution to this would be much appreciated.

Hey there @Tomcat89 and @NoraEspunkt

Thanks for reaching out to the Community about this. 

We're currently aware of an issue causing the behavior you describe. We suggest you go to this Ongoing Issue and add your vote to it by clicking on the +VOTE

It'll also be useful to subscribe via the three-dots menu in the top right corner next to the title. That'll make sure you stay up to date with any relevant updates about this.

Hope this helps. Let us know if you have any more questions. 

Hi, I went to the ongoing issue linked above and don't feel it accurately represents the problem above and the problem I am having. The app doesn't crash when I open it, instead the song I'm listening to randomly pauses and I have to open my phone and press the play button again to get my song back on. Minor differences between my issue and the original posters issue is that my "now playing" screen doesn't show the song still playing, it shows it as paused, and this happens randomly when I'm not using my phone, it could be a foot away from me on my desk and the music will stop.

I have the same problem but with added things. 

I am using Spotify on Windows 10. 

My Spotify randomly mutes but also switches songs to songs that are not in the playlist. That song is then played on repeat while muted.

This issue started since I first used Spotify about a month ago.

I'm having the same issue, a few months now It's been closing or pausing on its own mid track, I usually use Offline mode and play the downloaded songs, so the internet connection can't be the problem and I already deleted everything, uninstalled and reinstalled the app but it still happens.

I started having those problems as of today. When I play music, the app randomly closes and stops playing my music, and what’s more annoying is the fact that it happens within every 5 minutes I’ve been playing the music. Every time this happens, I have to re-open the app, and when I click on the song I was playing, the music will start at a different time than when I left it. I’ve tried looking for updates in the app (there weren’t any), restarting my phone, and even deleting and reinstalling the app. Nothing has worked. I really hope there is a solution soon, because I listen to music from Spotify every day. I don’t want to have to switch to another app because I adore Spotify. I am glad that others are experiencing the same issues because now I know there’s not something wrong with my phone. However I really do hope this can be fixed for all of us.

Dear @Ivan (Moderator). You are not providing a solution.  Why are you redirecting people somewhere else?  

I've got the same issue with spotify just randomly stopping songs in mid play. I mainly use it windows 10, but it does it on my android phone as well. Just started happening a couple months ago. As most of you have done, I uninstalled and reinstalled but its still doing it. App just sits there - I hit the play arrow and nothing. Looks like I'll be going back to Pandora

Hello Ive been going thru the same issues and more.. my followers we down drastically my fans are messaging me saying they still keep getting booted out . Its hard to find my music they say and also every other platform
My songs used to pop up easy now they dont so is it that big record labels are blocking me from getting notice . So i went from 3,000 followers to 236 followers no one is barley listening and on my end i keep investing lots of money with no results how can i get help ? Who can email or talk to

I am also having the same problem and I am on the verge of unsubscribing from the service.

Hey there @GenG1

Thanks for posting on the Community about this. 

This issue has been investigated by our teams and has been fixed. If you still experience this, we recommend running a clean reinstall of the Spotify app on your device. This will ensure any corrupted files from previous installations get removed. 

If this persists, send us a short video recording showing what you see on your end. Just attach the video to your next response to us by using the Insert Video option in the post editor. 

Hope this helps. Keep us posted.  

This is happening to me too and it’s making me very mad. I hope they fix this soon!!!!

Hey there @NASAKitty

Thanks for reaching out about this in the Community, and welcome 🙂

Would you mind letting us know your device's make, model, OS version and the Spotify version you're currently running?

Also, can you confirm if this is happening with all songs?

Keep us posted. 

NovyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

I use a i phone everything is up 2 date

Hey @Erik215

Thanks for reaching out about this. 

Have you already tried performing a clean reinstall of the app? This is often an overlooked step, but it can be helpful for clearing any cache that might be causing trouble. 

If this doesn't do the trick, could you provide the exact model, OS version and Spotify version running on your iPhone?

We'll keep an eye out for your reply.

NovyModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".

Hey folks,

For those of you who are still experiencing this issue we'd recommend the following:

• Some Android phones have Battery Optimization enabled by default. This can hinder the performance of apps such as Spotify. This is why we'd suggest disabling it. You can check how to do this for your specific brand of device here.
  • Head over to this Spotify Answer, to learn why your app might be pausing playback and check if any of the suggestions work for you.

As this is the Android board, we'd suggest for anybody experiencing this issue on another platform like iOS or Windows to post about it in the respectful Help Board.

Hope you find the info provided helpful. We're always a click away if you need more help or have questions

AlexModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

Suggested posts