Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify keeps downloading my "already downloaded" music (and the size of the app keeps growing...)

Spotify keeps downloading my "already downloaded" music (and the size of the app keeps growing...)

Hello, I have an issue with all of my downloaded songs

I have a premium account and I downloaded all my 2000 songs so that I can listen to them on "offline mode"

But today, without any explanations, all my songs are not available anymore, the green arrow near every music, the one which shows you that your song is available offline, is now grey. Therefore, I can't listen to them anymore if I don't download them again ...

BUT, I also have a HUGE problem ! Not only my songs are not available anymore and I have to download them again, but all the previous songs are not deleted either !! Because the size of the app remains the same ! And when I download them again (sadly), the size taken by Spotify keeps growing

This means that all my songs are gone, I can't listen to them anymore but I still have 8GB of music on my app. And when I start to download them, Spotify add all the songs to the previous 8GB ... How is it even possible ??

35 Replies

I have the same problem. Where can I find the storage booster setting? 

Cheers 

Where can I find that setting? 

Hey there folks,

Thanks for reaching out and voicing your issues.

What information we have gathered so far points to interference with the cache of the Spotify app as the root cause of the problem. You should disable all storage and cache optimization apps or add Spotify as an exception. After that the steps here for a complete reinstall should do the trick.  Keep in mind that some devices come with such apps preinstalled, so it's a good idea to look for such, even if you haven't downloaded any yourself.

@Badelhas the app Storage Booster @Vicky161 mentioned is such an app. It's possible that you don't have it installed and that's why you can't find it. We recommend that you do a search for other similar applications and remove them. If you're unsure about the function of a specific app on your device, you should try and contact their support for further information.

Hope you find this useful. Keep us posted how you get on.

Mihail Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Hi

All these replies pertain to the APP ie you are running Spotify on your
phone.

It does not help the situation where you are running Spotify from a PC or
laptop, with your music files stored on an external hard drive and Spotify
defaults to an internal location if the hard drive is "temporarily"
disconnected.
I have previously pointed out that this is "Poor" code and it would be
relatively simply for a good code writer to insert a flag that on
failure to detect the stored location Spotify puts up a question "Do you
want to reconnect your storage device or return to default location". So
many other programs do this, wake up Spotify!

Thanks
John

Hi. Thanks for your answer. 

I own a Google Pixel 2 smartphone and don't have any App like storage booster. I only have 2 file managers installed, Amaze and Files by Google and I believe that they don't mess with the storage cache. 

Can you please give us a proper solution for this problem? It seems many of us are having this issue and for a long time now, it seems, from all the replies from the other users.

Cheers

André Mendes 

Hey folks,

Thanks for your replies.

@Badelhas we recommend that you disable the two file managers and then do a clean reinstall of the Spotify app and see if the issue comes up again. This is the only way we can make sure that they're not interfering with the cache. It would also help us out a lot if you test whether or not the issue comes up if you remove the downloads manually yourself and then download them again.

If you're using an SD card, you should make sure it's not formatted as "Internal" memory since formatting an SD Card to be used as Internal memory (called "Adoptable Storage") creates issues with the Spotify cache and downloads.

@johnf52 we appreciate your feedback and will make sure that it reaches the right teams. In the meantime you can post an idea with your suggestions. The Idea Exchange is a great way for us to see what our users are interested in and how many people like a certain idea. You can read more about it here.

Hope you find this useful. Keep us posted if you have any questions.

Mihail Moderator
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

This doesn't help at all. I am also experiencing the same migrating issue in multiple times occasions.

I have been I migrating spotify to external drive and this damn **bleep**ing app keeps migrating itself back to Cdrive when I turn on mm pc and when it opens, it redownloads everything **bleep**ing playlist. Like what the **bleep**?! THIS HAS HAPPENING NUMEROUS TIMES. IT'S **bleep**ING FRUSTRATING!!! 

Cach this cach that**bleep** DOES NOT HELP!!

Hey @RobertJacobs,

Thank you for reaching the Community.

The issue you’re describing isn't the same issue described by the original poster or in the thread.

But a similar issue has been reported before, take a look at this post. It has some steps that seemed to work for other users, please give it a try. If the issue persists, you can add your comment on that same post.

If anything else comes up, the Community will be here for you.

JulianModerator

If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

Why do wee need to sacrifice other apps that we use just for the spotify? Can't you do soemthing about it on your end? Also, this issue does not only happen it android version but desktop version as well. 

Not OP but I have the same issue with my SD card and Spotify. Do you have a better solution than just reinstalling every time it happens?

Hey @CaseyOverland,

Thanks for your reply in this thread.

In this case, can you share with us what troubleshooting you've tried so far? This way we'll avoid repeating any steps 🙂

On another note, would you mind sending us more details about what exactly you're experiencing? Can you let us know the exact make/model and OS of your device along with the Spotify version you have installed? 

Keep in mind that this can happen if a playlist you've downloaded has been recently modified, so the next time you open the app it'll try to sync to reflect the recent changes in that downloaded playlists. This could usually happen if you downloaded playlists created by other users, Spotify created playlists that update often, Made for you playlists, Collaborative playlists, etc. So if you've downloaded some of these playlists, this can explain the behavior you describe.

Keep us in the loop!

AlejaRModerator

Hello Jemi,

The link you gave is not working, same problem is with me. And I remember some time I have used battery saving mode in my android. Please tell me more about this if there are any new methods ( easy one )
Thank You.

I also have this problem. Do you have an iPhone? I do. 😒

I have this same issue as everybody else in here. If we pay for this service, especially because of the "offline mode", so why it keeps telling me I am offline and I can't listen to my songs and podcasts? When the Spotify staff will admit it's THEIR problem and not ours? It's a very simple problem to solve. Fix this issue and stop putting the source of the problem on the user. 

We should all make this public, disclose it to social awareness. There's something behind this that the company is taking advantage for sure.

Plan

Free/Premium

Country

USA

Device

Android Samsung A10 (I think)

Operating System

(iOS 10, Android Oreo, Windows 10,etc.)

My Question or Issue

Is anyone else having downloaded playlists downloading hundreds of songs per day some times?

Lemme clarify, I have thousands of songs downloaded because I travel a lot. Recently over the last 2 or 3 months I'll open Spotify and have like 500+ songs needing to download. It's often over many many playlists. Today this happened (1200+ songs needed to redownload) and Discover Weekly had 16 missing songs. That playlist is stagnant for a week and somehow within that time 16 of the 30 songs needed to redownload. What is happening?

My guess was that they needed to recertify or something. But Discover Weekly needing to recertify when I've had the playlist downloaded for 4 days now... What?

I have noticed that repeatedly my entire Spotify library is being removed and redownloaded.  Is this a way to increase your data reporting of downloads to musicians?!? It is frustrating as it increases my cellular data usage and completely limits my offline access (major reason for having Spotify). Last week I was jumping on a plane and had none of the downloaded music I wanted to listen too.  I have tried all the suggested remedies and even after clearing and reinstalling last night I woke up to the app downloading my library after having download it the night before.  
Why.  Once downloaded this should not happen unless I remove it.  
- Scott

Suggested posts