Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify keeps playing during phone calls

Spotify keeps playing during phone calls

Hi,

Spotify often keeps playing when I'm in a phone call. I already cleared the data and reinstalled Spotify, but the problem persists.

I have discovered it only happens when Spotify is in the background playing, but no notification icon is shown. However, I know for certain when I start Spotify and return to the home screen of the device the icon is showing. Somehow the icon disappears after some time of playback, and that's when the problem exists.

Also, the same issue exists with the Bluetooth audio connection: When Spotify is playing without the icon in the notification bar, the music will keep on playing when the Bluetooth audio device is disconnected.

Looks like the music playing stays active in the background, while the (separate?) foreground service is stopped.

My device:

Nexus 5X on Android 7 (not rooted)

Latest Spotify updates (6.5.0.1816)

Any ideas?

EDIT: I now see there was an other topic on this board with the same issue (https://community.spotify.com/t5/Android/Spotify-disappeared-from-tray-lock-screen/td-p/1468466). The post marked as a solution is to downgrade to 6.2 and disabling auto-updates, which is in my opinion not a good solution.

All notifications are allow for Spotify in the app settings.

Best regards,

Peter

5 Replies

Hi @Peter77

I've seen a similar experience in this community. Please check out the solutions here.

Hope it helps.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

P.S. I'm not a Spotify employee

If this post solved your issue - Accept it as a solution.

If you like my post - Please add likes to it.

Hi @cherryblossoms8,

Thank you for your reply!

I have checked the solutions, and it seems to have worked for now. I can only wonder why does Spotify needs all these steps to be taken, and not just works. To clarify per solution:

1) Need the reenable the permissions via Settings: Spotify itself can check if it has these permissions on startup (http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7203668/how-permission-can-be-checked-at-runtime-without-throwing...). In Android 6 and higher they can even request permissions runtime;

2) Need to disable battery optimization; Play Music doesn't need this, why does Spotify?

Best regards,

Peter

Hi Peter77 

I also have this problem. There seems to be an issue with android 7.1 and spotify, where you have to keep reseting the premissions to have controll over spotify, and when you reset the premissions it have controll for about 30-60 mins or so atleast in my case

Since beta testing is closed i had to download the new beta (6.9.0.1162) from apkmirror 
i have just testet it for 1 day but so far thing seems to work ok.

Hi,

The issue is not yet solved by the solutions of re-enabling the permissions and disabling the battery optimization. A few moments ago I received a phone call; while the phone is ringing the music is muted, but when I answer the call the music plays via the phone speaker. To pause Spotify I have to go to my home screen, launch Spotify and click pause. The notification icon and controls where not available.

Before receiving the call the phone was playing music via Bluetooth audio.

Looks like the Spotify icon disappears after playing for a few hours, even with battery optimization disabled for Spotify.

Best regards,

Peter

Hi GreenChees,

I also downloaded the beta (6.9.1162) from apkmirror, but the problem still persists in my case. I also contacted Spotify directly with this issue, and they say their developers are working on this issue. Let's hope they find a solution soon 🙂

Best regards,

Peter

Suggested posts