Premium

Country

USA

Device

Google pixel 3a

Operating System

Android 11

My Question or Issue

When I opened spotify today, I started listening to music and when I go to close the app it kept on playing music when it should have stopped playing music. I couldn't get it to stop until I force stopped the application. I already tried reinstalling the app and restarting my phone. 

Top Answer
Jᴀᴄᴋ
Roadie

Hey there!

Thanks for reaching out to the community with your question,

I suggest you disconnect all devices from your account here..

Please make sure to check these settings this again as that could be the issue:

1.  Mobile Settings> Apps> Spotify> Permissions. Allow everything you see there.
2. Mobile settings> Apps> Spotify> Battery> Optimize battery usage> select top All (not optimized for apps)> Spotify> disable.
3. Restart the phone.

Let me know how this goes.

Jack 🙂

4 Replies

Hey there!

Thanks for reaching out to the community with your question,

I suggest you disconnect all devices from your account here..

Please make sure to check these settings this again as that could be the issue:

1.  Mobile Settings> Apps> Spotify> Permissions. Allow everything you see there.
2. Mobile settings> Apps> Spotify> Battery> Optimize battery usage> select top All (not optimized for apps)> Spotify> disable.
3. Restart the phone.

Let me know how this goes.

Jack 🙂

Yup. Same exact thing happening to me. Just got a new Pixel 4a and have Android 11. I didn't have this issue with my previous Pixel 3a. Have a feeling it's a bug. Not sure if it's related to also having a google home mini as a connected device. But one thing I noticed is the Spotify icon never shows up in the top left bar as an app that's open even when I'm in it. 

Did the same thing of reinstalling, clearing storage, cache, disconnecting devices. Nothing working. Really frustrating.

I've also had this issue for a couple of weeks, now. I spent the last two days troubleshooting via email with support and ultimately they suggested I post my issue here. I'm on a Pixel 3a, Spotify version 8.5.79.1061 (though this began before the update that dropped on Oct. 6), Android v11.

Allowing all permissions and disabling battery optimization didn't work; the link given to disconnect all devices leads to a 404.

I also:

• Cleared cache
  • Cleared storage
  • Rebooted my phone (duh lol)
  • Reinstalled the Spotify app
  • Factory reset my phone
  • Tested for the issue on a test account they gave me the login info for; the issue persisted there

Additional info:

• This bug occurs on both WiFi and LTE/I don't have the ability to manually switch to 3G and therefore cannot test that.
  • I had roughly 25 GB in storage free at the time the issue began; I currently have about 40 GB free.
  • I am able to force-quit the app (i.e., stop the music playing) by force-stopping it through the Settings app. I am able also to force-quit by way of an app that clears my caches and closes background apps.
  • The cache-clearer app I use (DroidOptimizer) is not in conflict with Spotify (issue persists when Spotify is whitelisted, when DO is not set to clear, and when DO is uninstalled).
  • DO reports Spotify as open, even after attempting to quit Spotify, and additionally reports Spotify as closed after running cleanup tasks.
  • I also use the desktop version of Spotify; this issue does not exist there - it only occurs on the mobile version.
  • The support team identified an issue with the cache on their end and cleared it; the issue still persisted.
  • Other streaming apps do not have this issue.
  • I am subscribed to Spotify Premium.

Since Golferboyhc mentioned that the icon doesn't appear on the Pixel 4a's top bar, I also want to note that the icon does appear in mine, then disappears after a moment. I don't know if that's necessarily significant, but it's unusual, at least.

Hey folks,

Thanks for getting in touch with us 🙂

The troubleshooting steps you've tried so far are very good. If the app continues playing music after closing it, you might be experiencing this issue. You can add your +Vote and Subscribe to the thread. That way you can stay up-to-date with any relevant news about this.

If you have questions, don't hesitate to reach out to us. We'll be happy to help.

Ver Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Suggested posts