Premium

Country

USA

Device

Samsung Galaxy S21+

Operating System

Windows 10 

My Question or Issue

Today, I created a new account, and added it under a Duo Plan Membership. I downloaded the Desktop app, and the Mobile app, and for some reason, I'm able to play different songs on both devices, using the same account. 

I found a post outlining the same issue, but that was from 2017, and said it was fixed by updating to Spotify v8.4+.  I'm using the most recent Spotify version (8.6.10.581). 

I also tried uninstalling and reinstalling both Desktop and Mobile Apps multiple times, and still getting the same behavior.

Is it possible this bug reared its head again?

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Android/Spotify-plays-on-both-phone-and-computer-at-the-same-time/t...

EDIT: Also, I wanted to mention that when I'm playing different songs on both applications, I do not see the other device listed under Devices Available.

3 Replies

Hey there @dendrome

Thanks for reaching out about this in the Community, and welcome 🙂 

We understand you've already tried reinstalling the app. However, we'd like to suggest a clean reinstall as it's more thorough than a regular one and can be helpful to get rid of any corrupted files that might be causing issues.

If this doesn't do the trick, could you confirm the OS version on your phone and the app version on your computer? 

We'll keep an eye out for your reply. 

NovyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Hi Novy,

Thanks for the quick response.

I figured out the issue - it had nothing to do with Spotify settings.

I downloaded the Desktop App to my personal computer, and to my surprise, it worked. I then remembered I had the issue on my work computer - which is always connected to a VPN. They must automatically refuse the necessary connections to make this work.

I tried using the Desktop app on my work computer without connecting to the VPN, and it worked. After logging into the VPN, it stopped.

I should have realized, d'oh!

Thanks again for your reply. Have a good rest of the week.

Hey @dendrome

Fantastic news! Give us a shout if it starts misbehaving again; we're always here to help. 

Have a good one 🙂

EniModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Suggested posts