Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify refuses to acknowledge that I'm online

Spotify refuses to acknowledge that I'm online

Hi, I'm new to using this forum board, so let me know if I'm missing information required to solve this problem.  I'm trying to get spotify to play from my tablet at work, but it's not recognizing that the tablet is connected to the internet.  At work, I can get spotify to play from my computer, and no one else at work has problems using spotify on the computer. When I'm at home, the tablet recognizes the internet connection and lets me play my music.

Some important information:

Lenovo A7600 tablet

Running on KitKat (4.4.2)

Spotify version 2.0.0.702

20Mbps internet speed

Some things I've tried:

Uninstalling and reinstalling the app

Clearing the data and cache

Restarting the tablet

Forgetting and reconnecting to the network

16 Replies

Welcome to the Community!

Have you tried disconnecting to the Internet and reconnecting?

Ace!

What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?

My Profile!//Currently Cool Playlist

If I helped you or made you laugh or just was awesome, Kudo me?
If I gave you a solution, then click that 'Accept as Solution' button!

Have you tried disconnecting to the Internet and reconnecting?

Hadn't before, thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, it didn't fix the problem. 

Hmm. Give me some time to think about it...

Ace!

Hi there!

Could you attach a screenshot?

Hello again!

One thing you could do if you still can't get it to work:

Use Spotify's Web Player!

I use it now because my Spotify won't work on my laptop either.

It's really easy to use!

Here's the link: Spotify Web Player.

Ace!

You can also try contacting support. They might be able to help. 

https://www.spotify.com/about-us/contact/contact-spotify-support/

If you get an automated reply email telling you to check the help section or the community, you need to reply back to it.

Support usually replies within 24-48 hours.

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

I don't know exactly what information you want out of the screenshot, but here you go. If there's a different screenshot that would work better, let me know.  As you can see, the internet connection shows up in the top right side, but spotify won't acknowledge it.

Screenshot_2015-02-03-10-49-49.png

@MattSuda wrote:

You can also try contacting support. They might be able to help. 

https://www.spotify.com/about-us/contact/contact-spotify-support/

If you get an automated reply email telling you to check the help section or the community, you need to reply back to it.

Support usually replies within 24-48 hours.

Thanks for the reply, I kinda thought that the community forums WERE  the tech support for spotify, so it's good to know there's other options.  Sent them the information already, if I get a fix for it, I'll post the solution

Is the wireless particularly slow or is it packed with other users? I think to count as being online you must have to have a certain speed and bandwidth available as sometimes i have a 3g connection but spotify still thinks im offline because I have poor reception. I assume the desktop client doesn't have this feautre as it probably assumes your internet is okay all the time which is why you colleagues can always get on. Can you try doing an internet speed test and letting us see the results?

Check me out on Twitter
Did this solve your problem? If so mark it as solution or if you liked this post feel free to give me Kudos for it

Have you tried reinstalling the app? That works most of the time, also have you tried connecting to other Wi-Fi networks?

Let me know if that solved your issue.

Happy Spotifying!

He mentioned in his post it works fine at home which leads me to believe its specific to the network rather than a hardware issue

Check me out on Twitter
Did this solve your problem? If so mark it as solution or if you liked this post feel free to give me Kudos for it

Oh sorry didn't notice that, yes sometimes it's the network sometimes when I get on public ones and it's crowded (or you know many people are using it) Spotify takes it as offline... but I don't think it's a problem with the app but the network.

@ErickRGuetta wrote:
Oh sorry didn't notice that, yes sometimes it's the network sometimes when I get on public ones and it's crowded (or you know many people are using it) Spotify takes it as offline... but I don't think it's a problem with the app but the network.

No worries about not noticing. I'm most inclined to believe that it's a problem with the app not recognizing the internet rather than a problem with the network itself.  I say this because I have connected to spotifiy via my computer with zero complications.  Internet speed is good (about to post the value), but I don't know how having too many people on a network would affect the app.  I also know that the office isn't very big, either, though.

@GavinHenderson6 wrote:

Is the wireless particularly slow or is it packed with other users? I think to count as being online you must have to have a certain speed and bandwidth available as sometimes i have a 3g connection but spotify still thinks im offline because I have poor reception. I assume the desktop client doesn't have this feautre as it probably assumes your internet is okay all the time which is why you colleagues can always get on. Can you try doing an internet speed test and letting us see the results?

Did a speed check with my computerand got 20Mbps, and did one with my tablet and got the same.  There's around 10-15 people in total at the office, so it seems to me the internet connection is high enough that it shouldn't have a problem.  However, it's not as though I know what the actual cutoff value would be.  I did, however, bring it up with the tech support person I'm talking to, so thanks for suggestion.

That would be well above what i imagine the cut off would be but bandwidth could still be an issue. Let me know how you get on

Check me out on Twitter

I couldn't get the damn thing to recognize I was on line, either.  Here's what worked for me.  sign in to web player on your device.  go to your account.  you might have a really weird user name which is not your email address.  that's what happened to me.  copy that, paste in the app.  put in your password.  mine logged in fine after finding and using that weird username instead of my email.  

Suggested posts