Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify started using ridiculous amounts of background data

Spotify started using ridiculous amounts of background data

I have an LG G3, and Spotify randomly started usuing crazy amounts of background data. I tried reinstalling it, and I played one song, and it used 3 mb of foreground data, and 14.50 mb of background data. I only get 1 gb a month so I cant even use spotify anymore. I have a free account.

When i disable background data, spotify says that its offline, which Im pretty sure isn't supposed to happen either.
19 Replies

Please read the guide linked below for details on the most common issues and how to fix them. Usually a clean install is the first step to take and resolves most of the usual issues; the guide details the steps to take to ensure a full 'clean installation' is achieved - This includes checking redundant folders and a REBOOT!

[COMPLETE GUIDE] How to fix most Android issues

Please use the search feature before posting a problem/bug/idea.
What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
     Using Spotify Since March 10th 2009
     Twitter: @mechanimal82

Android Troubleshooting:
Spotify Android Version History

I don't have those folders in my file manager anywhere. 

So have you completed a full install? Now check your usage and see if it's reduced.

Android Troubleshooting:

It's still using more background data.

Check the data usage in the Android App manager... is it definitely Spotify using all this data?

Android Troubleshooting:

Yes, it shows bars for each one and when you click on it, it shows how much foreground and background data has been used by it

Hi. I've escalated this post to staff so hopefully they can look into it for you.

Android Troubleshooting:

Thank you!

Hi There,

Staff have come back to me to say they are seeing a few reports of this. To help troubleshoot the issue are you able to provide some estimated time frames of when you were listening? If you can, can you provide timeframes of when your listening peaked and rough times that your data consumption was highest, then they'll be able to analyse things more closely. 

If you're able to provide screenshots (particularly of the bars mentioned) then this will be super helpful.

Thanks

Android Troubleshooting:

Ive already uninstalled the app so screenshots wont be possible. I noticed it about April 5th, when my phone notified me that i was at 800 mb of data, when on the 3rd, i only had 500. I used spotify throughout the 3rd, 4th, and 5th of april. I uninstalled it once I saw, and only reinstalled it to try again. Each time I tried again I would play one song and it would use 15 mb of background data

Hi @xletsp1aygod

I believe the issue should be now resolved. Can you log out of the app, then back in again (twice) then everytihing should be back to normal.

Android Troubleshooting:

Nope, it still uses way more background data. 

I recommend you contact Spotify Support using the form here.

You will get an automated reply at first, however if you need to chase them just reply to the email as it does get monitored.

Android Troubleshooting:

I am seeing a similar issue.

Spotify has eaten 2GB of cellular data today. This morning I reinstalled Spotify and downloaded my albums again using public WIFI. I had turned off "download over WIFI" and listed to downloaded music. So I would expect my usage to be very small. I noticed an issue because my phone was getting hot in my pocket and the data transfer icon was on. I did a Force Stop" on Spotify and my data transfer icon turned off. The Data Usage screen on Android shows the 2.07GB of cellular usage since the reinstall and 6.14GB for "removed apps", i.e. the previous install.

Last week Spotify ate through 3GB on the day I was alerted about a "new version of spotify". I renewed my mobile contract to get more data and so also renewed my Spotify contract. I then installed the new version of Spotify. I have turned the phone off several times since. I was hoping this would fixed my issue.

I reinstalled today because Spotify because my downloaded playlists had become un-downloaded and that looked wrong and I wanted to avoid a repeat of last week. In the process Spotify claimed my device was full. Spotify is storing to SD card and I have at least 40GB free on the card.

I listen to Spotify every day. I have had Spotify on this phone for more than 2 years. This is the first time my monthly cellular data usage has exceeded 5GB - which was my old alarm level.

Version: 5.1.0.849
Android Version: 5.0
Phone: Galaxy Note 3 (SM-N9005)

@ZorkII wrote:
I am seeing a similar issue.

Spotify has eaten 2GB of cellular data today. This morning I reinstalled Spotify and downloaded my albums again using public WIFI. I had turned off "download over WIFI" and listed to downloaded music. So I would expect my usage to be very small. I noticed an issue because my phone was getting hot in my pocket and the data transfer icon was on. I did a Force Stop" on Spotify and my data transfer icon turned off. The Data Usage screen on Android shows the 2.07GB of cellular usage since the reinstall and 6.14GB for "removed apps", i.e. the previous install.

Last week Spotify ate through 3GB on the day I was alerted about a "new version of spotify". I renewed my mobile contract to get more data and so also renewed my Spotify contract. I then installed the new version of Spotify. I have turned the phone off several times since. I was hoping this would fixed my issue.

I reinstalled today because Spotify because my downloaded playlists had become un-downloaded and that looked wrong and I wanted to avoid a repeat of last week. In the process Spotify claimed my device was full. Spotify is storing to SD card and I have at least 40GB free on the card.

I listen to Spotify every day. I have had Spotify on this phone for more than 2 years. This is the first time my monthly cellular data usage has exceeded 5GB - which was my old alarm level.

Version: 5.1.0.849
Android Version: 5.0
Phone: Galaxy Note 3 (SM-N9005)

As per the OP I recommend you contact Spotify Support using the form here.

You will get an automated reply at first, however if you need to chase them just reply to the email as it does get monitored.

Anyone else who has this issue please contact support directly.

Android Troubleshooting:

I think i have fixes my issue. I got a new SD card; copied my old SD card onto it as a disk image; deleted the com.Spotify.music folder as the FAQ suggested; then reinstalled Spotify.

It was easier to duplicate the card using my Linux laptop with "dd". Earlier " chkdsk" found an issue on the card inside the "com.Spotify.music" folder. It was not enough to delete com.Spotify.music on the old card probably because of a fault on that card.

I took the new version of Spotify a day after moving to the new card. Does the new version limit the cellular data wasted with a corrupt SD card?

This started happening to me in the past couple weeks, i keep setting it to offline when im not connected to wifi and yet i still rip through data. Today spotify has used over 35mb of data, i haven't used it and i just check and it is set to offline. I have a Samsung S5 and i also restricted the background data usage but nothing is working

I am getting the same issue too.

Yes, this is a problem, I even set my music quality lower.
Screenshot_2017-08-11-23-55-40.png

Suggested posts