Premium Trial

Country

United States

Device

Samsung Note 20 Ultra

Operating System

Android 11

My Question or Issue

Spotify will just start randomly playing.  Many time it's when I open my phone or another app.  Occasionally it just starts on its own.  I did the clean wipe and reinstall and the issue is still a problem.  It's the same song and not one from what I've just been listening to.

Top Answer
Yordan

Hey folks!

It seems that other users have are experiencing something similar in this thread here. I recently posted there and some people have reported that it did the trick for them, so feel free to check out my post and give it a shot.

Cheers!

25 Replies

Hi there @ReadyPlayerOne,

Thanks for reaching out to the Community and welcome!

In this case, make sure to follow all the steps in this article to secure your account and make sure no one else has access to it.

Keep us posted on how it goes.

CarlosEModerator

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

I established my account with the google authentication service, so I don't have an password to change.  I just signed up a month ago and haven't shared my account details with anyone.  Why don't you all fix your app so music doesn't start without initiation from the user no matter what the case?

Hey @ReadyPlayerOne,

Thank you for your reply. 

Even if you haven't shared your login information, there's a small chance your account was vulnerated. If you created it using the Google option, you can change your password here using your Gmail address. 

Also, please let us know if you followed the rest of the steps shared by @CarlosE in the article, such as signing out everywhere and removing access to all 3rd party apps. 

Lastly, let us know if this happens only when you have internet connection, or if it also happens when you have active the Offline Mode.

Keep us posted!

MafeGModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

have very similar problem since 2 months, I have samsung s20 and spotify starts playing by itself in various situations.

I've che checked:

Bixby has no routines,

all samsungs apps are logged out,

spotify is reinstalled

spotify is logged on new free account 

I have to mute phone or log out/in spotify.

Any sugestion what to do, check, changed?

Hey @qiqut,

Thanks for getting in touch.

We're sorry to hear that. In this case, we suggest that you follow the instructions under the Lost anything? section of the article @CarlosE sent previously so our Support team can take a look at your account and help you with this.

If you need a hand with anything else, the Community is here for you. 

EniModerator

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Hello! I had same kind of problem. My Pixel 6 starting to play music on spotify randomly. I found out that when I force stop the app it would "restart" in the backround and behave like i was opening the app --> start playing music. So in the spotify settins there is setting called "Spotify connect in background" and when its enabled spotify can play music even if the app is closed. So turn this off and it sould fix this kind of problems.

(Spotify still working like It sould u can listen music in background and when phone is closed)

THANK YOU!  So helpful!

Lol - why couldn't the Spotify help team suggest that instead of telling us our accounts were hacked like 4 times in this thread.  Maybe CarlosE should add this to his all knowing article? 🙂 

Hello! Update to my earlier post! It did not work! The thing is that spotify app is configured to play music when it detects bluethoot "media" device. So for me it just plays when ever it wants... I try to prevent this in settings but no help. Best solution is to instal another music streaming app.

Hi everybody,

Thanks for posting on the Community.

In this case, we recommend to deactivate the Autostart option by heading to your phone's Settings > Applications > Spotify > Autostart. Afterwards, restart your device and let us know if the issue still persists. 

We'll be here standing by.

CarlosEModerator

Interesting - I haven't had a flare up since I updated my settings based on your suggestion. It's only been a few days but it used to happen daily.  So I'm still gonna say you helped fix my issue 😄

I only have one Bluetooth connection and it doesn't even autoplay when I'm connected so I don't think I have the same setting. Good luck! 

I see more and more and more complaints about Spotify opening by itself, whether the phone is sitting in a drawer, on a table, in a pocket, in the car, no PC in sight or in range.

What the heck is WITH that?

I'm not seeing a definitive SOLUTION!!

Thoughts? Ideas?

This thing is driving me crazy....and will be UNINSTALLED very soon!

Thanks for any help.

What fixed your issue?

I don't have Spotify installed on my PC.

My phone can be untouched but will launch Spotify EVERY DAY at some time between 8AM and NOON.

No reason. No other activity. Phone can be sitting on a table UNTOUCHED for the entire morning.......but suddenly starts to play music for NO REASON.

I have the current version installed, uninstalled and REinstalled. No difference.

What's going on?????????????????????

I have android 12 and i didnt find solution. I tried everything from power management to spotify settings. It was like spotify app didnt care any restrictions that i tried. Only solution for me was to move on another music stream app.

"autoplay" in spotify settings means that same type music is continued playing after you finish playlist that you were listening.

Hi @DalhousieGuy,

We're sorry to hear you're still having issues with it. 

Could you send us the make/model, OS version and Spotify version installed on your device? Also, tell us if the issue started after a recent update and if the issue persists with other devices. 

We'll be here waiting for your reply. 

NovyModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Pixel 6, adroid 12, unistalled spotify.

Problems started right after i got my phone and gradually got worse.  11.2021 ->

Hi! Another suggestion I haven't seen posted here. I was also having this problem on my Pixel 6 (my professor was *mad* when it happened twice in one class). Turns out, I had the "Quick Tap" gesture turned on, so Spotify started playing when I double tapped the back of the phone. I turned that off and haven't had the issue since. 

Settings > System > Gestures > Quick Tap > toggle off. 

I hope this helps! 

My was turned off

I was aware of this and it was off

Suggested posts