Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify stops responding/freezes when playing songs offline

Spotify stops responding/freezes when playing songs offline

I have the app on my honor 8 (marshmallow) and when I'm playing songs off my offline playlist, after a while it stops responding and I can't change the songs or pause. I have to stop and restart the app and it happens again. I've even uninstalled and reinstalled the app and have the same issue.
5 Replies

I have the same problem on my s7 edge

@spotted13 wrote:
I have the app on my honor 8 (marshmallow) and when I'm playing songs off my offline playlist, after a while it stops responding and I can't change the songs or pause. I have to stop and restart the app and it happens again. I've even uninstalled and reinstalled the app and have the same issue.

I have the same problem, and when you open the app, it doesn't acknowledge it's stopped responding (or if it does, I'm too impatient to wait for it). I've also noticed that if you are wearing headphones, usually unplugging stops the song, but if it has crashed, my phone just continues playing out loud due to it having stopped responding.
Some issues I have ruled out:
Power saving (known issue with android 6.0.X causes other symptoms) - turned off power saving, issue still occurred
Storage and/or cache - my phone had little space remaining and I was playing downloaded songs. Spotify had manage to accumulate 5gb of space through (I assume, but cannot confirm) me downloading the weekly discovery list and not being able to delete historic discovery songs. I usually I clear cache on spotify when having issues, but this time I actually uninstalled the app to free up the 5gb. This cleared 4gb after I reinstalled and downloaded my music.
This may be a bit anecdotal, but for me it appears to occur more frequently when skipping through songs.

Configuration details to follow
Phone - Samsung galaxy s6
Os - android 6.0.1
Spotify version - 7.0.0.1369 armV7

Same problem here on my S7 Edge. 😞

Update: So I updated Spotify to the latest version last night, used it for one hour going to work and an hour back today and had no problems. I was skipping songs like normal and experienced no freezes or any other issues.

Of course this is the first day after the update so after a couple days I'll be sure. But 2 hours of play with regular skipping and no freezing is a good sign. Hopefully if you haven't updated since yesterday, this will solve it.

Update #2: Unfortunately, the fix didn't last for long. It freezes again like before and I don't know if anyone at Spotify looks at these. I think I'm going to switch to Google Play Music

Suggested posts