Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify won't recognize android phone over wifi!

Solved!

Spotify won't recognize android phone over wifi!

Hey there, 

I am in college and we use enterprise encryption... even though that both of my PC and andorid (Sony Xperia Ion) are connected to the same wifi, my pc client won't "see" my android... is there a work-around so I can get my local files on there?

Thanks!

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey! Welcome to the community 🙂 

Several of my friends had this issue last year, and we never found a work around. 

The issue was that the uni WiFi did not have the ports Spotify needs to sync open, and uni being uni wouldn't open them for us! 

Any chance of finding another network? 

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

Hey there, thanks for posting. If it's on your college WiFi, they've probably blocked UPnP or certain settings that need to be active for Spotify to recognise your Android. Unfortunately that means there's no way around it directly, so syncing a bunch of local files off-campus would be your only option.

You could also try emailing your IT department and asking them to see what they can do - I've heard at least one group of Spotify users in an Australian university had success with that.

--------------------------------------------------------------

For common support questions, see support.spotify.com.
To judge my musical taste, check out my last.fm.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Marked as solution

Hey! Welcome to the community 🙂 

Several of my friends had this issue last year, and we never found a work around. 

The issue was that the uni WiFi did not have the ports Spotify needs to sync open, and uni being uni wouldn't open them for us! 

Any chance of finding another network? 

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Marked as solution

Hey there, thanks for posting. If it's on your college WiFi, they've probably blocked UPnP or certain settings that need to be active for Spotify to recognise your Android. Unfortunately that means there's no way around it directly, so syncing a bunch of local files off-campus would be your only option.

You could also try emailing your IT department and asking them to see what they can do - I've heard at least one group of Spotify users in an Australian university had success with that.

--------------------------------------------------------------

For common support questions, see support.spotify.com.
To judge my musical taste, check out my last.fm.

I don't understand why Spotify does not have an option to sync over cable for Android and iPhone, it would be a simple fix to this problem.

There is a way to synch to android and iOS devices, actually. Simply create an ad-hoc network on your desktop/laptop then join it with your mobile. You should then be able to synch normally.

Is there a way that, if I plug my phone into the computer, I can get an enhanced sync?That would be a very useful alternative if wifi is slow.

Spotify will not synch over a USB connection, so I'm afraid not.

Suggested posts