Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Still syncing playlists while in 3G network with "Download over 2G/3G" option set to OFF

Still syncing playlists while in 3G network with "Download over 2G/3G" option set to OFF

Spotify version 0.5.1.15.g81977995

Samsung Galaxy SII with Andriod 4.0.3

Just did some changes to my credit card details to get premium once again (lost when changing card). When I logged on to Spotify with my Galaxy SII the app recognized that I hade premium...and started downloading the three playlists that was marked for download...but did this while I were connected to my 3G-network.

The thing is that I have the "Download over 2G/3G" option set to OFF, and that should prevent it from downloading them?? I normally only sync/download over WiFi due to costs.

Is this a bug? If I hadnt cought this it might been really expensive experience since I dont have flat-rate 3G and it was 200 tracks that it wanted to download in Extreme Quality.

Thanks!

8 Replies

Hey all,

I got the same thing - I made sure that 3g option was turned off and started syncing my playlist - unfortunately, being a new phone, I didn't have my home network set up on it - I hadn't remembered to.

I wake up the next morning to see a warning on my phone that I'd hit my 2gb limit.

Then I checked my provider and my phones default was incorrect and I have a 1gb limit.

So that's cost me about $100 extra, and on the first few days of my data plan I have had to turn it off.

I would have thought that if the 3g syncing was disabled it wouldn't use 3g to sync in any circumstances - I'd like to know it won't happen again.

Thanks

Hi there

Could you read and post your details in here http://community.spotify.com/t5/Mobile-Android/Android-app-using-too-much-data-Post-details-here/td-...

The more information they have the more likely it is to be fixed
----------------
Listening on Windows, Android and Sonos. Tweeting it at @davelicence

Wow, this is a massive bug. Mine clocked up 660mbs in an hour or so. That can cost $1/mb in some cases. 

I just re-activated my old Spotify premium account, Spotify automatically started syncing over my phone network despite 'Download over 2G/3G' being disabled. Bug might be related to that. Also, it was downloading over 'H+', don't know if that is considered '2G/3G' in your setting. I'd hope so.

Very disappointed, Spotify, especially after coming back.

I would write to spotify expecting all data downloaded to be paid back in free premium. 660 dollars that would give you 5.5 years free premium, hehe.

EXACTLY, the same problem. I would like to be compensated in some way Spotify. And fixing this problem might be a wise thing to do too in my opinion. Or at least remove the "Download with 2G/3G option" when it does not work properly. If you need aditional data, or download logs please feel free to contact me

Can you follow this troubleshooting guide as a first step. Thanks.

I have the same problem for about 2 months now on a Samsung S3, with android 4.1.2. I did go through my dataplan in an hour or so. It did cost me roughly €100,- and there's hardly a way to prevent it from happening in the future. Thanks a lot Spotify. An unhappy costumer.

Hi. Can you post some details in this bug topic. It will help if you can post some figures for spotify data usage in foreground/background, if these are available in the settings menu.

Suggested posts