Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Stop automatic car play

Stop automatic car play

I am having an issue with Spotify automatically playing when it connects to my car sound system via Bluetooth. I do not want it to auto play. 

Even if I pause the current song manually and close Spotify completely it will still resume playing automatically when it connects to the car stereo. 

Even worse is when I go to my job listening to a podcast in my car. When I arrive I stop the episode on my phone and resume in my PC. After I finish the episode during the day, when I go home and start the app in my phone connected to car via Bluetooth Spotify will resume the previous finished episode in the same second I stopped in the morning ignoring the episode I stopped via PC minutes before. 

Itried turning off the auto play feature in settings and I disabled car play in my phone settings. There is no setting on my car stereo to disable auto play. 

60 Replies

Hey @Evilmaax, help's arrived.

It sounds like what you're experiencing is related to this ongoing issue. Make sure to add your +vote and comment in order to get updates. The right teams are working on it. 

All the best!

Yes I'm having the same problem and it makes me so mad I'm going to uninstall Spotify. 

My Note 8 just started to do the same in my Honda.  I verified that the car autoplay is off.  What else can I do?

Having the same problem plus it keeps playing after disconnecting from the car. I keep my phone speaker volume off so I didn't notice for a little while.

I have this issue too. It is a big safety problem. I don't want to be messing with my phone while driving. I start the car, Spotify starts playing automatically, I go into the app and pause the track. I start Google Maps for my journey, start driving and at some point, maybe 10 minutes or so, Spotify unpauses the track. So I pull over, switch to Spotify, pause it again, go back to Maps, and the issue will happen again. On a recent trip the only thing I could do was set my car's speaker volume to 0, but that meant I missed Google Maps notifications. So annoying. I have auto play turned off too.

Hey @some_nonsense,

That's odd!

Have you tried reinstalling the app? You can read here how.

If it doesn't work, could you let us know what happens if you beforehand stop Spotify from the app switcher?

Let us know how it goes. Have a nice day!

Same issue with me. Samsung note 9 and Mitsubishi outlander, all up to date and working with everything else. Tried all the suggestions I can find.  Uninstall and reinstall constantly. Absolute pain in the *@se! 

Spotify you take my money happily enough but wont be getting it for much longer.

This problem haa been happening for several years (!) without a solution from Spotify. wth?!

Same issue here since day 1 of using spotify and carplay.
Multiple iPhones, Multiple iOS versions. 
Eventually it stopped but recently started up again.
Very annoying.

SAME PROBLEM.  CONSTANTLY INSTALLING AND UNINSTALLING.  FIX THIS SPOTIFY AND CREDIT MY ACCOUNT FOR THE CRAPPY SERVICE.

Same issue here. Connected to my new van via bluetooth. Spotify starts everytime I key the ignition. Very annoying for a multi drop delivery driver turning the engine on 100 times a day. Very annoying. 

This problem is so annoying.  I'll be listening to a podcast on my computer or ear buds, separate from my car. Then I'll get in my car, with the stereo on the radio, not Bluetooth.  I'll then want to finish listening to my podcast later and its already over and I can't find where I left off. It auto plays even if I don't switch over to Bluetooth in my car. In short, it  auto plays spotify on my car's Bluetooth when I'm not even using it, so I miss entire podcasts. 

I'm having the same problem. I've spent hours trying to figure this out with no luck. I've tried everything suggested and probably went through every setting menu on my Galaxy S7.  I think I'm giving up and just moving on to another service.

Let's talk about alternatives. Any experience with Pandora, Deezer, Google Music, Etc?

I have the same issue and is annoying as **bleep**!!!!!!!!! GPM has a disable feature why not Spotify? evenmore since this issue is for years already

Could this be a setting in Android Auto? There is a setting, "Automatically resume media when you start driving". I think that starts the last media player you were using.
There is also a setting called AutoLaunch, that starts "Android Auto" when you connect to the Bluetooth device selected.

I do not use at all android auto so I do not see how this can be related.

I understand that. The only time I use Spotify on my phone is when I get in my car. I turned the auto-launch function off, as I wanted it to wait until I plugged in the USB cable that connects it to my car's media center.
But when I connect the USB cable, I get Android Auto connected shown on my phone, and my car will switch from the radio playing to Spotify playing, and it continues the same song that was playing when I got out of the car. That all happens before I tap Android Auto on the car's media center.
That sounded like what the OP was having So I did a quick reply to them. I am sorry if it does not fix your problem.

No worries, we are talking about the bluetooth connection here, music automatically starting when the phone connects to the car via bluetooth, Spotify knows but they don't care.

This post is over a year old and not fixed? I have turned off all settings to Auto play spotify when connected to my cars Bluetooth, but, spotify continues to play every time it connects. This is highly annoying. Especially considering I cant turn the damn app off easily! I have to pause the music to listen to something else.

Suggested posts