Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Suggested songs

Solved!

Suggested songs

Hello

Im using spotify on my android phone and would like to know if there is any way of disabling these annoying suggested songs. I actually want the ability to choose the music I listen to and that is not possible when it keeps suggesting music i dont want to listen to. The problem is that it suggest 5-7 songs in a row and I always run out of skips before. So Spotify is dictating what i should listen to.

This morning I put on one song I wanted to listen to, but after ½ an hour I still hadnt had to oppotunity to listen to the song and was so close to uninstalling Spotify.

283 Replies

So far, there's nothing we can do except use Yotube or something else instead. It sucks.

Trying to study for my exams and suggested songs appear...they are completly out of context when all my songs in the playlist are instrumentals and carly rae jepson appears out of nowhere.

Can we just get an update where we can opt out if it in the settings? Its trash that, like earlier mentioned, Spotify dictactes what we listen to. I'd rather delete Spotify than have to keep dealing with it, and I'm broke as **bleep** so I'm not buying Premium 😅😅

I see a lot of people talking about stopping and restarting. Thats not enough. For android, you need to go into settings > application manager > Spotify > Storage and click "Clear Cache". That will dump the stored useage data for the app - i.e. how many songs its played since last suggested songs etc.

DONT CLICK CLEAR DATA!

That will dump your username and password and other stuff that the app needs to run

This only seems to happen when I use bluetooth. It's pretty annoying to try to play Christmas songs for my 3 year old son and a never ending cycle of rap songs plays.

This is on the free version though right?

Yes. We know it's a free service so we shouldn't complain. We know it doesn't happen with premium. It's not doing what Spotify says it will do. If a playlist has more than 12 songs, suggested songs shouldn't play, but what's happening is no songs in the playlist play and only suggested songs play. I also wouldn't mind it so much if the suggested songs had anything to do with the songs in the playlist, like in Pandora, but these songs are completely out of context and sometimes inappropriate, given the audience.

Hey, I'd just like to suggest a song: My mind, by Hugh Mundell. There're just a few musics from this artist in Spotify.  Thanks. 

This is stupid. I can see 1 or 2 suggested songs but 7 songs?? I do not want to listen to a **bleep** load of **bleep**ty Bruce Springsteen in the middle of a Christmas playlist.

My Playlist has a total of 20 different songs and it still plays suggested music and its driving me insane. If I wanted to listen to that I would choose it, but I really really really don't that's why I have Spotify not Pandora. I don't know why, but I'm going to remove the app soon if it doesn't stop.

Casucci, i totally understand where you're coming from. However in order to understand why spotifyis so restrictive, you must understand this one fact: spotify is a FREE app that lets you listen to music that you would otherwise have to purchase. If they didnt restrict free members, then it would just be illegal piracy of copy written music. In order to solve this problem, they offer a restrictionless way of listening. Spotify Premium is just an indirect way of purchasing music. There is an obvious upside though. As far as i know, there is no limit to the number of songs you buy, so if you download enough songs each month, then you will be saving money because the cost of a subscription is less than the combined cost of all the songs that you download.

You have a point BUt this "feature" has only started happening within the last few months.  THe original FAQ for playlists stated that if you had a playlist with less than 12 songs or full of the same artist spotify would suggest music.  Now you have people who have playlists with 40+ song on it, all seperate artists getting 4 or 5 suggested songs that have nothing to do with their playists being played.  Why have a playlist feature I can't listen to the songs that are in my playlist?

Phntmarbiter176, I would like to bring up a queery to test your statememt: how come the Windows PC version of Spotify Free currently doesn't have forced-play Suggested Songs? *said in a passive tone*

This really doesn't match up; the fact that versions of Spotify Free for different devices have different ways of producing Suggested Songs. The Android version is always playing automatically through these Suggested Songs (which is really annoying to clearly more than just me) but the Windows version lets you see the Suggested Songs below the playlist, so you can play songs you want to perhapse listen to to see if you like them. This is a great alternative instead of forcing the songs into our music-listening time.

I still don't understand why Spotify would do this with different versions. Is it to cater for different ratios of customers using Spotify Free on different decices? It leaves me clueless when I ask myself. Perhapse we'll never really know...

So it's only happening on mobile devices. This is because to have it
removed, along with ads, they charge $10 a month. Spotify has a high use
rate on mobile devices. That's why.

Nope. I have an old version of Spotify on an old phone no ads no suggestions.
The problem is, they are really aggressive with the suggestions and they stink, i mean really bad in most cases. You thumb them down and they keep playing. You go to another play list and then come back and the suggestion continues to play. I listen to Spotify for less then 15min before I get frustrated and just start listening to music off youtube. I heart radio is doing the same thing...which suggests it is the record companies insisting on this...

Why do we need "variety"? I have a playlist with one artist because i want to listen to that artist. If i want to listen to only NateWantsToBattle i should be able to, and only the songs i choose.

How hard would it be for that dumb "Suggested Song" deal to be disabled completely? Whoever came up with that has found a way to tick off a lot of people. Back to iTunes for me!

Here here! It's so much easier just to buy individual songs that you can keep forever than to have to listen to songs you don't even want OR pay for overpriced services just to hear your music without interruption.

On my playlist i have 15hrs worth of music and hundreds of songs, yet i still get really annoying suggested songs 😞

Just to say I find this also incredibly annoying. It's not just with playlists for me, though: it happens when I listen to a full album by one artist, too. After a few songs, Spotify starts playing 'suggested tracks' and doesn't really seem to ever stop doing that, sometimes never going back to the original album!

It's a pity as I loved Spotify, but now I am really going off it- and no, it doesn't make me want to pay for it, it makes me want to find a better alternative.

Suggested posts