Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Turn off Spotify Connect

Solved!

Turn off Spotify Connect

How do I disable Spotify Connect?  

If I've got my tablet (iPad) running the app, I definitely don't want my phone running it and draining the battery with the app running there as well.

Thanks

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edit by @Daniel 

I've just added a guide on ways of disabling Spotify Connect. Hopefully there will be a way of enabling/disabling the service at will in the future.

How to disable Spotify Connect

MODERATOR EDIT:

Hey everyone, Spotify staff here. Recently we updated the Community Idea "Make Spotify Connect a choice" with the status "Not Right Now".

If you've installed our latest Spotify app for Android (1.8.0) and you're still having trouble with battery drain please let us know right here. 

We'd also like to mention these other Connect ideas which are a bit more specific to the Connectrequests you've made in this thread. Please leave your kudos and feedback in those as well if they apply to the reasons you'd like to turn off Spotify Connect.

If you don't see the idea you'd like to see, please feel free to make a new idea and post a link in this thread. We're keeping a close eye on your feedback and we're actively bringing it back to the right teams. 
437 Replies

I'm surprised how bad the Spotify support is. Seems they just ignore all the feedback about this topic. Guess we'll just have to get another service. My problem is it's part of my mobile subscription. 😞

I just cancelled Spotify Premium, used the Stamp service for $15 to port over all of my pre-built playlists to Apple Music. We couldn't take it any longer, with a family of 4, we simply needed more than 1 device being able to use the service simultaneously. Not sure how i feel about being more embedded with Apple.

Spotify offers a family plan just for this reason

Six people including you for $15/month

https://www.spotify.com/us/family/

What a terrible "feature".

It also allows control of two devices that have no relationship.

This is a HUGE SECURITY HOLE.

Spotify developers should be ashamed.

The apps should, at least, ask before allowing one device to access/control another.

This is so bad, I'm dumbfounded.

I listen to Spotify with my Bose QC35's. I regularly switch between listening on my computer and on my phone. The QC35's allow 2 devices to be paired to them at once through Bluetooth. Usually, they would automatically switch between the 2 devices based on which device is streaming audio at the time. However, due to Spotify Connect, the headphones are unable to distinguish which device is streaming the audio. This greatly increases the difficulty of switching between devices and renders the automatic switching feature of the QC35's useless. Please update the apps with the ability to simply choose whether the Spotify Connect feature is on.

Just bought new phone old one is loged in andvi dont have it can you pease disable it

Nothing to do with what we want.

We want to be able to listen to Spotify on one device and other devices to remain passive and do nothing as we are not using Spotify on them.

The only thing I'd like my other devices to immediately update is playlist changes. And any modified or added playlist should immediately go to the head of the "most recent" playlist, because modifying or creating a playlist makes it your most recent one even if you haven't listened to it yet.

And my android should be able to "resume" whichever downloaded playlist I was listening to after a gap of 45 minutes or so, internet connection or not. Not head straight to the "Home" page with a big whine about not being connected to the internet and having no clue what I was listening to.
That used to happen before this "connect" nonsense.

Could not agree more. Spotify regularly autostarts and autoplays on my phone, even over the top of other audio apps.

This is a bug, not a feature!

Another vote for this 'feature' to be controllable by the user. Spotify needs to set up a page under our accounts (read: device agnostic) - where we can see which devices are being used, and choose whether they're allowed to be part of 'my' Spotify Connect, or to remove them completely (old devices).

This is a common [security] practice these days, and one I hope you can embrace.

- - -
"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
- Jorge Luis Borges

I did just "control" this feature by turning Spotify on my Android onto "offline" mode whilst I create my CurrentWeekly playlist. It won't pick up the changes automatically anyway (it should). So it may as well be offline whilst I'm building that list.

Of course I have to refresh my entire cache tonight after it hit a "stuck" track.

U are the united airlines pepsi cola of audio players with this **bleep**ty feature implementation

Well, here's another victim of this feature. Randomly, when I'm listening on my desktop, Spotify switches to my phone - without cause or reason. I've encountered this issue for a few weeks now, and at least on rooted Android phones, there seems to be a solution. I'm just trying this out, so try it out with at least some caution.

As the solution at the beginning of this thread proposes, I've installed Disable Service from the Play Store. However, AppLinkService is no longer active and seems to be disappeared from the app.

What is present in the app is RadioActionsService. By disabling this on my phone, my desktop client no longer sees my phone as available to play on. I hope this information is useful for a few users encountering the same issue of randomly playing on another device.

Bump

So this was posted in 2014 and it is May 2017 and I can't easily turn off Spotify on my Andriod phone if I am playing Spotify on my desktop. **bleep**, are you kidding me! This is draining my phone battery for a feature I will never use. I want Spotify on my desktop at work for 8 hours straight and NOT running on my phone all day long. That can't possibly be a crazy request. I was forced to switch to the app on desktop from the web version since Spotify stripped down the web version to next to nothing. Now I am forced to use this awful sync feature. PLEASE provide a solution. I was so happy with the web version of Spotify and HATE having to use the desktop app, and now it is draining my phone battery.

I got an email telling me there was a solution for this, but I come here and a post from 2014 was marked as the solution. Sofa king dumb that this still isn't an option to turn off. I guess they still don't want my money.

Isn't it amazing? This is a majorly requested feature for 3 years now and still no fix. It really shows how poor the design is... and the only people affected by it are people actually paying money. Spotify is just lucky they don't have many direct competitors...

Lack of competition has a lot to do with it - why improve when there aren't others out there ready to take your customers?

Even worse, companies like T-Mobile are further enabling this lack of competition model, if you use T-Mobile the streaming data used by Spotify is not used towards your data plan.

Sounds great right? Not if you're a developer attempting to disrupt the current systems, aka making a better and more affordable product.

Then why would someone use your product and pay extra, when they can just use Spotify because they have a deal with T-Mobile.  This spits in the face of Net Neutrality, which is funny because things like this didn't start to happen until AFTER the Net """Neutrality""" bill was passed in 2010. Sounds kind of like the opposite of what Neutrality means, no?

Sorry to get all political at the end. But people have a right to be angry that they pay this company hundreds of dollars year after year, yet have the same problems remain unresolved and unaddressed for the whole time.

BTW, I still can't change my Spotify profile picture. I made a post about that in 2013.

Google and Apple jumped on the bandwagon of charging us in sterling what they charge the Americans in dollars. I know it's only 1.29 conversion rate now but still it is a rip-off that we pay more than the Americans for the same thing.

Had one of them charged us the same as they charge them I would have considered switching. As long as all the playlist and search features still exist. I doubt it though with google, they don't understand metadata, it's just bungle everything together and search and return as many results as you can rather than the most accurate ones.

Youtube shows me what google is like for searching.

Way to stay on topic.

not right now?! REALLY?! so y'all think you know what your customers want better than they do!? spotify connect is intrusive functionality that degrades the experience of using the app.

Suggested posts