Premium

Country

US

Device

Samsung Galaxy S10+

Operating System

Android version 9

My Question or Issue

I purchased a new 2019 Chevy Colorado over the weekend and when I tried to connect my phone to stream Spotify the sound quality was terrible, hollow and flat sounding.  I'm hoping someone can help me figure this out.  Here is what I tried so far:

1. I compared the bluetooth vs usb cable connection and there was no difference in quality
  2. Bluetooth connection to bluetooth headphones sounds good, as expected, not at all like the connection in the car.
  3. I did a side-by-side comparison of a youtube video for a song and then switch over to spotify for the same song and youtube sounded significantly better than spotify.  (I did this with multiple songs of different types.)
  4. When comparing the SeriusXM or regular FM sound quality, SeriusXM was by far the best, then regular FM, then youtube, and last by a lot was spotify.
  5. I tried the "clear cache, uninstall the app, and reinstall" trick but it made no difference at all.
  6. I turned on the "highest quality" setting (was on "automatic") but it made no noticable difference.
  7. I installed the app directly in the car's head unit but it made no difference at all.  It seemed to still be playing through my phone.
  8. I noticed that spotify was noticably quieter so I tried to increase the volume on my phone but the volumn bar would just blink and not actually change the volume.

Any assistance is appreciated!

7 Replies

Hello @Nurdyguy,

Thanks for getting in touch!

Have you tried checking the equaliser? Perhaps it's set in a way that make the sound in your car sound not so good. You can also try toggling the 'enable volume normalization'

Hope it helps! Let us know how it goes.

Have a nice day.

I am having the exact same problem with the bluetooth connection in my KIA. I have tried the same things as OP and I have reset the car sound settings to the default. 

I have tested between SiriusXM and Spotify. Spotify is MUCH quieter. I keep the volume at 15ish for the radio but need to double it for Spotify. My Google Play app does not have this problem. I'm disappointed because I pay for Premium but the sound quality is muffled and quiet. 

Edit: I also have a Samsung Galaxy. I have an S9

Issue described technically... only the mids are coming out of the speaker. I used to think it was my vehicle but I have tried it in multiple vehicles now when I rent them. However, I did notice that every vehicle I use has Apple Play installed. This could be the issue? (Spotify not being correctly compatible with a new Apple update or something.) Usually I can go to the Bluetooth connection listed at the bottom of the app in green font, switch connection from my Apple play device to my phone speakers, and then switch it back to my Apply Play device (car). Although it’s super annoying and inconvenient... doing this once or twice might do the trick to solve your issue as it does for me. 

They will figure it out as soon as enough people complain about it hopefully.🤠

Hey folks,

Thanks for reaching out to us 🙂

@GalaxyWalker Could you share with us if you also experience bad sounds quality? We'll look into this further.

@TheOriginalZee It's a good idea to try the steps mentioned in the original post. In case the issue persists, could you share with us the device + OS version? We'll investigate this further.

Keep us in the loop! We'll be right here if you have any questions.

Ver Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Sorry, I forgot to mention my device is an updated iOS. Although it has been happening for the last few months through different Apple updates.

And yeah, I’ve already attempted the equalizer steps from the OP. I’ve ran through about as much trouble shooting tactics as I can.

Thanks for looking into it.

Brendon

Hey @TheOriginalZee,

Thanks for getting back to us 🙂

In case you've tried the steps @Nurdyguy mentioned, it's also a good idea to give these steps a go and run a clean reinstall. This one is more thorough than the usual one.

Could you try with another phone to check if the issue persists? That way we can check if it's a device-related issue.

Let us know how it goes. If you have questions, you know where to find us.

Ver Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

The volume normalization seems to cause so many issues overall, it should be disabled by default in my opinion. 

Suggested posts