Premium

Country

Brazil 

Device

Samsung Galaxy S8+

Operating System

Android Oreo

My Question or Issue

This is weird (I think): Android Auto voice commands work with waze and google maps just fine, and voice commands work well with Spotify when I'm using just my phone with google assistant. But when I try to use voice commands with Spotify through Android Auto, I get a "I can't help you with that" type of message.

Is this a known issue? Am I doing something wrong? I'd appreciate any help on the subject.

Thanks!

26 Replies

Hey @sauloraoux, welcome to the Community!

Does this happen with every voice command you try, even the simplest ones like "Play (artist)"? 

If you have any pending updates for Spotify or for your Android Auto firmware, try installing them to see if it helps.

Let us know how it goes.

I have the same excact problem. I have the latest androud auto and spotify.

Running it on a OnePlus 5T.. It suddenly just happend.

Tried re-installing both Spotify and Android Auto, neither did work.

I have the same problem as well. 

Is there a server problem? It only affects 

AndroidAuto-Spotify commands so far. 

Been using Spotify and Android Auto voice commands for quite some time. 

It's now my first time experiencing this issue. 

"I can't display search results in the car"

"I don't know how to help you with that"

Hey! thanks for your reply and link to Reddit. 

I'm based in Singapore so Reddit is an uncommon forum for me here. 

Hopefully once the guys at Spotify sees this they could rectify ASAP. 

So I assume it's a confirmed bug on Spotify side then. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the lastesf version of Spotify and Android Auto and it still doesn't work. 

Can other users also raise hype of this problem too?

Cheers!

I've been having the same issue for the past few days. No voice command via Google Assistant during Android Auto will be understood in regards to Spotify.

Hi 

Same problem here. I have a Samsung Galaxy S7 with android 8.0 and the latest versions of spotify and android auto and since saturday I can't use spotify with voice commands. I get a 'I can't help you with that' message too. 

I've reinstalled the apps but it doesn't work. 

If I don't use android auto the google assistant recognizes voice commands correctly and opens spotify, plays songs...

Same problem for me guys, speech commands working well for everything except for searching for music. Untill one one week ago it was working normally, I just do not understand. In the Android Auto settings, Spotify is connected, so I don't know what could be the problem.

How come Spotfy haven't acknowledge the issue yet, or somehow replied to us?

When it all comes down to the core issue, it is all about safety.. We are now forced to touch our screens in our Cars insted of using voice commands.

Having the same problem for the past 2 days .was working fine at until Friday the 24th, then nothing. I keep getting "sorry, I can't display search results while driving", and one time "sorry, I can't help you with that". What's going on Spotify? Is it your end or Google side problem?

Exact same issue here.  Started a few days ago when I first noticed it.  

Started having the exact same issue a few days ago on my Google Pixel XL (android 8.1.0), i cannot get any spotify voice commands to work at all, either getting a reply of "cant show search results" or "can't help with that yet". I hope this gets resolved soon as i use it every day.

Just wanted to add that when I say "ok Google", "play (any some I happen to have on Google play music (streaming not available where I am)" it defaults directly to Google play music. This is weird since the default music app is set to Spotify. Seriously what the **bleep**?!

I'm having the exact same problem. Only noticed it this morning. All other voice commands working perfectly until I ask to play something from Spotify. 

Even with the today's spotify update the problem is still there 😞

Same problem here.

Updates have not solved the problem.

Experts...where are you???.

With the solution!!!!!

I'm so glad this isn't just me, this has been driving me around the bend (shameless pun).

Spotify - you're putting drivers in danger as people will resort to unlocking their phones and using Google assistant in order to play their music, for what should be an entirely hands free experience. You need to pay attention to this. GET IT FIXED!

Exactly the same for me

Spotify does launch, but track/album/playlist did not come over 

HTC U11 Android 8.0.0 / 2.33.401.10

Spotify 8.4.67.886 armV7

Google Assistant also originally did not successfully launch requested album/track either, but after clearing cache and data of HTC EasyAccessService (system) app, this was fixed.

Seeing lots of issues with Spotify on Android Auto since the last 3 or 4 releases, principally due to car "head display unit"  track info not being updated with track playing. This started happening at the same time as the track progress bar on the car "head display unit" also disappeared for good. Must be spotify, as other media played on car audio does display track progress

Mine is the same works off android Auto... As soon as I plug it in Spotify won't play through Google voice command. I've tried everything and it's annoying the life out of me that I can't get it to work 

Suggested posts