Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Why does Spotify say that there is no Internet connection available when there is one (Samsung S4)

Solved!

Why does Spotify say that there is no Internet connection available when there is one (Samsung S4)

I have a Galaxy S4 with the latest updates and most recent Spotify, premium account. I can stream all day on wi-fi, but as soon as I am back on the mobile network things go south. One song plays then Spotify stops. If I try to pick another song (in any playlist I have) it says "Track not available" or "No internet connection" or "You are offline"

I have reinstalled Spotify many times, cleared the cache partition on the phone (the boot up method, not just in settings) but nothing seems to fix this. I contacted T-mobile and they are blaming Spotify so I have no idea what to do. I have no issues at all when on Wi-fi

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

I have opened this as a bug here:
http://community.spotify.com/t5/Spotify-Bugs/Android-T-Mobile-No-Internet-Connection/idi-p/973865

If anyone else is having this issue if you could please post your device details over on the topic linked to above that would be most appreciated.

For now I am going to lock this topic, once again thank you for the reports guys!

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

View solution in original post

20 Replies

Hey @EncryptedToast 

Thanks for reaching out to us on the Spotify community!

Just to check, which version of Spotify and Os exactly are you running? Also in the preferences of the app, have you got the 'Offline mode' toggled on?

Another thing to check is,whereabouts is Spotify currently installed - the device or an SD card?

Any further information you can provide would be awesome, we'd love to get you partying to your tunes again.

Thanks,

OS = Android 4.3 Basband version M919UVUEMK2

Spotify = Version 1.4.0.631

Its not installed on the SD card.

I am certain the offline mode is not toggled - streaming is normal, Download is normal, sync over celluar is Off

Is there anything else that would help?  This is most definitly only an issue when not on Wi-fi; there are no problems at all when I use Wi-fi. As  soon as I get out of range and back on the mobile network is when the trouble starts.

I am having the exact same issue.

Spotify for Android
Version 1.4.0.361
Samsung Galaxy Note 3
AT&T

I assume you've tried rebooting your device and general browsing works OK over your mobile internet? It doesn't strike me as a Spotify thing as browsing seems to work over WiFi OK.

Can you check your API settings and possibly check with your network operator to get the network settings (Internet API) resent to your phone?

Another useful check to see if it's Spotify or Network Operator is to try a different sim card in your device.

Please use the search feature before posting a problem/bug/idea.
What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
     Using Spotify Since March 10th 2009
     Twitter: @mechanimal82

Android Troubleshooting:
[COMPLETE GUIDE] How to fix most Android issues
Spotify Android Version History

@Daniel wrote:

I assume you've tried rebooting your device and general browsing works OK over your mobile internet? It doesn't strike me as a Spotify thing as browsing seems to work over WiFi OK.

Can you check your API settings and possibly check with your network operator to get the network settings (Internet API) resent to your phone?

Another useful check to see if it's Spotify or Network Operator is to try a different sim card in your device.

Oh believe me, this thing has been rebooted about 600 times.  Yes, general browsing works fine - all other applications are online as expected.  Its only Spotify that claims to be offline.  Unless I am on Wi-fi....then Spotify is happy as a clam.

I am not sure what you mean by API settings and check with my network operator?  Can you elaborate on those two, please?

As far as sim cards go, I am afraid I do not have a spare.

I meant AP (Access Point) settings.... My fault for adding the I, I meant just AP 🙂 Sorry for the confusion.

If you go to settings, mobile data and then look at the access point names can you tell me what you have... and which one has a radio button checked next to it?

I have a feeling you may have an AP setup using IPv6 which isn't supported and may be blocking your access. Check if one has this IPv6 after the name of the ap, if so try selecting one without and then trying.

Android Troubleshooting:

@Daniel wrote:

I meant AP (Access Point) settings.... My fault for adding the I, I meant just AP 🙂 Sorry for the confusion.

If you go to settings, mobile data and then look at the access point names can you tell me what you have... and which one has a radio button checked next to it?

I have a feeling you may have an AP setup using IPv6 which isn't supported and may be blocking your access. Check if one has this IPv6 after the name of the ap, if so try selecting one without and then trying.

I see Settinings > More Networks > Mobile Networks  > Access Point Names

Is that what you mean?  There is one entry there:

T-mobile US LTE

fast.t-mobile.com

For me this happened about two updates ago. Used to never be an issue. On wifi, songs steam fine. When I'm in the car, for example, when I put on a song and then turn the screen off, the song is playing fine, until the next song is supposed to come on. Silence. When I open the app the song list is grayed out and no Internet connection message in the app is shown. All this time LTE is active with full bars. I do not have any apps such as Juice Defender running.

@EncryptedToast wrote:

@Daniel wrote:

T-mobile US LTE

fast.t-mobile.com

Which one is selected? If you tap it to edit it and then tap on the APN Protocol is it showing IPv6 or v4? 

Another way of checking is to open a browser on your phone and go to ip6.me which will tell you which protocol you are using.

If it's set to iv6, please change to v4 and try connecting to spotify again.

Android Troubleshooting:

@Daniel wrote:

@EncryptedToast wrote:

@Daniel wrote:

T-mobile US LTE

fast.t-mobile.com

Which one is selected? If you tap it to edit it and then tap on the APN Protocol is it showing IPv6 or v4? 

Another way of checking is to open a browser on your phone and go to ip6.me which will tell you which protocol you are using.

If it's set to iv6, please change to v4 and try connecting to spotify again.

Huh, this is wierd.  

I checked the setting and it says APN Protocol - IPv4

When I go to ip6.me it tells me

You are connecting with an IPv6 Address of:

(lots of numbers and :'s )

Does that mean I am using IPv6 even tho the only AP listed says its IPv4?

I forgot to add - there is only one entry although I may have made it look like two.  The singe entry is two lines:

---------------------------

T-mobile US LTE

fast.t-mobile.com

---------------------------

Thats it, just one entry.  

Ok. Can you try changing the protocol to v6 and backing it to save. Go to the ip6.me site and verify you are on v6. Now go back and change to the v4 protocol and then go to ip6.me again.

Let me know if it gets you back to v4

Android Troubleshooting:

@Daniel wrote:
Ok. Can you try changing the protocol to v6 and backing it to save. Go to the ip6.me site and verify you are on v6. Now go back and change to the v4 protocol and then go to ip6.me again.

Let me know if it gets you back to v4

I dont see that as an option, it's greyed out.

Is t-mobile ipv6 only?  Some searching turned up some interesting things about them going to Ipv6.

What about creating a new access point with all the same details but as it's new you will be able to select the protocol?

I'm afraid I don't know much about the US T-Mobile IPv6 stuff add I'm across the pond. But I do know it had caused some headaches

Android Troubleshooting:

@mapiotr wrote:
For me this happened about two updates ago. Used to never be an issue. On wifi, songs steam fine. When I'm in the car, for example, when I put on a song and then turn the screen off, the song is playing fine, until the next song is supposed to come on. Silence. When I open the app the song list is grayed out and no Internet connection message in the app is shown. All this time LTE is active with full bars. I do not have any apps such as Juice Defender running.

This is the same issue I am having, except it happens on wifi or cellular. I cannot play an online playlist without having to turn on my phone and hitting play for the next song. 

Mine does this same thing.. except it also says no interenet connection when i'm on FULL WIFI!  .. but even on data.. full service.. it will say i'm offline.. i don't get it.. and it makes me want to cancel my subscription. 

Also, no other music app has this problem on my phone. 8tracks and Songza switch songs without any issues when my phone screen is off.

I am also on T-Mobile and have bumped into a similar situation recently (just today, in fact).  I was listening to music in my home via wifi but when I went for a jog, as soon as the current song and I was no longer in wifi range Spotify told me I was not online.

I tried everything - reopen the app, clear caches, etc.  Nothing could fix the message.  All other apps worked fine.

Phone Details:

Samsung Galaxy S5

Android 4.4.2

Baseband: G900TUVU1ANCH

Kernel: 3.4.0-964333 dpi@SWDD5018#1

Build: KOT49H.G900TUVU1ANCH

SE for Android Status: Enforcing SEPF_SM-G900T_4.4.2_0015

Security Version: MDF v1.0 Release 2, VPN v1.4 Release 1

Now from reading through this forum, I see ipv6 seems to be the root of the problem.  Looking at my APN settings for T-mobile, I can see the APN protocol is IPv6.  This doesn't appear to be changeable.

As others have mentioned, other apps work so this must be a Spotify issue.  Finding a way to connect to T-Mobile via IPv4 is a possible workaround but the correct fix must be for Spotify to support IPv6. It's been a long time coming and I'm surprised this is even an issue.

Please escalate this bug as high priority because we may be the first people to experience it but we won't be the last.  

Same issue. I'm guessing it's after an update since a few weeks ago it was working perfectly. I'm also on T-Mobile and have an android phone. The bug seems to be limited to android.

Suggested posts