Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Why does Spotify stream music I already have stored on my phone?

Why does Spotify stream music I already have stored on my phone?

I have a large CD collection that I rip to AAC via iTunes.  I then transfer to SD card for listening on my phone (currently Samsung Note 8).  Prior to using Spotify, I used MS Groove and it would always play music stored on my phone.  Any downloaded music would appear in my music folder along with my ripped CD's.  In spotify however, it can 'see' my music library however it always streams the music rather than playing from the music stored on SD card.  To make sure I can listen to my ripped music wheb offline (for example on a plane) I have toi make sure I've downloaded it via Spotify.  Seems ludicrous to download from Spotify again when I already have it and Spotify can 'see' it in my music library as well!  Is there any solution to this??

1 Reply

Hey @pgmooney.

Thanks for reaching out to us about this - we'll be glad to help you out here.

Unfortunately it's not possible to listen to the tracks on your SD card on Spotify without having first uploaded them to a desktop. In order to do so, you just need to follow the steps outlined in this support article.

Just as an FYI, AAC files are not supported as local files on Spotify - they have to be either .mp3, .m4p or .mp4.

Let us know if you need any help with that - we'll be right here if you need us 🙂

Suggested posts