Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Wrapped 2020 sharing not working

Solved!

Wrapped 2020 sharing not working

Hi,

I can open my own wrapped 2020 story just fine.

However, when I use the share button at the end, none of my friends can open it. It just opens the Spotify app Home tab. When I try to open links of my friends the same happens.

Sharing the generated playlist works fine. It's just the share button at the end of the wrapped 2020 story that isn't working.

My link for testing:

https://open.spotify.com/wrapped/share-d1c5e4c36f9146d89e6ea0bf6d6f011d-1080x1920?si=Q1LIZU82T0C10mc...

Also look at the first reply for a screenshot

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey @megapcjones @Shafaragorn @JR_Williams @Tregeta @Ladydi232 @Chillosophy @AuntieNoNo @arpece 

Sorry for the inconvenience and confusion.

I've been using the end of year Wrapped experience for the past several years and I'd like to show you how the sharing works.

The link that you can copy and send to people won't allow them to see your Wrapped the way you saw it. Instead the link is meant to be shared on Twitter, Facebook, Messenger, iMessage, etc. When that link is shared on one of those platforms, it embeds an image of your Wrapped like shown in the picture below. When someone clicks on the link it will take them to where they can see their own Wrapped experience. I too was confused by this a few years ago. This continues to be a confusing experience and hopefully Spotify can improve this in the future.

IMG_9436.PNG

There is currently no way to share your Wrapped exactly how you saw it, but you can download and save your Wrapped 2020 image to your phone's photo app/camera roll by doing the following: (The steps and images below are from iOS but it should be similar for Android)

1: Tap the share button at the end of your Wrapped story (or on any page with a share button to get the image for that page)

2: Scroll down to the bottom of the share sheet and select "... More"

3: Find the button that says "Save Image" (it might be in a different order than what I have in my image shown)

4: Go to the photos app on your phone and it should be the most recent saved image

5: You can share that image with others via Twitter, Facebook, Messenger, text message, and many other places.

IMG_9434.PNG

IMG_9435.PNG

The saved image should look like this image below. You can swipe left and right and choose from 4 different colors before you press the share button to select what colors you want in your image.

IMG_9318.jpg

And if you press the share button on the other pages of the Wrapped experience you can save those images too. For example this is when I pressed the share button on my top songs page. Every page with a share button has a different image you can download.

IMG_9329.jpg

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

View solution in original post

18 Replies

Screenshot_20201202_185231_com.spotify.music.jpg

I'm talking about this share button to be precise

Same here. I see my wrapped if I'm logged in, or a generic one when logged out.

I've tried different browsers and the link always changes from https://open.spotify.com/wrapped/share to https://open.spotify.com/genre/2020-page

Yes same here, I'd love to share it but all I can do is take screenshots and show people which is BS. I share the link and then my friends have to either login (which it then just shows them THEIR OWN wrapped), or if they're already logged in to their own account it just shows them THEIR OWN wrapped. 

Hey there folks,

Thank you for your posts in the Community. We're sorry to hear about this. We're happy to help.

We suggest that you perform a clean reinstall of the app to make sure there's no old cache files causing this.

Does this occur from one specific device or multiple devices?

Also - it would be great if you can let us know which version of the app you have?

We'll keep an eye out for your replies.

Cheers!

JeremyModerator
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

I already wrote in my post that it didn't work on multiple devices, neither mine nor any of my friends.

A reinstall did nothing.

Version: 8.5.87.921

I tried on both my Android and my PC. My friend also had the same problem on his Android. I just updated the app a couple days ago to version 8.5.87.921

I too have tried to share my wrapped story to friends via mobile it doesn’t work and vice versa but I am able to post on Instagram my story so not sure what the disconnect is?

We have been trying to share amongst our friend group mostly iPhone users because many of us do not use Instagram. Please fix this issue. 

TLDR: I click link to open friends 2020 wrapped story the link does show their individual new artist discovery but when I click to open link it  - instead it opens the 2020 home page on my Spotify app. Same thing happens when I share my own link 

Hey there folks,

Thank you for your replies in this thread. We're sorry for the confusion.

We checked this from our end and this is expected behavior.

If you have an idea about this feature you can always create an idea on the relevant idea board. We always take new ideas and feedback into consideration to improve the app. 

If you have any questions we're always one reply away.

Cheers!

JeremyModerator
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Trying to explain again: 

1. I pick my Own 2020 in Spotify in my smartphone

2. It gets into the clip

3. In the clip there is a "Share this history" option (I guess is for sharing my own 2020 with others)

4. I share the history using Whatsapp

5. My friend clicks the link I shared and goes into the Spotify app in his smartphone

6. My friend, instead seeing my own 2020 clip, sees his own 2020 clip

Is it clear?

So the expected behavior is a malfunctioning link?

are we not able to “share” amongst our friends? It’s not a novel ideal you guys provided a share button that doesn’t work between mobile users so why have it in the first place if it’s only intended to be shared on a social media platform 

arpece, Yes that is correct.

Jeremy, expected behavior? So when I share my 2020 wrapped to Facebook and my friends click the link they get taken to a GENERIC spotify page, this is normal? Then what's the point of a share button on our Wrapped stories?

So the expected behavior of sharing your “2020 Wrapped” summary is that it really isn’t shareable. That makes total sense.

I'm having the exact same issue. I send the link through the share button at the end of the story, and the other person just gets routed to their own wrapped story and can't see mine. They share their link with me, I try to open it, and it just routes me back to my own story. It kind of defeats the purpose of being able to "share" it at all.

Marked as solution

Hey @megapcjones @Shafaragorn @JR_Williams @Tregeta @Ladydi232 @Chillosophy @AuntieNoNo @arpece 

Sorry for the inconvenience and confusion.

I've been using the end of year Wrapped experience for the past several years and I'd like to show you how the sharing works.

The link that you can copy and send to people won't allow them to see your Wrapped the way you saw it. Instead the link is meant to be shared on Twitter, Facebook, Messenger, iMessage, etc. When that link is shared on one of those platforms, it embeds an image of your Wrapped like shown in the picture below. When someone clicks on the link it will take them to where they can see their own Wrapped experience. I too was confused by this a few years ago. This continues to be a confusing experience and hopefully Spotify can improve this in the future.

IMG_9436.PNG

There is currently no way to share your Wrapped exactly how you saw it, but you can download and save your Wrapped 2020 image to your phone's photo app/camera roll by doing the following: (The steps and images below are from iOS but it should be similar for Android)

1: Tap the share button at the end of your Wrapped story (or on any page with a share button to get the image for that page)

2: Scroll down to the bottom of the share sheet and select "... More"

3: Find the button that says "Save Image" (it might be in a different order than what I have in my image shown)

4: Go to the photos app on your phone and it should be the most recent saved image

5: You can share that image with others via Twitter, Facebook, Messenger, text message, and many other places.

IMG_9434.PNG

IMG_9435.PNG

The saved image should look like this image below. You can swipe left and right and choose from 4 different colors before you press the share button to select what colors you want in your image.

IMG_9318.jpg

And if you press the share button on the other pages of the Wrapped experience you can save those images too. For example this is when I pressed the share button on my top songs page. Every page with a share button has a different image you can download.

IMG_9329.jpg

MattSudaSpotify Star
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Yes but wouldnt a simple screen shot do the same? Spotify should just admit they don’t have a way to share this feature and that it’s solely for social media marketing only not an experience to share with friends and family because not everyone uses social media.

If this is the case then the share button just needs to be removed from the wrapped story. It's entirely misleading.

Suggested posts