getting notified about podcasts I don't follow

Solved!

getting notified about podcasts I don't follow

Plan - Premium Family

Country - USA

Device - Pixel 5

Operating System - Android 12

My Question or Issue

I get push notifications for podcasts that I do not follow. See screen shots, I do not follow Behind the Bastards or It Could Happen Here, but I am getting notified of every new episode.

Screenshot_20220212-074052.png
Screenshot_20220212-074111.png
Screenshot_20220212-074119.png

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey @YourUncleTony,

Thanks for reaching out about this in the Community!

You shouldn't be receiving notifications about podcasts which you don't follow. Just in case, go to Settings > Notifications > Switch everything Off for each category. After that restart your phone and check whether you keep receiving such notifications. If everything is alright for a couple of days, try enabling only the notifications you want to receive again from the same menu.

Note that these might be Sponsored recommendations. Sponsored recommendations let you find new music from artists you love directly in the Spotify app. If you don’t want these, tap Learn more the next time you see one. From there, you can stop them showing for that artist, or stop them showing altogether.

Keep us posted on how you get on.

AlexModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

View solution in original post

14 Replies
Marked as solution

Hey @YourUncleTony,

Thanks for reaching out about this in the Community!

You shouldn't be receiving notifications about podcasts which you don't follow. Just in case, go to Settings > Notifications > Switch everything Off for each category. After that restart your phone and check whether you keep receiving such notifications. If everything is alright for a couple of days, try enabling only the notifications you want to receive again from the same menu.

Note that these might be Sponsored recommendations. Sponsored recommendations let you find new music from artists you love directly in the Spotify app. If you don’t want these, tap Learn more the next time you see one. From there, you can stop them showing for that artist, or stop them showing altogether.

Keep us posted on how you get on.

AlexModerator

Thank you. As shown in my screen shots, when I was looking at the podcast page where you access it through Home or My Library, it showed I was not following. However, when I followed the path you provided into settings, it listed a couple of podcasts including the one above. I turned those off. Very confusing that the settings UI showed something that was different from the podcast page.

Hey @YourUncleTony

Thanks for your reply.

We understand where you're coming from. Just to confirm, has the issue been resolved after switching the notifications off?

We'll be on the lookout.

EniModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

I would want to see if I get a notification when they release a new episode before answering that. I have marked Alex's suggestion as "Accept as Solution" assuming this does it.

Hi there @YourUncleTony

Thanks for getting back to us. 

Take your time to test what you mentioned and if you need a hand with anything else, just let us know. 

Have a good one 🙂

EniModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

There is no such Learn More button. This is the most user-unfriendly homepage on any app. I want to be able to remove podcasts, and if I have a premium account then you should not be showing me sponsored anything 

Hey @nolaurious,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community.

The “Learn more” button is located on the lower part of the screen when a Sponsored Recommendation is displayed. This will show you some additional options.

Additionally, keep in mind that podcasts usually include some advertising on every platform. This has been the case since the early days of podcasts, and continues to be true today, including on Spotify. Therefore, even as a Premium user, you may receive advertising or sponsored messages when playing a podcast. 

However, note that as a Premium subscriber, you still enjoy an ad-free music listening experience.

On the other hand, a similar idea to Hide podcasts has already been suggested here, and it's actually set as “Live Idea” - feel free to add your vote and subscribe to it!  Any changes or updates will be posted in that thread.

Hope this helps. If you have any additional questions, don't hesitate to ask.

OscarDCModerator

your response totally misrepresented my issues with the app, and this forum doesn’t allow me to

post jpg screenshots from my phone so I can’t show you what I’m referring to. This entire customer service system is completely lackluster 

Well, I already did this months ago and yet I'm still receiving those new podcast episode notifications on Android 

Screenshot_20230124-132429_Spotify.png
Screenshot_20230124-132434_Spotify.png
Screenshot_20230124-132409_Settings.png

I recently stopped following some podcasts but I still receive push-up notifications in my phone everytime those podcasts release a new audio. It is very annoying, anyone with the same problem?

This issue/solution is marked as solved, when it really isn't. I can confirm the exact same behaviour as the user on this forum.

- I am not subscribed to any podcasts.

- Under the notifications, "New Podcast Episodes" I see "No shows followed"

- I still receive 2 or 3 new episode notifications per week

I have recently reinstalled Spotify after moving to a new phone, and the un-needed notifications followed me. 

I have ALL push notifications disabled, yet still get notifications for new episodes

Same here on everything above. Very annoying totally unnessecary. Why, just why?

I have th same problem. Unfollowed all podcasts, checked the notification settings, and I still get notifications for new episodes. 

Super annoying. At this point I have disabled Spotify notifications altogether in my system settings as it seems to be the only way to not get these notifications. 

I tried this and, in the process, found that the list of podcasts I follow found under settings differs from the list I get by clicking library then podcasts. So I just unchecked one podcast that was checked in my settings.

Suggested posts