Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

"Connecting to Spotify" notification won't go away. Why?

Solved!

"Connecting to Spotify" notification won't go away. Why?

The past week or so ive started getting a "connecting to Spotify" notification seemingly at random that will absolutely not go away. It appears when I'm not even using the app and it's not even running in the background. All my notifications for everything are set to off, the only way I can clear it is to block app notifications from my android settings which is not practical as this means I can't use the notification tray player widget. I can't express how annoying it is to have this constant notification in my tray, im on the verge of just cancelling Spotify and signing up for Deezer, but I'd really rather not do that if anyone can tell me how to fix this. Many thanks. 

Plan

Premium

Country

Uk 

Device

(Oukitel k8000)

Operating System

(Android)

My Question or Issue

Screenshot_20181123-165226.png

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey @Mistaminer welcome to the Spotify Community 🙂

Can you please try a clean reinstall on your device and give an update if the problem is till there after. I hope it fixes your problem.

Take care ^^

View solution in original post

21 Replies
Marked as solution

Hey @Mistaminer welcome to the Spotify Community 🙂

Can you please try a clean reinstall on your device and give an update if the problem is till there after. I hope it fixes your problem.

Take care ^^

And also, this seems to be a known issue which is under investigation right now. You can read more about it here 🙂

It was just fixed in the latest update. It was driving me insane.

@Mistaminer

You can mark the reply as solution so the other users facing the same problem will benefit from the thread.

Have a nice day and keep rocking 🙂

Seems to have done the trick thanks, I didn't realise there was an update with fix!

*Facepalm* 😊

Just as an FYI, this issue has not been resolved permanently. Many are still experiencing it on the most current release, myself included.

I am still getting the same issue. 

I have cleared cached and storage data and uninstall/re-installed.

The "Connecting to Spotify" notification still comes up after a few hours.

This bug is annoying and it appears to have been an issue for more than year.  wth?

I'm having this issue as well.  Did all the suggestions, deleted cache and data, uninstalled and reinstalled (which is a pain as then you lose all your downloaded songs), redownloaded all my songs only to see the notification flashing there again this morning.

I have the exact same issue and the solution provided did not solve it.  Have cleared cache and done a fresh install, neither worked.

Same here and it also seems to consume a lot of my battery.. I have to charge twice a day now, never had to do that before. Eventho it doesn't look like it's actually connecting.. Or atleast it doesn't use my mobile data - Idk what it is doing and a new install didn't help either.

Hope they fix it soon, gl to all who discover the same issue..

Screenshot_20190115-065819_Settings.jpg

Same here. I'm uninstalling until it's fixed

Update: I switched my bluetooth off and then on again on my phone, and I haven't noticed it doing it anymore.......not sure if I fixed it or it's happening when I'm not looking at my phone....

Thanks for that. I turned my bluetooth on my phone off and it went away.
Turned it back on and it came back. So I turned my Samsung gear off and it
went away. Turned that on it synced it and it came back.

It seems to be related to the syncing of my phone and my watch. I haven't
tried synching with any other device.

This solved it for me. Samsung S8

Screenshot_20190115-164049_Settings.jpg

You got the main issue pinpointed. Spotify installed on Samsung Gear S3 is creating this issue. I do have to say that just happened to me recently as I did an app upgrade. I uninstalled the app on the watch and now the notification is not coming up anymore.

Turning off that notification setting should make the repeated notifications go away but I don't think that will stop the app behavior. I could not find anything causing this on my S9+. I only have Spotify on my phone and my Surface and have never connecte Spotify between them so the "connecting" issue made no sense unless it was trying to connect to Spotify servers. It was driving me nuts and I was pretty close to just uninstalling it as I really don't use it much at all on my phone any more. The post talking about battery usage piqued my interest so I went and looked and it wasn't shown to be using much battery and I didn't see it using much data either but I have it banned from using background data BUT I did notice that in the WIFI data tab, it was set to use as much background WIFI data as it wanted and there was a fair amount. I went ahead and added it to the Always Sleeping Apps list. In fact, I added a whole gang of apps to the list. I'm absolutely sick to death of apps constantly starting and running in the background for unexplained reason, like a word game that I sometimes use (I haven't in 2 weeks) shouldn't be connecting 30 times a day. I realize a lot of apps only do this to see if there's an update but the Play Store does this for us so the only other reasons would be to check for somekind of notification about music we like or download files about how we use our phones and I'm sick of that too. 

Still absolutely no clue what Spotify was trying to connect to or why, but if banning it from running unless I actually start it solves the issue, it'll get to stay on my phone for now. This is twice I almost uninstalled it because it was mysteriously starting. At least this time it wasn't opening up on it's own. That one actually did get me to uninstall it but I wiped the data and reinstalled it and it seemed to behave. I didn't even bother with that this time. I don't think it should be necessary as I have only had this phone for over a month and I installed the app from a fresh state. It was probably an update that caused the issue.

It seems that no moderators or Spotify team members have responded since people started posting on this thread 3 weeks ago so maybe a new thread should be started.

this notification is caused by having a Samsung Watch. (in my case) I installed the Spotify app on the watch, this cased this notifaction being active. since removing the app from the watch i have not seen this notification.

It's not caused by a galaxy watch, I don't have one and I get the notification. I've tried all the "fixes", short of uninstalling it on a watch that I don't have, and nothing different happened on my Note 8.

Doing this got rid of my "connecting to spotify" notification. If you've still got this issue, I suggest trying to turn off external applications. Settings > apps > spotify > notifications then switch off external applications.

Screenshot_20190321-173405_Settings.jpg

Suggested posts