Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

stuck in "waiting to download"

stuck in "waiting to download"

Plan

Premium

Country

US

Android

My Question or Issue

I have a new phone (something off-brand AT&T is forcing on me, long story) running Android with a sandisk 64G card.

I re-installed Spotify and noticed that it was downloading to internal memory so I cleared everything to try to download to the card as it was on my previous phone.

It gets stuck in "waiting to download" (not a single song).  The list has 4 songs

I saw that I had to give Spotify permission to access storage (shouldn't the app CHECK for this?) so that is NOT the issue.

I have re-installed the app, rebooted the phone, ejected/mounted and reformatted the card to no avail.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

4 Replies

Hey there! Sorry for the trouble.

Actually the App checks if you have given the permission or not but in Android at least, if you have ever denied it then it prevents the App from asking for it again like before. So, sometimes we have to go in App info and then give it the permission.Also, make sure to check if you are downloading with Mobile Data then the option 'download using cellular' is turned on. If it does not help then...

I had the same issue and here is what I did:

1. App log out

2. clear data from App info

3. uninstall

4. open your file manager and see if you can see the content inside Android->Data->com.spotify.music

5. since Android 11, we cannot see that stuff so then you have to use this App or format it again (as you have already tried)

6. after you are done with that, SD card is working, install the latest version from the store

7. log in, close the App and open again to choose SD card as storage

8. restart the App, check if SD card is selected and if it is then it should work, download your library!

Throw a like my way or choose this as a solution if I helped!

AmayySpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

It didn't work.

5 is key, I was looking for that (thanks!)

I am not sure what you mean by "SD card is working" in 6. I have no
problem with the SD card and already have other apps there. The storage
setting in Android shows the card as an extension of the memory, as
intended.

I reinstalled Spotify after deleting "com.spotify.music" but I am not sure
how to tell Spotify to use the SD card as storage (as in 7) nor how to
check whether it is doing it correctly (as in 8).

Thanks a lot for your help.

Hi,

So it turns out that com.spotify.music refuses to be deleted so I had to rename it in order to make a clean re-install.

It worked!....for a while.

After I was able to download a couple of playlists (300+ songs) Skype would get stuck again.  I was able to re-start the download several times until I wasn't.  Then I noticed that the storage permission was turned-off again in Android-settings!  I turned it on, re-started, etc.  Now, although I have permission on within the Android settings Skype just shows a grey bar for storage. 

I would suspect a hardware issue at this point except the SD was working on my old phone and works fine with the other apps. Also, the new phone was supplied by AT&T.

Any further thoughts?

Thanks again for the help.

Hi there @GN7,

Thank you for your reply and for the detailed information.

Just to be sure - can you uninstall the app > turn off your phone > take out your SD card > turn on the phone again (without the SD card) > reinstall the app since the card can be corrupted.

Also - can you make sure that there's no pending updates on the device.

We'll keep an eye out for your reply.

Take care!

JeremyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Suggested posts