Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Premium Family on Multiple Devices?

Solved!

Premium Family on Multiple Devices?

Hi, I'm hoping someone can help prevent family tantrums... I have recently upgraded to Premium Family spotify, which states each member can listen to their own music... "Everyone gets to play their own music. No tantrums." according to the marketing blurb. However when we tried to stream music on separate devices it didn't work. It seemed no different to trying to use a personal account on 2 devices...i.e. you can't! Was I naive to think the Family account would actually let each member of the family listen to their own music on their own device? Or was it user error? I'm hoping the latter... Thanks in advance for any help.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

@gc1003

Each family member has to have a separate username and password. So the first step is to create new accounts for each new member (if they haven't already).

I suggest creating it with an email address (not the one used for fb, if possible), since they'll be able to pick a Spotify username / password. Using Facebook will not let you do that, and that sometimes causes problems.

Each member will now have a Free account, so the next step is for them to join your Family plan through your account (You're the one who pays, so you'll be the Family Admin).

Send by yourself the link generated through INVITE MEMBER BY LINK, instead of letting the system send the mail.

Let them accept the invite logged in with their own username, and you'll be set. Each will be able to listen to music at the same time, and will have separate libraries, playlists and friends.

osorniosSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

View solution in original post

12 Replies
Marked as solution

@gc1003

Each family member has to have a separate username and password. So the first step is to create new accounts for each new member (if they haven't already).

I suggest creating it with an email address (not the one used for fb, if possible), since they'll be able to pick a Spotify username / password. Using Facebook will not let you do that, and that sometimes causes problems.

Each member will now have a Free account, so the next step is for them to join your Family plan through your account (You're the one who pays, so you'll be the Family Admin).

Send by yourself the link generated through INVITE MEMBER BY LINK, instead of letting the system send the mail.

Let them accept the invite logged in with their own username, and you'll be set. Each will be able to listen to music at the same time, and will have separate libraries, playlists and friends.

osorniosSpotify Star

Thank you! Got it working now. Seems it was user error after all 🙂

You're welcome. Good to know you're up and running. 🙂

osorniosSpotify Star

Thank you, this solved it. Wish this was told automatically when you upgrade form Premium to Premium Family....

Hi , I have an account Family Premium , and when we listen via streaming with my wife can not do so independently , each listening to his music. How to fix this problem?

Hey @Mario2464-uy,

If both of you use the same login information in their devices, your music will cutoff like it has been happening to you.

Each family member has to have a separate username and password, so the first step is to create a new account for your wife (if she hasn't already).

I suggest creating it with an email address (not the one used for Facebook, if possible), since she'll be able to pick a Spotify username / password. Using Facebook will not let you do that.

She'll now have a Free account, so the next step is for her to join your Family plan through your account (You're the one who pays, so you'll be the Family Admin).

Let her accept the invite logged in with her own username, and you'll be set. Each will be able to listen to music at the same time, and will have separate libraries, playlists and friends.

Hope it helps. 🙂
osorniosSpotify Star

So, I'm having this same problem.  My daughter has a Spotify account. she only has one email address, and it's attached to her Facebook account.  Are you suggesting that she (1) create a new email address (2) deletes her other Spotify account with the FB email associated (3) and start from scratch?  This seems really messy.  I'm ready to screw it and ask for my money back.  

Hey @robertomandolin,

That's not necessary if she already has a Free account. Those directions work when every Family member wants to use the Admin account to listen to music.

Since you have your own account (I imagine you're the Family Admin), and she has hers, send her by yourself the link generated through INVITE MEMBER BY LINK, instead of letting the system send the mail. You'll find that in the Premium for Family section of your Account Settings page.

Let her accept the invite logged in with their own username, and you'll be set. Each of you will be able to listen to music at the same time, and will have separate libraries, playlists and friends.

Account_overview_twitter.png

osorniosSpotify Star

My family likes to download music onto threir own devices and listen to their music offline in remote places, especially on ski hills where there is no reception. How many devices can accept downloaded music when we use premium family plan? Is it the same as premium plan which was 3 devices? 

thanks, 

Etai 

So... If I want to listien to my music in my office and let my kids liten to their stuff in the living room and then something else in another room I have to give Alexa her own email, my computer it's own email, and my other alexa it's own email? Then I have to sync playlits across all users? 

What a pain. You guys can do better than this 😞

i've tried all that. it still does not work on multiple devices like Sonos, google Home mini, iphone samsung etc.  all of the devices are using the same wifi in the same house

Every time any of my family members tries to join from the link, the location has an issue as it says not on the same location. What can I do about that?

Suggested posts