Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

my like button disappeared

my like button disappeared

spotify took away my ability to like songs completely and said they’re testing out a new feature when i contacted support. SPOTIFY PLEASE GIVE IT BACK IT SUCKS!!!!! i’m seriously considering switching to apple music

4 Replies

We are not alone in our dislike, per this reddit thread here

The original Spotify Community thread is here.

I cannot express how much I detest this feature. The extent to which I loathe this change is remarkable. I'm annoyed that all was well with the app this morning, but on my way home from work, it's like it's a different app. At the absolute very minimum, if I'm going to be subjected to a change in the app with no choice to accept or deny it, there should have been a formal notification when I opened Spotify. Whether it's something on the backend or UI experimentation, the forced change is abhorrent for those who were having a positive experience as things were. In fairness, what I'm experiencing now is how the workflow was initially; although I don't understand why Spotify would revert back without offering the ability to accept or deny the proposed changes. 

Why can't users select their user-specific preferred liking method in the settings? Yes, "Liked Songs' is essentially a playlist, but, and as someone on the reddit thread pointed out, I don't understand why Spotify is merging the actions of "Liking A Song" and "Add to a Playlist." Despite this being a subjective opinion, this is a terrible change and my experience with the app since I've noticed this change has been incredibly disappointing. As someone else mentioned on the reddit thread in regard to collecting data and personalization, "As one example, removing the ability to add an entire album to a playlist would inadvertently reduce plays of those songs, and therefore limit the ability of Spotify to factor those plays into user personalization."

The other person on my duo account is experiencing this change and sharing the same frustrations. I already pay for YouTube Premium which comes with YouTube (YT) Music, and since, with YT Music, "Songs you've liked will also appear in the Songs section of your [YT Music] Library," there's no point for us to continue our Duo account given our now-inability to use a cherished feature that we can use somewhere else. From my experience during the switch from Google Play Music (RIP) to YT Music (both of which were prior to creating my Spotify account), YT Music offers way more music (I cannot attest to how podcasts would be affected). 

I really hope Spotify doesn't give their generic "we’re always making changes and testing new features, don’t know anything else, sorry" response to all of the feedback across the Spotify Community. 

I just noticed this about a week ago on my Spotify app too. My partner’s Spotify still has the like button but mine has gone away completely or in most situations 😞 Likewise, I never received any notification of the change and found it frustrating. I prefer the old way of liking songs. 

Spotify if you are reviewing these threads PLEASE DONT GET RID OF THE LIKE FUNCTION. 

Sincerely, 

A loyal Spotify Premium user of 8+ years

Same

My only way to make profit of the „made for you“ playlists is by controlling how many liked songs were included. This enables me to curate those playlists by either skipping/hiding/carefully listen to not yet liked songs. This helps me control how algorithms are fed. Without likes I‘ll have to go back to static own playlists.

Suggested posts