Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Upset

Solved!

Upset

I'm very upset with the new condom adds I'm getting on spotify... I hated the adds in the first place but this and the non stop glitches are the final straw... there are kids on this program... I will be uninstalling spotify as well as telling all my friends about this... don't come back with: " well if you would buy spotify premium you won't have to listen to the adds" because I'm not waisting a single dime on this program.... I'd rather spend a dollar per song on itunes

246 Replies

Apparently no one at Spotify is interested in pulling the rubber ads. Is it in trouble? Frankly, I don't have anyone in the house that would take offense, but I'm 64, listen almost entirely to classical and jazz, and the rubber ads are lost on me. You'd think Spotify would have an ad engine that's a mini version of Facebook or Google, that hits you where your interests are. That said, other listeners have it nailed: apparently the mavens at Spotify have concluded this will drive listeners in droves to paying accounts. Maybe...

There is an Idea thread running as well. We should all go give it Kudos so it will rise to a higher level and maybe be seen. I'm getting frustrated that our concerns are being ignored. 

http://community.spotify.com/t5/Spotify-Ideas/Safer-For-Work-Ads/idi-p/11675

Add me to the list, I have kids and homeschool so often have this on in the background. I cant even mute it when they come on as it just pauses so will have to stop using it. Im not being bullied into paying for something so inconsiderate of its users. Otherwise I would have considered it when Ive tried it out a bit more. 

Seriously - this is pretty awful. I listen to this out by the pool w/ my 11 year old son and his cousins. 

All they need is a parental control button. 

If they need everyone to pay then just take away the free option. 

Don't try to force me to pay w/ sexually explicit ads. 

"It's also worth mentioning here that only those over 18 should hear this educational campaign, and we are certainly not targeting our Christian users."

You are not targeting christian users? Well you certainly arent protecting the christian users. All I listen to are christian artists and instrumental piano and violin music. SERIOUSLY, get rid of these ads! I will go back to pandora if you dont make a way for me to not hear them. I may be over 18, but I still find the ad HIGHLY offensive!

Seriously, you need to do something about this. This is an R rated ad in my opinion. It would NEVER be played on the TV or radio, so why do you allow it?!?

DUDE. I posted on this forum once already about the stupid condom ads. Is NO ONE AT SPOTIFY READING THIS?? 

P.S. I hope this isn't your idea of a strategy to drive more users to your online forum community

Seriously. This is really messed up. My family as a whole has 4 different spotify accounts, and we are about to delete all of them. There is no need to play innappropriate ads like this.

I have to agree - I really don't want to have to explain the condom ad to my 8 year old. 

In order to promote awareness of this issue, please tag and kudo posts related to this issue. I've tagged everything I can find regarding the inappropriate ads issue and now the tags have moved into the top tag cloud on the main page. If there is another tag category that you feel should be added, please tag the posts. Also, remember to kudo those posts you agree with. Upset is now one of the top kudo'd posts, but this issue is so ridiculous that it should outrank any other issue! Let's get their attention and get these ads off of Spotify or at the least have them put a filter in the program so we can turn them off ourselves.

Get Premium hehe... you want free music but you don't want the ads that pay to make it all happen. How about the lubricant ads  on TV? Do you think they think it's baby oil?

@clf23 wrote:

I agree, what is this?  I leave spotify on and have my kids listen to kids songs on it!  Completely unacceptable for a commercial about condoms and sex to play like this.

It has to go, immediately.  Please everyone else speak up who agrees.

As for a more long range solution, how about some ability by users to block ads or choose prefered ad types?  There have been quite a few ads that I don't like playing while my children are listening (or me for that matter really).  So why not let us choose ad genres we're "ok" with or something.

Get

@shadesoblue wrote:

I agree, if there's no way to opt out of getting these condom ads, and they recur often--Spotify is gone. Which is too bad, because we use it all the time now and like most of the ads.

Premium!

Get f****** premium or go to Pandora.

@rush222 wrote:

Get Premium hehe... you want free music but you don't want the ads that pay to make it all happen. How about the lubricant ads  on TV? Do you think they think it's baby oil?

@clf23 wrote:

I agree, what is this?  I leave spotify on and have my kids listen to kids songs on it!  Completely unacceptable for a commercial about condoms and sex to play like this.

It has to go, immediately.  Please everyone else speak up who agrees.

As for a more long range solution, how about some ability by users to block ads or choose prefered ad types?  There have been quite a few ads that I don't like playing while my children are listening (or me for that matter really).  So why not let us choose ad genres we're "ok" with or something.

Pretty sure they said that they were letting their kids listen to kids songs. They don't have lube ads on Disney, Nickelodeon or Cartoon Network. One definitely should not have to monitor a kids songs/stations. Maybe Spotify should use target ads instead of just having a blanket system of the same ads for everyone.

You can pay for the service if you wish. Other people choose to express their concerns with the company over something that shouldn't be happening.

@ rush222: You're missing the point.  We're not complaining about the PRESENCE of ads- I, for one, accept that, in this day and age, ads are going to be a part of almost any free service, and it's a deal I can generally live with.

What we're upset about is the disgusting and inappropriate CONTENT of some of these ads.  The last thing I want when listening to music, especially around friends, family, or- God forbid- young children, is some message about condoms or lube suddenly bursting forth from my speakers (especially when I'm on a laptop, and the only way to mute the ads also pauses them, which means they're still gonna be there when I unmute).  It's embarassing, both to listeners and to this company.

And there's no way I'm going to reward this indiscretion with money when I can simply go to Pandora.  Or better yet, Grooveshark- where I have yet to hear a single ad, let alone one for Durex or KY.

Add me to the list of offended users. Not a Christian, not a teen, and not offended by sex or condom discussions - in their appropriate place. 

Spotify is not the place for the reasons everyone else has mentioned - kids listen, people listen at work, or perhaps it's just that 8:30AM is not the place to listen to people discuss their personal lives. I'm not upset with Spotify for selling ads, or for making deals with condom companies, but to spring this on people (pun sort of intended) without warning, and then continue running the ad after multiple complaints is a sign of a company not listening to customers.

You keep advertising for brilliant web developers - how about hiring one who can create a profile option allowing users to opt out of adult-oriented advertising? It's not that difficult, it could probably be done quickly, and all of this goes away.

As for the people suggesting everyone buy premium, it's nice of you to offer to pay for it. Not everyone can afford the fees, and frankly they're already helping pay for the service by acting as an audience for the ads. That's how advertising works - companies pay for ads in order to get people to listen, and hopefully get them to buy the advertised products. You've now got ten pages of upset advertising targets - how well is that going to work for the Durex folks?

Look, this isn't rocket science, and if Spotify is ready to say goodbye to a chunk of listeners over a single ad, then good for them and I hope the remaining listeners can make up for the shortfall.

The condom ads SUCK. You need to get a better writer. You can advertise this product without alienating your audience if you are CLEVER. The way these ads are now, I can't use Spotify in my house (if there's anyone else here.

I agree 100%.  I set my age to under 15 and still get them. 

Alerting my 800 facebook friends as well about the condom ads.  Please take them down immediately.

Please change this somehow, I find it really hard to browse through the library with "OOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHH AAAAAAAAAHHHHH NO NO, NOT YET!!!" dancing around in my peripheral vision.

Suggested posts