Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

Artists with the same name are always mixed up.

Artists with the same name are always mixed up.

Looks like there are a lot of artists with the same names in the world and they are usually mixed up. For example there is a reggae singer Pressure and a rapper Pressure (or maybe even a couple of them!), but Spotify thinks it is one artist.

I don't see any tools to mark their errors neither in mobile app, nor in desktop or web.

Could we as a users do something with it or is it just a poor service and no one cares?

10 Replies

Hi there! Thanks for coming to the Community.

I'd recommend checking out this Support article for more info on how to report tracks with wrong info and content errors.

Let me know if there's anything else I can help with and have a nice day 🙂

Jose_MSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

So, they know they have deep flaws in their system, but they choose to act like it's some rare fluctuations. Wow, just a few years and it's a bl☼☼dy enterprise all the way down.

Nice to know for sure, thanks!

Agreed, the same issue with reggae artist Exodus ( artist in the Virgin Islands like Pressure) 

Exodus

SPOTIFY: https://open.spotify.com/artist/4z9oxA6YVJo7cXZF6I0IL8?si=SmArwm0aT-6qv9Yj-m5wUg 

You can type in the name of the artist and the name of the song. This way spotify does not mix up the artists

This is not an issue that users can solve. Sure, we can report the individual issues, but I am wondering how these issues can even exist? This is caused by a flaw in the content process somewhere.

Today I noticed for yet another time a song in my Release Radar playlist for a band called Cooper. The Cooper I follow is a punkrock band from the Netherlands. The song in my playlist is definitely not a punkrock song. And it has a cyrillic song name. Not my Cooper.

There is also a new song "Sun" by a band Cake which is not from the band that I am following (remember the 90's classics The Distance and Frank Sinatra?) .

So, how does Spotify mix up these artists? It is becoming pretty annoying... And when will they fix it?

Agreed, this is getting ridiculous. I can even sort of understand when it comes to lesser known/underground artists (even though it is inexcusable for those as well to be mixed up). Paris for example, there's apparently 2 rappers with the same name. Paris, the west-coast oldskool rapper even got mixed up with some sort of pop artist once.
But it apparently happens with people like Rakim too, now some sort of new style french rap album is on his page. Rakim is a rap legend, stuff like this is insanely disrespectful and should not be happening. The fact that spotify tries to make its users solve these issues for them is disgusting.

I came to this forum to post this very issue, but I see it posted on the very first page already. Spotify is making tons of money because of the work these artists bring to the world. If you're going to milk the cow, at least feed it some fresh grass. 

Hi Djenin

Yes, there are the artists pages where these songs from the same named other band appear and I am very surprised that that is even possible. Artists (and albums, and tracks, and users, etc.) have a unique guid and you might expect that when new music is uploaded by/for an artist, it would be for the correct one - there must be some authentication process supporting this...

And then we have the auto generated playlists where (new) songs from the wrong artist are added. This seems like a more trivial flaw where songs are selected based on artist name, rather than guid. 

But I am only guessing here because I am not sure if these two issues are dependent on each other or not. In other words, if the first issue is solved, so will be automatically the second one.

If I was content product owner, I would prioritize this issue...

By now it is perfectly clear that Spotify doesn't care at all.

Another big problem is unavailable songs. And it is all spiralling straight to hℯll.

No one tries to solve any problems at all, other than the problems with the payment.

I still use free spotify with an adblocker from time to time and it's only getting shίttier.

Hey there @jahrave

Thanks for reaching out to the Community about this. 

Just jumping in to add some info to what @Jose_M said. You can report any content issues to the right team here

We also suggest you submit an idea. We always take new ideas and feedback into consideration to improve the app, and you can read more about how ideas work here.

If you're curious, you can read more about how the idea submission process works by clicking here. As a heads-up, it's good to know that the higher the number of votes an idea gets, the more likely it is for the idea to be implemented 🙂 

Hope you'll find this info useful. Let us know if you have any more questions.

Suggested posts