Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

Block Artists

Block Artists

Can you give me a way to block an artist? I prefer to listen to other people's playlists and in some genres the playlists often contain artists that I hate. I could not find a way to just stop playing their songs on everything I listen to. 

11 Replies

Hey there @abryto14

Thanks for reaching out about this here in the Community. We moved your post from the Ideas board to the relevant Help board, where it fits better.

You can already block an artist in the app.  You just need to go to the artist profile on your mobile phone app > Click the 3-dot menu > select "Don't play this". This will block all content from the artist on all devices. Note that if the artist is featured in a song/album from another artist it might still be playable.

On another note, if you want to stop getting recommendations about certain music, you can now exclude it from your taste profile. More info here 

Hope this helps. If you need a hand with anything else, the Community is here for you. 

EniModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

How do i do it on the web player?

Hey @jake104,

Thanks for posting in the Community.

This option is currently not available on the web player.

Hope this clears things a bit.

Cheers!

DianModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

And what do i do if there is no 3-dot menu?

Hey @Yonig1,

That's quite odd to hear. We'd like to take a closer look for sure, so please send us a screenshot of what you see on your end.

Can you let us know if you've already tried to log out > restart your device > log back in? It's also a good idea to try clearing your cache to remove any old files that might be causing issues.

If that doesn't do it for you, could you let us your phone's Spotify version and, if possible, if you experience this on other mobile devices?

Keep us in the loop!

ElenaModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

And why exactly is there no option for this on the desktop app? Can we discuss this just maybe?

This ABSOLUTELY needs to be an option on web/desktop.

i've blocked an artist using this feature and yet they keep being recommended to me over and over again. doesnt even work when you manage to do find the **bleep** button

Plan

Premium

Country

Australia

Device

(iPhone 13, Macbook Pro late 2017)

Operating System

(iOS 17, Mac OS Sonoma)

My Question or Issue

With the information that’s come to light about the predatory nature of the industry, its VITAL to be able to block specific Artists. As it stands, blocking works intermittently on iOS (featured songs will play) on desktop there is no feature. as i have PTSD, this is a real issue. Music is supposed to be a safe space. Same goes for podcasts, which I posted in community months ago. I don’t see Spotify actually changing this, it’s really important for awareness.

I blocked Kayne and AI DJ played Black Klansman anyway. Block doesn't work. It is an elevator close door button.

I found that Spotify generates a list of artists and songs based on what I initially started to play. That may be OK and to some extent it can also be good and give new views. So far so good but then I found that I didn't like some artists to be played and I couldn't find out how to rid the list of them other than cancelling each song one at a time. I googled and found the solution on non-spotify-sites. The way to go is obviously to use mobile app where blocking an artist is an option. So I did and I then thought I was home free but lo and behold. Spotify keeps putting those artists in the queue but jumps them. This means that I am allowed not to listen to them but I still need to see them in my list. Why? I suggest that a few extra lines of SW is written so this is mitigated. Wouldn't it also feel lika a natural thing to introduce the blocking feature to the desktop version? Also to let me find this information within Spotify instead of having to search elsewhere?

Suggested posts