Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

Disliked Release Radar artists keep appearing

Disliked Release Radar artists keep appearing

In order to make my Release Radar more accurate, I always select "I don't like this artist" when it recommends a song by an artist I don't listen to (anymore). However, it doesn't seem to have any actual impact on the playlist. These artists continue to appear. The only difference is that their songs function like unavailable tracks do on playlists. They're in gray font and they automatically skip. But they still hog the playlist. Considering I use Spotify a lot and I listen and follow lots of different artists, I don't think this is happening due to the lack of other possible recommendations.

Is there a way to solve this so that I can improve my Release Radar?

46 Replies

This is fine. It will happen every once in a while. What this means is that Spotify doens't have enough data for that week in order to complete a full playlist suggestion. Just keep listening to more music, and it will eventually clear up.

Thanks for providing a possible answer, but I doubt that's it. This happens to me all the time, and I listen to Spotify at least four hours a day. That's a decent amount of data for Spotify. I think this is just a glitch they haven't fixed.

I can't count how many time I've done this over the past year and I still get them in my Release Radar probably every other week...

Screen Shot 2019-12-06 at 11.23.59 AM.png

My account was hacked well over 3 years ago. I resolved it quickly and updated my credentials, and I still get the same French hip hop artists recommended to me, I've lost track how many times of "disliked" these artists. It doesn't seem to make a difference, they still show up in my feed.

Hey there @jmoverpeck,

Thanks for posting about this here in the Community!

If you haven't already, it'd be a good idea double checking that you aren't following the artist whose songs you're seeing. If you are, try unfollowing them, then unfollowing and following again your Release Radar playlist to shake things up.

Keep in mind that as an alternative, you can start afresh with a new account - there are steps on how to do that in this Spotify Answer. There's also a helpful Spotify Answer explaining how to transfer your music over from your original account. If you go ahead with this, make sure to cancel your subscription in your old account if you're on Premium.

Let us know how it goes! We'll be right here if you need more help.

Have a lovely day 🙂

KaterinaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself! 

If this is the reason why the same artists keep appearing on Release Radar, maybe when you dislike an artist, Spotify should provide a quick explanation and an "unfollow this artist" button as a suggestion in the popup when you click the dislike button. It's pretty unclear that this could be contributing to the issue in the way it's set up right now.

I can't believe i didn't think to check for that. Problem solved, thanks!

I'm still having this issue. Particularly today it happened, I disliked a majority of my release radar last week but half of it is still on my list this week. I listen to A LOT of music and artists, I have almost 7000 songs saved to my library so the issue isn't that I'm not listening to enough music. I only follow artists/bands that I know I like majority of their music and that I want to show up on my release radar. I'm not following any of the artists that I disliked on my release radar last week. I think it keeps recommending them because I liked a song or two of theirs in the past. Some of these artists aren't even saved to my library anymore, yet still recommending them. These disliked artists are also nowhere close to the music I like. Why are you recommending me pop and rap music when you can see from my spotify account, I like rock and hardcore/screamo music. Stop recommending me garbage radio music. 

By creating a new account, means that I would have to use a different email address than the one in currently using?

Hey there @Jcramosleon

Thanks for reaching out to the Community about this. 

Yes, when creating a new account you can't use the same email address you've already used for your old Spotify account. An email address may only be registered once with a Spotify account. 

Check out this help page for more info on how you can use your email address with Spotify. 

Hope this helps. Let us know how it goes. 

Hi Ivan,

I follow the instructions for changing my email address but it doesn’t allow to erase the current address. I try through my phone and computer but didn’t work. Any other suggestions? 

I have my account linked to my Facebook account. I think that’s why is not allowing me to delete my email. Is there other way I can delete my email? I’ve try disconnecting my Spotfy account from FB but it didn’t work

Sorry to necro this thread, but I've been facing the same issue for almost a year now. An artist that I've never listened to, never followed, never liked one of their songs (someone called Love Regenerator) keeps showing up in my release radar, and has been, for I said, almost a year now. Every week I dislike the song / artist and the next week they keep showing up. I'm led to believe the "dislike" button does absolutely nothing or there is a serious bug in the algorithm. I tried contacting Spotify via twitter (because it seems like that's the only place to contact them except here, and I didn't want to come here right away) and never heard back. So ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Had no idea about the 'following artist' issue. Makes sense AND the artists i'm having an issue with continually popping up in DW and RR playlists, despite my clicking on 'I don't like [artist] are artists I'm following... LOL.

I was following those artists due to their older catalogues and don't like their newer stuff, hence my unliking what Spotify is pushing via DW and RR playlists. Just unfollowed and we'll see if it works. Thanks!

I'm having the same issue and am getting even MORE recommendations from artists I've only listened to ONCE, and not even followed / liked. This is extremely frustrating.

so seriously, this solved my issue. just saw, that i am following all those artists, who are returning in my release radar and that i always down vote.

Also it is a problem, that spotify isnt really checking the music genre. for example, i liked a dnb artist Agro. but there is also a french rapper named agro? so i get french hip hop in my release radar, that i never ever listened. it is pretty dumb, that this algorithm isnt even checking, if it is in an apropriate genre.

This worked for me. Thanks for the tip!

This has been a long running issue for me as well. The "issues" provided by Spotify on this thread are nonsense. I've specifically only followed the 50 artists I'd like updates on, ever since I started using Spotify (2014). I have about 5000 songs in my library and listen to music about 12 hours a day. That should be enough training.

Although explicitly disliking every Release Radar song/artist I didn't enjoy, they keep coming back. I'm also repeatedly getting a lot of dated artists, that I liked songs of in 2006. I think part of the issue might be that a few of my oldest playlists (restaurant themes) gained a lot of followers, because the most recommendations I'm getting are related to those genres while I personally never listen to those.

On top of that, my absolute biggest frustration is that I have to find out myself that the artists that I'm following (or liked 20+ songs of) released new music a month ago. Why am I even following them, then?

The solution is ridiculous too. I'm not going to delete my Family account and set up an entire new email just so that it might (without certainty) solve the problem for a week or two. 

Spotify is always spot on with my yearly review and some other auto-generated playlists, meaning that the Release Radar issue relates to the algorithm and they should look into that rather than shove it towards its clients. We're not dumb. We just want to hear more of the artists we've had on repeat this year.

I keep being recommended Christian Contemporary Music, despite me always selecting "I don't like this artist" every week. 

An example would be Hillsong Worship. Almost every week it feels like I'm saying I don't like this artist, and I still get their songs in my Release Radar. Same with Bethel Music, The Worship Initiative, etc. 

I left Christianity two years ago in a traumatic way and don't want to be constantly recommended this music. I've unfollowed every Christian artist, deleted every Christian song from my playlists, and still it keeps occurring.

Suggested posts