Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Editing tools for genres and private mode toggle without timeout, please

Editing tools for genres and private mode toggle without timeout, please

My Question or Issue

Because of one (1) ambient playlist I have on at night my Discover Weekly only recommends ambient and Release Radar is getting more and more invaded by ambient sounds. Using private mode does not help as the toggle timeouts after a while. You really need to remove that timeout. And also give us tools to remove playlist- and genre-affecting recommendations after they have alteady completely polluted them beyond usability. Spotify should probably consider treating nature and ambient sounds more like podcasts than ”real” music. 

10 Replies

Hello @Kriisi 

Thanks for reaching out.

I'm sorry to hear you're experiencing issues with music recommendations. As far as I can see,it is currently only possible to remove artists from your recommendations and not whole genres. 

You probably won't have to do it for a long time though because as you keep removing those artists, your playlists get better at music you'll like.

On mobile, you go to the artist's page,tap on the 3 small dots and choose don't play this.

On desktop, there's also an option of "don't listen to [artist name]".

For more info,you can check out this article  .

Thanks

TaylithSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Yeah, I am aware of your suggested solutions, but don’t think they are adequate as they are slow and unspecific. I’ve been scrubbing my suggestion from unwanted content for some time now and see no change at all in for instance Discover Weekly which is consistently full of ambient and nature noises and nothing else. I mean it. When I scrub all unwanted ambient and nature noise, nothing remains on the list. Private mode turning itself off on its own certainly does not help.

Hello once again @Kriisi 

I'd like to apologize as my suggestions aren't really sustainable solutions.

I will be reaching out to stars and relevant people to see if there's a more effective way of dealing with those recommendations.

In the meantime, please bear with us

Thanks for reaching out 💚

TaylithSpotify Star

Here I am once again @Kriisi 

After some digging, this is all I was able to find,

Unfortunately, since all the Made for you content is based on the listening history, there's no "fast way" to get rid of unwanted recommendations. However, we've some suggestions in these cases.

First, we'd recommend listening to new music (tracks and artists) to "refresh" the algorithm and eventually change the suggestions of the mixes.

Also, you can try to use Private Session when playing ambient music to avoid these tracks to affect the mixes. Now I am aware you did say private session turns itself off but I'm afraid at the moment, there's no way to keep it locked.

You could however make that suggestion in Ideas to see if other users won't relate and back you up.

Thanks for being a part of the community 💚

TaylithSpotify Star

Right, so you didn't bother to actually read anything I peviously said. 

Hello
After you said my suggestions weren't enough,I escalated this post to people who have more experience and knowledge than I do and the feedback I gave was from them.
I have no control whatsoever on what features are available on the app,I can only say if they're present or not.
So my answers weren't helpful,I apologize for that, profusely.
You could make a replica of this post, one which I won't reply to and hopefully you'll get the assistance you need.
Thank you.
TaylithSpotify Star

I don’t mind not getting assistance, but I do mind if the assistance is ”do x” when the complaint is ”doing x does not work”. I know it is all the rage nowadays to not read what is being said, but it is rather irritating. If you are not a Spotify employee, then don’t try to act like one.

Hello @Kriisi,

As moderators of this forum and Spotify employees, we'd kindly ask to refrain from being condescending towards other users on the Community, especially when they're trying to help, and keep discussions constructive.

We're sorry you didn't receive what you were expecting, but from what we can see, @Taylith has done everything that he can to offer some assistance since what you'd like is not currently possible. We also see that he's clearly identifying as not being an employee.

In this case, there isn't anything that can be done besides providing alternatives and confirming how the current algorithmic recommendations work. There're currently no plans to change the Private Session timeout, however, we are exploring options to improve recommendations.

Still, if the majority of your listening history focuses on one genre, this will unavoidably affect automated algorithms. If you have a Premium Family subscription, one additional suggestion we can give is to create a "home" account or similar that you can then use to play the genres that you don't want added to the recommendations of your personal account.

We hope you understand and welcome you to continue participating in the Community discussions in a respectful and friendly manner.

Kiril Moderator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Thank you for the answer, still really not what I am reaching for, but seems we are not really understanding each other here anyways. But I do have to clear up one thing. Contrary to what seems to be your understanding here, I explicitly acknowledged this person to not be an employee. I was not saying that they are posing as one, I asked them not to act like one, the meaning of which I incorrectly thought to be evident: non-employees are not bound by same restrictions and playbook rules as employees and don't necessarily have to end up offering up the problem as a solution unless they want to. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

I want genre specific playlists as well. I listen to binaural beats to study, I don't want these in any of my daily lists, daily drive or favorite songs for the year.  How can we avoid this?  

fwiw: I didn't have impression responses from Kriisi were mobbing or condescending. Her feedback was legit based on the 'authoritative' recommendations that were provided, and clearly didn't read/understand the actual idea and troubleshooting they already had performed. #my2¢

Suggested posts