Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

Guessing Genre?

Solved!

Guessing Genre?

So im actually sorting some of my music by genre. To find more of the songs i like i try to get into the small sub-genres (like post grunge f.e.) but since im kinda new to that im getting confused. So im just asking here which song is which genre and then i can use that info to go on with the others.

Lost Within - Xplore Yesterday

Light for the Deadvine - People in Planes

I am Weightless - Septembre

This Night - Black Lab

Retreat! Retreat! - 65daysofStatic

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

@Sivo

That's true, indie refers to independent labels or music released independently.

The best method I've found for identificating song's genre is finding the song or the artist on last.fm. It may not be helpful at all times (especially not when the song or artist is very little-known), but it may give a pretty good clue.
The tags are user-added so they may not be completely correct. 🙂

Have a nice day!

SebastySpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

I wasn't really familiar with these songs, but I searched them on Google and they are putting them under the Alternative/Indie music genre. Sorry if that's not accurate though!

@karmacreator wrote:

I wasn't really familiar with these songs, but I searched them on Google and they are putting them under the Alternative/Indie music genre. Sorry if that's not accurate though!

Yea but thats one problem i have, like indie just means independet after what i read so basically any type of music can be like that if i understand that right but i try to sort the music after the actual music/playtype or stilistic sound not after a mood (like dark), nor a region or how many people know it.

For Retreat! Retreat! i got the sub-genre Post-Rock now.

Marked as solution

@Sivo

That's true, indie refers to independent labels or music released independently.

The best method I've found for identificating song's genre is finding the song or the artist on last.fm. It may not be helpful at all times (especially not when the song or artist is very little-known), but it may give a pretty good clue.
The tags are user-added so they may not be completely correct. 🙂

Have a nice day!

SebastySpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Indie was used to describe independent bands but now it has developed more into a genre. Now I don't know really how to describe it but it's often described/mixed up with alternative. Also you can have subgenes within it so indie rock/pop ect. This probably wasn't any help but meh 🙂

Suggested posts