Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

Is There a Way to Block Explicit Content?

Is There a Way to Block Explicit Content?

Is there an option to block a specific artist or song? For example, the "Early Morning" playlist had a track that kept using the word "**bleep**," which I have no desire to listen to. Thanks for any assistance you can provide.
35 Replies

I would also like to know if you can block inappropriate/explicit ads. I can control the music on my playlist... but I am at the mercy of the unwanted content in the ads. I do not have a problem listening to the ads, I just feel I should be able to choose the rating of the ads.  Many ads for artists I do not listen to have offensive content/language. Not only do I not want to hear the filth, I do not want my minor children listening to it when they use their accounts. 

After scouring all of Spotify's "Help", I have noticed you really can't get any help from them.... quite disappointing!

I couldn't agree more, I mean I like to let my students listen to music during class but need some kind of block against the unwanted noise.
Did you ever get a reply or solution?
Thanks!

I like everything about Spotify except for 1 very disappointing feature: I have to listen to inappropriate language lyrics on many customized-by-Spotify playlists. The playlists are generally great, but there is no way to "opt-out" of explicit content...why is that?

Many listeners do not want to hear expletives and filth, wise up Spotify!

Spotify PLEASE make a way to block explicit language or I will be going back to Pandora because it seems they care about what my children listen too. Thanks 

There are many edited albums on spotify. Try making a playlist with only edited songs. If you're unable to, I'll be more than happy to make one for you

I couldn't agree more, there needs to be an option to opt to block explicit language songs.  We enjoy listing to the hot hits and other playlists, rather than just creating our own.  With two young kids and the bad language on some song versions it causes real issues.  For this reason, leaving spotify and going to another music streaming provider which has this option is something that I will be exloring and I have friends who are considering the same.

very frustrating for such a good service, apart from this.

Rich

I agree 100% . I contacted Spotify and they indicated they dont "censor" music.... after explaing I was not asking them to censor, just simply offer an option fo rme to create playlists without expilcit content, the reposnses was typical " we will pass on your idea" but the real answer is  not expect them to offer this feature anytime soon.  For some reason, they seem to firmly believe this is censorship.   Not exaclty custoimer centric as addung the feature would only make everyone happy and not redcuce or censor any offerings....

I agree. I had a nasty experience today with my "Release Radar" playlist playing me some vile, violent, horrible shouty rap "music" song with horrifically explicit lyrics (I have never listened to anything like it so why it recommended it I don't know...).

That should not be censored as such, I agree, it should be there for people who want to listen to it, however I really don't like it and I don't want to hear it again. 

I really don't understand why "omit songs marked 'explicit' when creating playlists for me" isn't an option. 

I too would like a way to block explict content. Is it censorship, why yes it is. I don't want to listen to explicit content and I certainly don't want my children exposed to it. When they are of age and can purchase their own subscription, then it will be their choice. I would like the choice like Pandora makes available please. Thank you!

There isn't a setting for that at the moment; but you can manually go through your music and look for any songs labeled "Explicit". Click on those songs and they should give you an option to replace it with the clean version.

What?! another idea about the explicit filter? There must be about 10 different forums addressing this issue and no response from even the work experience kids. Must be a bit disconcerting to management because it weighs the rights of child safety and user choice against profit and record label appeasement

I work in an office that is very conservative.  We cannot play songs with explicit lyrics.  It would be nice to listen to other people's playlists, but I can't risk offending a client.  Spotify should strongly consider offering the option to filter explicit lyrics.

That's a great point, one I hope the Spotify staff will consider.

I'm in the middle of developing an app for window to block explicit content, and more! 
http://designful.ca/apps/spotify-playlist-manager/

A terrible thing occured today. I use the various playlists that Spotify makes: Today's Top Hits, Roots Rising, USA top 50 etc etc. I do this one, so I can hear new music that maybe I would not listen to by selection. Two, honestly most the time Im not even listening I just need sound.

So, today when playing the Today's Top Hits list in the office, a sales VP was in with a client and I was giving them a demo of what it is I do. as we were talking the VP said "...what the **bleep** is that on your radio?" and I said "Holy **bleep**, some **bleep**ing profanity huh?" and the customer said "man, at our company we cant **bleep**ing listen to **bleep** like that." and I said "well, we aren't **bleep**ing supposed to either, Im going to get my **bleep** chewed out."

So that's a real event. I bet Spotify wont let this post stand because of the words I use everyday ... ... but dont want being played in music that the general public can hear.

Im pretty sure it's easy to make a button you can click and just skip "EXPLICIT" I mean, the software is smart enough to show us the songs are "EXPLICIT" why cant we just have a button "block EXPLICIT" and then "UnBlock EXPLICIT" this way it would keep me from having to have **bleep**ing conversations about what kind of **bleep**ty music is playing

...just sayin.

Thanks for playing along guys!

can we get this fixed up?

obviously not

Hey all!

Please add support to this Explicit Button idea!

Hopefully it becomes reality soon.

If there's anything I could help you with, let me know 🙂

SebastySpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

I get the censorship issue but as a premium user, I don't want it.  Music artists choose their audience by their content the same as movie producers.  I should be able to choose what I don't want to hear.  For goodness sakes Spotify, kids use this.

I couldn't agree more, my kids want to listen to top 50 uk hits on mix but loads of song are explicit version of songs played on the radio. Don't realise, especially when playing in car until you start hearing explicits and then have to turn song off. Artists losing out hear too.

Get it sorted.

Rich

Suggested posts