Japanese Music

216 people liked this

Japanese Music

Acr1m
Casual Listener

There is a vast amount of music that seems to only be available in Japan. The only way for Americans to obtain any of this music is through YouTube (which is a pretty lame way to stream music and very limited selection at that) to order the albums over sea (needless to say this gets ridiculous expensive) or to download it illegally.

My notion to the Spotify staff members is to break down the boundaries of America's and Japan's music industries and to allow us to listen to even recorded music from other countries across the world! 

Does anyone else feel the same way as I do?

70 Replies
11 people liked this

Re: Japanese Music

overfloater
Roadie

@Acr1m wrote:

Does anyone else feel the same way as I do?

I'm sure Spotify does too!

Unfortunately their hands are ultimately bound by licensing terms offered (or not) by the labels. The best Spotify can do is plead/beg/crawl/offer their bodies, but it's not always going to be enough. The music industry was slow to accept digital distribution in any form and they're going to be even slower to become comfortable with streaming licenses, especially across international borders.

I can see Japan being a tough nut to crack, in particular, since they've always had a well-developed (and somewhat insular) music market of their own. Western artists and labels have already had to work hard and jump through hoops to break into that market -- that's why the majority of Japanese releases by western artists have a bunch of bonus and previously unreleased tracks, because they feel they need to offer a bunch of value-added content in order to be noticed and capture interest amongst the huge amount of domestic competition. I can imagine that clear division of markets making license negotiations much more problematic for Spotify than, say, bringing in labels from around Europe.

18 people liked this

Acr1m
Casual Listener

Fist off, I just wanted to let you and everyone at Spotify know that I love yalls work and am very thankfull for the product that your team provides.I honestly respect and appreciate the difficulties of licensing and market competition issues between the countries as well..

I've been wishing for a reasonable method of obtaining Japanese music and even just international music in general, like music from India and Korea as well, for a long time. Because of the licensing and marketing issues, I understand that this dream of mine isn't going to just come about, like how I wish.

I'm willing to put some effort in demonstrating that there is a demand for attainable international music within the states here. Is there some way that we could make a difference in this issue to help you and the members of Spotify to make some headway in this matter?

3 people liked this

mpr18
Casual Listener

I sure wish Spotify would open in Japan, would be great especially if all japanese major labels would be open to streaming :)

12 people liked this

pepinonino
Regular

I made a spotify list of japanese rock, pop, electronic, psychedelia.. In case anyone is interested.. http://open.spotify.com/user/pepinoenlamano/playlist/74pidAlCJ181vrtSHGfXZK

6 people liked this

13thark
Casual Listener

id be interested in hearing a response from spotify, or maybe there is one, about attempts or progress on getting more japanese record lables to jump on board, alot of bands are on itunes, but not spotify, so id be interested in seeing what the lables are saying about spotify and digital streaming in general. im sure they would like a slice of the pie insted of having the rest of the world pirate their music insted. 

japanese music is one of my favevorites and it has so many diverse geners that i could just get lost endlessly finding new music, which makes spotify so much fun.

1 person liked this

SAEQ
Casual Listener

Maybe United Nations should force all music producers to sell their music to all distributors no matter what, without any agreement/contracts and let UN have the power to set a resonable price/compensation.

Or do someone have a better suggestion? It clearly dossent work well in several ways, as it is now. The end user want it distrubuted in an effective way at the lowest possible price with adjustable quality. The producers want to produce and get paid. The distributors want to get access to as much material as possible to distribute.

Whats the problem? Bad organisation and no higher power that can force, instead its the market economy that decide and the market economy isnt intelligent enough to organise this in a good way.

8 people liked this

Kestrelxox
Music Fan

GameraVsGodzuki
Visitor

HEYYY!!!!

Your playlist is really jam packed with some great stuff I didn't realize was on spotify!

Great Job!!!!

-DB

2 people liked this

Kestrelxox
Music Fan

Do you mean mine? Thanks! ^_^ I'm still finding new stuff so adding whenever I do :) It's actually a lot better than I thought although there are still artists who seem to be missing like Gackt (apart from the one single) and Alice Nine... but it seems that this is to do with the artists distributed by Ganshin Records. I'd also love to see more of Hikaru Utada, the mic musicbox stuff is just annoying :p

SUGGESTED POSTS