Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Japanese Music

Japanese Music

There is a vast amount of music that seems to only be available in Japan. The only way for Americans to obtain any of this music is through YouTube (which is a pretty lame way to stream music and very limited selection at that) to order the albums over sea (needless to say this gets ridiculous expensive) or to download it illegally.

My notion to the Spotify staff members is to break down the boundaries of America's and Japan's music industries and to allow us to listen to even recorded music from other countries across the world! 

Does anyone else feel the same way as I do?

77 Replies

@Tytoalba - Dude... would you mind telling me how you posted links that opened up spotify on my desktop?!? 😮 So cool...

Try Toe if you haven't heard them yet - also really awesome 🙂

@Acr1m: You just have to right-click on the artists name in the Desktop App and select  "Copy Spotify-Url". Then you can paste the link in the forum.

By the way, I created a Playlist with some of my favorite japanese artists. Some weird mix of classical/avantgarde/psychedelic-rock/electronic etc. Here's the link if someone wants to give it a try:

From Japan

My Spotify Playlists:
http://open.spotify.com/user/1121836615

Just waiting for Virgin Fields, the new album from THE TEENAGE KISSERS, to pop throught the letterbox. Enjoy it here:

Follow me

I'm holding out hope for Luna Sea, Lareine, Moi dix mois, Janne da Arc, Acid Black Cherry and Gackt to make their appearance on Spotify at some point!

Mass of the fermenting dregs is great for those who's looking for post rock/shoegaze.
I would suggest Zanzen boys, Mudy on the 昨晩(sakuban), NisennmondaiRega or even Mouse on the Keys. Toe, as stated by @Krestrelxox is one of the best post rock/ math rock band I've heard, highly rec it.
I also like PolysicsMelt-Banana and Bump Of Chicken a lot, but they're not really math rock.

(Melt-Banana's albums are split between "Melt Banana" and "Melt-Banana", an error i guess.)

These sound cool, @thepollbox! I'll check them out.

I'm going to a festival tomorrow that LITE and MONO (and other non-Japanese bands) are playing. Its gonna be great!! 

I made a playlist with a track from each band on the lineup, if anyone wants to check it out: 

ArcTanGent 2014

Hi! Earlier there was music from a Japanese band called M.O.V.E. However it disappeared a long time ago (at least 3 months ago) and I'm very disappointed. M.O.V.E. is well known for their contribution of opening and closing theme songs for the Initial D series, which is a popular series and I think that many people who watched the series would like to have the band back in Spotify. I know the band disbanded, but is that the reason it disappeared from Spotify? Is there any way to get it back?

Deco*27 and a load of other Vocaloid producers were available on Spotify a while ago too, then suddenly they just disappeared. I know it's likely down to labels and royalties, but it's a shame that the limited selection of Japanese, or asian music in general, that's available on Spotify is missing/losing some great bands and artists!

I feel the same way. 

Hey there.

As there is no Spotify in Japan or China, there is also almost no music from these countries. If you want all the music, you need to get more countries and labels in. Still, labels can choose from where stuff is listenable - in other words some japanese or chinese songs ccan be available for example in one country, but not in another.

Hope this helps. Happy Spotifying!

Seriously, guys, there's no japanese music on Spotify, period. All the major labels in Japan have refused to sign contracts, so the little you get are foreign licenses, which equals almost nothing.

Awesome!!!! >0<

@Jack wrote:

I've been getting into this band, they seem cool. For fans of 'math rock' out there. 

Also, LITE – bond is absolutely amazing!!!! (It's got a cool music video too)

If anyone's got any more Japanese math rock recommendations, let me know! 

I recently noticed that Spotify now has all of Perfume's back catalogue. You can't not like them! =D

Opportunity, the brand new album from The Mirraz has popped up.

I *love* The Mirraz!

Follow me

I should also point out that US listeners who like the metal Japanese band Loudness there has been an increase in their material offered which has been available from Japan only. Here is their artist page for anyone interested, they do not have every release but allot more material than from earlier times. spotify:artist:2bjzKs28cL5EVKB0xqUGuJ the URI will open directly in the desktop app.

It seems that some Japanese Music are now available in Spotify. So far, I've seen tracks from the following bands/artists:

- SCANDAL

- Asian Kungfu Generation

- FLOW

- Yui

- Uverworld

- L'arc~en~cieL

- Funky Monkey Babys

- Gackt

- High and Mighty Color

- TM Revolution

- Kanon Wakeshima

- SID

and many more..

Soundclown and their new copyright infringement bull**bleep** putting down tons of original composer and music producers profile with an obvious lack of INTELLIGENCE .Just another gravediggaz/gravefindaz lick-ass corporate oriented smelly business who , for years , was the first illegal source of illegal downloads ( with youtube ) don t protecting API and don t even responding to your mails...Absolute *******...Pay reatroactive royalties to artists ( not exclusively to who got a PRO account ) with your ( expensive ) monthly fees instead of givin pretentious lessons of equity and defending copyrights ( my bum ) and put our reatroactive money in your bloody wallet...Swindlers...YOU copyright infringers

We are all slaves of this worldwide American Copyright auto-law who are slowly but surely killing independent music suspended to an ( perhaps ) American Congress decision ( in 2017 they say but probably active in ....3017 probably )...This streaming business is awful , hypocrit and feed only the first 5 numbers of Billboard...Spotify , Apple Music , Deezer , Tidal , Youtube , Pandora , Mixcloud...go f*** off y'all you bloody proxenets... We can t do it anymore of your **bleep**ty smell , your restrictions , you way to invent your own auto-profit laws , your 0.006 $ a click compassionate retribution to music ( they pay 60 $ for one million clicks...come on ..let's be serious ) ....too smelly and surely not enuff for inspired ,genuine , couragous , faithful people like us who give all they have to create music....enuff is enuff and this bull**bleep** have to STOP... We are not your ******* anymore guys...surely not !!!

Suggested posts