Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

Keeping play count and position in playlists when re-releasing a song.

Solved!

Keeping play count and position in playlists when re-releasing a song.

Hey all,

Situation:

An artist would like to re-release a previously released song under a new name. I have been told that it is easy enough to bring the playcount over - along as long as you have the ISRC, however what I'd like to know is; is it possible to do this and have the song remain or return to it's position in playlists?

I.e if the song was in discover weekly or a fixed playlist would it automatically carry over or would one need to get ahold of Spotify to do this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
many thanks,

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey @Joshuaaa

Sorry for the late reply.

The new release should take the place of the old release. What happens is that any place that the old release is in, it will link to the new release in the same spot. When it links, playcount will also transfer over to the new release.

Using the same ISRC code alone is not enough to guarantee a link. The metadata such as artist, song title, song length, similar audio file, etc also play a role in if it links, and each piece of metadata that doesn't match decreases the chance of it being linked.

Your best bet is to reupload the song/abum with the same ISRC code and song title and everything with the new artist name and if it doesn't link, you can try to contact support:

https://artists.spotify.com/contact

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Marked as solution

Hey @Joshuaaa

Sorry for the late reply.

The new release should take the place of the old release. What happens is that any place that the old release is in, it will link to the new release in the same spot. When it links, playcount will also transfer over to the new release.

Using the same ISRC code alone is not enough to guarantee a link. The metadata such as artist, song title, song length, similar audio file, etc also play a role in if it links, and each piece of metadata that doesn't match decreases the chance of it being linked.

Your best bet is to reupload the song/abum with the same ISRC code and song title and everything with the new artist name and if it doesn't link, you can try to contact support:

https://artists.spotify.com/contact

MattSudaSpotify Star

Thanks for the response Matt!

I am still quite a way off the re-release but your advice is much appreciated!
many thanks,
J

You're welcome

MattSudaSpotify Star

Sorry

Suggested posts