Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

My song got botted without my consent, what do i do?

My song got botted without my consent, what do i do?

One of my new songs got added to a playlist called „Hip Hop News“ without my approval and it seems like the playlist is using bots. (Link to the playlist: https://open.spotify.com/user/uzy0kses0fougfe4yg1pmx7s2/playlist/3hED5O4ipfsEwWKzOPuWbR) It has 0 followers but it gave me over 500 streams in one day.

As soon as i realized this (about 2 days after getting added to the playlist) i contacted Spotify for Artists support but they just told me that they cant do anything about it and that i should just report the playlist, which i did. I have also contacted the curator but i didn‘t get a response as of now.

In case my song won‘t get removed from the playlist, should i delete it from spotify and re-release it or are there better solutions?

6 Replies

Hi! I just had the same problem. In my case the playlist is called "spotify.so".  In one day I had 4k of streams...I never contacted this playlist!  I’ve send an e-mail to Spotify.so but, as you, I don't get a response. I contacted Spotify for Artists. They ask to me the name of the playlist and keep them updated if Spotify.so reply to my e-mail. Now my stats are compromised. Do you think that should be a good idea to remove the song from stores? My distributor is Distrokid. Thank you! Best regards, Manuel

I personally deleted the song that was affected by botting from spotify, as it seems there aren‘t any other options. Spotify for artists support told me that they can‘t remove songs from user-playlists. I also use distrokid and they can remove songs from only one platform and leave it up everywhere else if you message their support. Sucks, cause i was really proud of that song

Hi! I  did the same yesterday! I've removed the song from all platform using the edit -> remove song in distrokid.

In fact, in my case is ok. The song had a mix and mastering that required an improvement. 

This was the occasion to improve mixing and mastering.

Do you known if it is possible to distribute the new version using the same title?

But how can protect our music and make sure it doesn’t happen again?

In my case when i tried re releasing the song the playlist data of it got saved on spotify so the new release was in the same bot playlist again, so i had to delete it permanently. But try to release your remastered song again and see if it‘s different for you. About protecting your music from stuff like this, you can‘t. Anybody can add your music to their playlists and you have no control over whether they use bots or not, so all you can do is keep an eye on your stats and if you notice anything suspicious, react quickly and try asking the curator to take it off their playlist. If you can’t reach them you can only delete it. 😞

Have you changed the title of the track?

If I upload a remastered version of my song with some change in arrangement and a different title, in Distrokid I must answer yes to the question "Previously released? Has this single been previously released?"

I released my song with the same title as before. If you change the title and rearrange the song you don‘t have to say yes to „previously released“.

Suggested posts