Regarding cover songs

Regarding cover songs

CelestialAeon
Roadie

Sometimes I run into artists that effectively gain visibility by publishing cover music with original artist "referred" so that the cover album is also visible through the original artists portfolio. For example:

https://open.spotify.com/album/0UnbMm1SzcGhzu6tPrXIhP

I was wondering if this is actually legal and according to Spotify EULA? Because this gives quite massive "free publicity" to totally irrelevant artists that just ride for example in this case on Ramin Djawadi's visibility.

If it is legal then I guess there is no point in publishing cover tunes without doing this, but it feels in many ways wrong, hence the question.

3 Replies
1 person liked this

Re: Regarding cover songs

AnyGaming
Regular

Citing from Spotify's Metadata style guide for licensing partners:

"Product or track titles for cover songs must not make reference to the original artist.
Do not use phrases such as “Made Famous By”, “Originally Performed By,” “In the
Style of,” “Tribute to,” or “Cover of” in the track title or version field."

and

"Cover products must not use deceptive or misleading artist names, product titles or
versions, or track titles or versions that may confuse users."

So no, you can't do that. 

Further the document mentions that the consequence of this may be that the label may receive a strike or ban from Spotify. 

CelestialAeon
Roadie

Thought as much - it raises just the question that why this album is still online as it seems to clearly break the rules

1 person liked this

AnyGaming
Regular

Generally everything distributors send to Spotify goes live without manual review on Spotify's end. If distributors don't properly enforce the guidelines things like this can happen. Spotify hardly ever notices unless it's brought to their attention. 

SUGGESTED POSTS