Song radio is now just a playlist?

12 people liked this

Song radio is now just a playlist?

JordanTheJam
Casual Listener

Hey all, first off I love Spotify. Spotify constantly surpasses my expectations For finding new music. There is one question I have, and it's in regards to the song radios. Recently I noticed that when you create a song radio, it creates about a 30 song playlist that you can't edit. I was wondering if this is permanent or if I can revert to the previous version of Spotify because that's how I found most of my music, by editing don't radio stations. 

Since I'm here, I'm also curious about the algorithms used to find similar songs in a radio, considering the same few artists continually show up with different types of songs rather similar types of songs. Who knows, maybe I'm paranoid. Regardless great app, thanks to anyone who can help.

10 Replies
4 people liked this

Re: Song radio is now just a playlist?

KCOLL19
Casual Listener

What is going on with this?  Radio seems to be nothing more than static playlists now?  

1 person liked this

wavyap_
Roadie

Hello,

Although song and artists radios look like playlists you cannot edit them. 

If you are looking for more songs like those you can make your own playlist then Spotify will create a playlist similar to it. 

Hope this answers your question.

Please accept as a solution

Note: I am not a Spotify employee.

4 people liked this

JordanTheJam
Casual Listener

I don't think you understand the point I was trying to make, I simply don't want song radios to be small playlists. I want to be able to edit them as if they were the song radios they used to be. Or for an option to revert to the previous version.

10 people liked this

Mhoelzel142
Casual Listener

I first noticed this behavior about a few weeks on my phone and it looks like it's carried over to all platforms and versions by now. I relied on the song radio feature to find new music using the like/dislike buttons for songs to customize the radio feed for my tastes. The fact that "song radio" is just a "song playlist" now is misleading and stupid, and it's incredibly irritating that I can't edit the playlist - like if I like every song except 1 on the "song radio" playlist, I can't get rid of that song, I have to create a new playlist with every single song except that one.

Spotify, this is the dumbest change you've made aside from removing playlist filtering. I'm pretty **bleep** close to switching to youtube music because of your terrible choices lately.

7 people liked this

Kerngehirn

This is so stupid. Improving radio by linking and disliking songs was one of the most used features by myself. Now there's nothing like that anymore. Seems deezer is better after all with its flow. 

4 people liked this

KCOLL19
Casual Listener

I've identified a quasi hack to this issue - If you right click on a playlist and select "go to playlist radio" it mimics the previous functionality in terms of the thumbs up and down impacting what gets played next, i.e. it's dynamic.  Makes zero sense that they removed this from individual artist pages.  

spotmesomesongs
Casual Listener

GENIUS. thank you. i literally isolated one song into a playlist and followed your instruction. got my radio back baby.

1 person liked this

stomper90
Casual Listener

Worked for me too. What a hack. No support articles or updates from Spotify. I don't want to listen to curated Spotify playlists. This is where Pandora kills them and the fact that they are moving away from this makes no sense.

1 person liked this

jaredrutledge

I'm guessing it's got something to do with that "stations" app they're testing out. I found a hack in another thread too - if you DRAG a song to the "Radio" tab on the left in desktop, it shows you the real song radio that isn't a playlist. From there you can follow it and it'll add it to your stations instead of making a playlist. But if at any point you right click on a song and hit "go to song radio" it just shows you a playlist, not the true song radio. The only way to get there is by dragging. Even clicking on the now-saved "station" takes you back to the playlist view.

I found this out because I was irritated that there was no way to put anything in the "stations" tab - adding a song radio just put another playlist in the left column, which is not the functionality I wanted. The dragging method works (for now).

That said, they're obviously in the middle of re-jiggering everything and aren't being communicative about it.

SUGGESTED POSTS