Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

Uploading unofficial remixes

Uploading unofficial remixes

Hi guys,

Im a starting producer and obviously I use samples or vocals from which I dont own the copyrights. Now before yesterday there wasnt a platform to upload these songs I produced to. Now I came across this post from The Fader which says that uploading unofficial remixes to spotify is available now. Does anyone know if this is true and can everyone do this? Thanks in advance.

link to post: Link

7 Replies

That sounds too good to be true. I don't know enough to give an official answer, but in my opinion, I still think you'd have to abide all copyright laws before you uploaded it to Spotify otherwise you could run into a lot of trouble.

Thanks for the reply, but the point is that there are a lot of amateur producers who are trying to pave their way. They make music and ofcourse they use vocals or samples that are not theirs. This way they can get known faster.

But there is no platform for them to upload these songs, expect soundcloud (if it doesnt get removed). 

Lot of producers who got big started out this way, for example: Kaytranada, Cashmere Cat, Lido, Flume, Ta-Ku etc. 

And if you think about, why cant spotify just pay the labels who own the rights/songs as if the original song was played. I think that would bring a lot of people to spotify, because now people who want to listen to unofficial remixes are on soundcloud. Some songs can easily get over a million plays. 

This may be the wrong place to post this.
Is there a way to request unofficial remixes for Spotify to pursue.
For example, there is a remix of a Phantogram song called Fall in Love by Until the Ribbon Breaks. Spotify has the catalogues of both these artists, but not the remix of the song. I find that odd. Who owns the song? Who can give permission to Spotify to stream it?
In addition, there is Bjork's All is Full of Love (Plaid Remix), which was actually released as a B-side to the single. Doesn't that count as "official."
Either way, those are two of my favorite remixes that I secretly like better than the original songs.
Am I powerless in this regard, especially since the latest news states Spotify will not be acquiring SoundCloud?

this is bullsh...t, i don se any bootleg remixes out on spotify and itunes, this is just a PR stunt, to bullsh..t u into beliveing its a real unoffial remix out there, the same ppl making the orginal that is making THE "unofficial remix" what a scam

There are a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOT of unnoficial remixes in Spotify lol haha and they are still making money ...

Nobody actually cares...

Try, mixcloud or soundcloud like me....Check out djfusion.london on #SoundCloud
https://on.soundcloud.com/8ktqF

Suggested posts