Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

Why a four song album is considered a single?

Solved!

Why a four song album is considered a single?

Hi, I'm an artist, my name is Max Corbacho, this is my artist page at Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/artist/0Qg8V53QwgXLDtN0xMUL5q
Some of my albums have only four, even one track, but they are at least 70 minutes long, which means that cataloging them as singles seem inappropriate, and these albums are not shown to my followers, at least in the version for android. In some community answer, I read that Spotify considers a single any album of fewer than 5 songs. It's ridiculous, especially if each of these songs is at least 20 minutes long, something typical in Prog Rock, ambient, etc. But what is truly outrageous is that, for example, Thick as a Brick, Jethro Tull's album, has only four songs and yet appears in the albums section, not as a single. Can you at Spotify tell me why? Please do yourself a favor and solve this. A single is a ONE SONG, not a four song album. I have tried to solve this issue by addressing my digital distributor, they have sent me to you, Spotify, and I have sent messages to you. Nothing has worked. My albums are still not showing to my followers. Please solve this problem.
Thanks in advance.
Max Corbacho

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey @slowwave

The way new releases are shown to followers has changed. If a user is signed up for new music emails, they will receive one email a week that highlights new releases from the artists they follow alongside a link to their Release Radar playlist. Release Radar is a Spotify generated playlist to see all new releases from followed artists. You can get to the Release Radar by visiting the Discover section in Browse. The in-app notification bell and activy feed have been discontinued.

Also, I suggest checking out the artist FAQ page:

https://artists.spotify.com/faq/music#why-is-my-album-ep-under-the-singles-section-of-my-discography

"Both Singles and EPs appear in the "Singles" section of your artist page. On Spotify, all products under 30 minutes or with 6 tracks or less are considered EPs."

If the album is 6 tracks or less it will be considered an EP and show up under the singles section. So to me it sounds like if the album is under 6 tracks (no matter the length) it will show up under the singles section.

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Marked as solution

Hey @slowwave

The way new releases are shown to followers has changed. If a user is signed up for new music emails, they will receive one email a week that highlights new releases from the artists they follow alongside a link to their Release Radar playlist. Release Radar is a Spotify generated playlist to see all new releases from followed artists. You can get to the Release Radar by visiting the Discover section in Browse. The in-app notification bell and activy feed have been discontinued.

Also, I suggest checking out the artist FAQ page:

https://artists.spotify.com/faq/music#why-is-my-album-ep-under-the-singles-section-of-my-discography

"Both Singles and EPs appear in the "Singles" section of your artist page. On Spotify, all products under 30 minutes or with 6 tracks or less are considered EPs."

If the album is 6 tracks or less it will be considered an EP and show up under the singles section. So to me it sounds like if the album is under 6 tracks (no matter the length) it will show up under the singles section.

MattSudaSpotify Star

Thanks for your answer, MattSuda. From what you say here, I see that in Spotify you are not even willing to debate about this. I guess you're in the position of strength, the position of the Boss, that is, take it or leave it. I believe, sincerely and humbly, that you should listen to small artists from time to time because some of the present small artists perhaps in the future will be the great artists. I do not say it for me, if not for many artists, small, as me, to whom you absolutely ignore their/our opinions. Well, I go to the subject:
Since the beginning of the recording industry, a single was this, a recording containing one or two short songs, and that has been so forever. It's something accepted by everyone, except for you, Spotify.
I repeat, I do not know how a 20- or 30-minute track can be conceived as a single. I think I've missed something, and so have you.

Second question:

Ok, let's assume yes, that for you a single is an album of fewer than 6 tracks. Well, tell me then why Thick as a Brick by Jethro Tull appear in the albums section. Contains four songs. The same, or even worse, with the original version of A Passion Play also of the Tulls, this version only contains two tracks. Please tell me why. Tell me you or the boss in person of Spotify.
As the great spanish writer and professor, Don Miguel de Unamuno said at the end of the civil war: 'You will win, because you possess more than enough brute force, but you will not convince'
Thank you, in any case, for reading this.

@slowwave

Sorry, but I don't any control over this. I just help provide information to people who post here in the community and help answer their questions.

You can submit an email to the Spotify artists team if you want to ask them about this or raise your concerns: https://artists.spotify.com/contact

MattSudaSpotify Star

Funny how this doesn't seem to apply to Pink Floyd.

Suggested posts