Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Is there a command to play a playlist using command line?

Is there a command to play a playlist using command line?

Hi,

I want to fall asleep and wake up to music on Spotify. I'm making a batch file to do this but I still need a command to play a playlist on Spotify. If you know how to do this can you please help. Thanks.

This is what I have so far -

@echo off
ping 1.1.1.1 -n 1 -w 10000 >nul
c:\windows\system32\taskkill.exe /f /im spotify.exe
ping 1.1.1.1 -n 1 -w 20000 >nul
C:\Users\User\AppData\Roaming\Spotify\spotify.exe

21 Replies

The easiest way is to have a vbs file that does this

I have one that plays music atomatically(paste this into notepad):

Set WshShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
Comandline = "C:\Users\Max\AppData\Roaming\Spotify\Spotify.exe"
WScript.sleep 500
CreateObject("WScript.Shell").Run("spotify:user:8aller:playlist:4aoBDuMJnk4Oza13a8Fnbo")
WScript.sleep 3000
WshShell.SendKeys " "

Change the path to your spotify app location on your pc.

change the my url to the "Spotify Url" of your playlist.

click file>save as then save as something.vbs and save as all files

click on the vbs script - it should open and play your playlist

if you go to bed at the same time every day you can use task scheduler for it to autoplay at the same time every day

it is also possible to have the music fade(for sleeping) via vbs and get gradually louder as well(think an alarm).

where would i find the docks on run api? lol i hope its not easy to find

Hey mate, thank you for writting this because that just worked nearly perfectly.

The script opened spotify, and directed it to that playlist, but it didn't start. I was wondering if you could help me out with that part.

Thanks in advance,

Jay

p.s. I know nothing about scripts, or code.

I had the same problem as you. But after playing around a bit, I realised it was just that the final 'spacebar' command is executed before my slow system could open spotify and navigate to the playlist. Just changing that 3 second delay to 8 second delay fixed it.

Change "Wscript.sleep 3000" to "Wscript.sleep <something long enough for your computer>"

This doesn't work for me.  Always starts with the last played track.  Have played around with the pauses but still doesn't work.

Try replacing the last line that executes 'space' to this, which executes ENTER

WshShell.SendKeys "{ENTER}"

This might help you. If not, try using a track's spotify URL in the place of a playlist's url and try with ENTER. Just play around - eventually will play a song you want 😉

Thanks a lot man, I'll give it a go.

A bit late, but if you add: 

WScript.sleep 100
WshShell.SendKeys "^{RIGHT}"

to the end, with shuffle play configured, a random track will be selected for playback.

For context, the entire script:

Comandline = ":\Users\Rando\AppData\Roaming\Spotify\Spotify.exe"
WScript.sleep 500
CreateObject("WScript.Shell").Run("spotify:user:saurabhmenon:playlist:4SKzklVn82CszokiizmJHc")
WScript.sleep 10000
WshShell.SendKeys " "
WScript.sleep 100

This still seems to play whatever traick I had open previously, it doesn't play the album or playlist it opens to.

Comandline = ":\Users\Rando\AppData\Roaming\Spotify\Spotify.exe"
WScript.sleep 500
CreateObject("WScript.Shell").Run("spotify:user:saurabhmenon:playlist:4SKzklVn82CszokiizmJHc")
WScript.sleep 10000

Here, try this.

But only work wen spotify is in first. How do it with spotify minimized.

Thanks

I tried the following code to start a playlist:

Comandline = "C:\Users\lenovo\AppData\Roaming\Spotify\Spotify.exe"
WScript.sleep 500
CreateObject("WScript.Shell").Run("spotify:user:21fa7f2euodm5se7wfmjmysfa:playlist:37dwq4kMEpQVqdXBfbaPid")
WScript.sleep 1000
WshShell.SendKeys " "

It managed to open spotify snd start playing, but not from the specified playlist.

My playlist URL is:

https://open.spotify.com/user/21fa7f2euodm5se7wfmjmysfa/playlist/37dwq4kMEpQVqdXBfbaPid

Can you tell me where I am going wrong?

Thank you in advance

I used the solutions here to Launch a playlist with Smartthings.  Here is a viideo of it .  Any of you know the command line to "Connect a device?  I would love to be able to switch to another device automaticaly. Thanks for the info https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LNVrFHCKkA&t=266s

Hi Nate, your video and explanation are excellent. I'm using your solution to play a song at a specific time each day. Did you ever find out how to make it play on a specific device? I can make Spotify beam music to my Soundbar by selecting it manually but would like to make this part of the automatic playback script.

So I realized that if you press tab 4 times, then press enter, then your desired playlist will play, so here is the same, but modified code that worked:

Comandline = "C:\Users\Max\AppData\Roaming\Spotify\Spotify.exe"
WScript.sleep 500
CreateObject("WScript.Shell").Run("spotify:user:spotify:playlist:37i9dQZEVXcX5xSSJR3tfB")
WScript.sleep 8000
WshShell.SendKeys "{tab}"
WScript.sleep 100
WScript.sleep 100
WScript.sleep 100
WScript.sleep 100
WshShell.SendKeys "{enter}"

Thanks! Are you using this with Spotify for Windows? I’m trying to play to a Google Cast device, but Cast devices don’t appear on the device list until I start playing music to it on a mobile device.

This .vbs file is awesome!  TAB 4 TIMES WORKED!!!!!!  🙂  🙂  🙂  It starts spotify, my playlist, switches to the main device, and skips to the second song....  (I may add the random song option code again)

Comandline = ":\Users\Marilinda\AppData\Roaming\Spotify\Spotify.exe"
CreateObject("WScript.Shell").Run("spotify:")
WScript.sleep 5000
WshShell.SendKeys "^{d}"
WScript.sleep 1000
WshShell.SendKeys "{TAB 2}", True
WScript.sleep 1000
WshShell.SendKeys " "
WScript.sleep 1000
CreateObject("WScript.Shell").Run("spotify:user:1269640531:playlist:1XnmxabGVccgBOCpgRxTnL")
WScript.sleep 3000
WScript.sleep 100
WScript.sleep 100
WScript.sleep 100
WScript.sleep 100
WScript.sleep 2000

yes my default is my windos 10 pc because I have it hooked as the main sound source for my monoprice 6 zone amp.   I have a modified my code (5 seperate commands "Alexa turn on Device 3" to toggle through all 5 devices... sometimes they change order but my computer always stays in position 1.  

Suggested posts