19:46:17.793 I [audio_session.cpp:234 ] Creating track player for track (playback_id 015cd89e218201fe6cde2c5c4376eed4) 19:46:17.793 I [audio_session.cpp:235 ] track_uri: spotify:track:6jwsbxD1nvTc4UGLgRoCa6 19:46:17.793 I [audio_session.cpp:236 ] speed: 1.000000 19:46:17.793 I [audio_session.cpp:237 ] normalization: track 19:46:17.793 I [audio_session.cpp:238 ] stream_type: default 19:46:17.793 I [audio_session.cpp:239 ] urgency: now 19:46:17.793 I [audio_session.cpp:240 ] track_select_flag: 0 Segmentation fault
dmesg | tail :
Core Thread: segfault at 0 ip 0000000000000000 sp 00007fab197f1368 error 14 in spotify[1ff000+1000] Code: Bad RIP value.
I came this thread because I had a "Segmentation Fault" problem when trying to open the Spotify app and I've been trying everything.
I've installed the app as a snap package. If there is anyone else that gets segfault when OPENNING the app, then this is what worked for me:
1. sudo snap remove spotify
2. which spotify -> if this doesn't say spotify not found, then continue
3. ls -la $(which spotify) -> remove the file; if it's a symbolic link, remove the link and the file it links to
4. sudo snap install spotify
Now you should have spotify starting again. To recap, this is NOT ALSA related, but this was the first link that popped up when you do a search for "spotify segmentation fault bad rip value" and maybe it can help others that have the problem that I had.
Same thing here. I had the problem at some point, then on 1.0.96 it was fixed. Then the problem was reintroduced, so I reverted back to 1.0.96. Unfortunately it's no longer in Gentoo's repositories, since I upgraded to 1.1.0 only to find out it's still broken. And the older versions seem to not be available on Spotify's repos anymore. So yeah, no Spotify here at the moment. I guess I'll have to track down an old ebuild.
Edit: nevermind, 1.0.96 was removed by upstream, that's why the ebuild was deleted.
Whoah, I decided to install pulseaudio as a dummy ALSA bridge (i.e. no autospawning, no touching my system volume levels, quit after all clients have quit, etc.). After doing that and testing it works, suddenly I can now actually play with Spotify using ALSA directly again! I verified this with:
No PulseAudio daemon running, or not running as session daemon.