Step 1

NEXT STEP

[BUG] Linux Client does not exit properly and stains system

Solved!

[BUG] Linux Client does not exit properly and stains system

1. Device and operating system: Dell XPS 13, Arch Linux x64, Gnome 3.20.2

2. Type of Spotify account: Premium

3. Spotify version: 1.0.38.171

4. Brief description of the issue: After pressing the 'X' the GUI closes but Spotify persists in background and continues playing. It pollutes memory and does not respond to SIGTERM. The rogue process also gets in the way of properly logging back in if the computer locks the screen/enters sleep. This also allows for running several Spotify instances concurrently, which I believe is not intended. SIGKILL is useful sometimes to deal with this, but not always.

5. Steps to reproduce the issue: 1) Install Spotify; 2) Run Spotify; 3) Leave the GUI playing for a while (more than an hour) to be sure the effect is observed; 4) Quit normally; 5) Observe spotify process is still running with preffered system tool (ps, top, htop, etc.)

6. Attached is the 'spotify-dump.txt' as described in advanced troubleshooting

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

I had some time to find and fix this problem. It should not occur in 1.0.64 which is in the testing repository now.

The underlying problem was in libcef, in the way we handled the shutdown phase. We called XDestroyWindow and always waited for the X event DestroyNotify before continuing the shutdown. In rare circumstances we did not receive that event.

https://bitbucket.org/chromiumembedded/cef/issues/2268

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

Hey, i've just tested with 1:1.0.64.401.g9d720389-21 and it seems to be fixed 🙂

I'll keep an eye on the behavior, and get back if it breaks 

Cheers!

View solution in original post

3 Replies

I have seen this problem myself a few times. Especially since I test the client a lot and start and stop many times per day. I have not been able to reproduce it consistently though. Sometimes it hangs on exit even if the client has just been open for a few seconds. Music also does not need to be playing. It could stay and linger there in the background anyway.

I will continue to investigate more.

Marked as solution

I had some time to find and fix this problem. It should not occur in 1.0.64 which is in the testing repository now.

The underlying problem was in libcef, in the way we handled the shutdown phase. We called XDestroyWindow and always waited for the X event DestroyNotify before continuing the shutdown. In rare circumstances we did not receive that event.

https://bitbucket.org/chromiumembedded/cef/issues/2268

Marked as solution

Hey, i've just tested with 1:1.0.64.401.g9d720389-21 and it seems to be fixed 🙂

I'll keep an eye on the behavior, and get back if it breaks 

Cheers!

Suggested posts