Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Dear Spotify dev: Spotify 32-bit deb build should use libssl1.00 rather than libssl0.9.8

Solved!

Dear Spotify dev: Spotify 32-bit deb build should use libssl1.00 rather than libssl0.9.8

As the 32-bit build now has hard dependency on libssl0.9.8, this makes spotify unable to be installed on Ubuntu 15.10 and onwards as libssl0.9.8 is no longer available in their package repo and has been superceeded by libssl1.00. You should update spotify dependency requirement to use libssl1.00. This won't be a problem for old Ubuntu LTS releases which are still being supported by Canonical because the releases too have libssl1.00 in their repo

Also I checked the 64-bit build, I see it lists libssl1.00 as dependency so its dependency requirements is fine for now and doesn't need to be updated.

Edit. I don't know why I get those javascript codes under my post message. Maybe your forum software is borked

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey @villagedude,

Spotify latest version supports libssl1.0.0. 

Spoiler
hristo@Alpha:~$ lsof -p 1851 | grep libssl
spotify 1851 hristo mem REG 8,1 429976 138527 /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libssl.so.1.0.0
hristo@Alpha:~$ spotify --version
Spotify version 1.0.17.75.g8f111100, Copyright (c) 2015, Spotify Ltd

You can get the .deb package here.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Marked as solution

Hey @villagedude,

Spotify latest version supports libssl1.0.0. 

Spoiler
hristo@Alpha:~$ lsof -p 1851 | grep libssl
spotify 1851 hristo mem REG 8,1 429976 138527 /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libssl.so.1.0.0
hristo@Alpha:~$ spotify --version
Spotify version 1.0.17.75.g8f111100, Copyright (c) 2015, Spotify Ltd

You can get the .deb package here.

Hey @

Version: 1:0.9.17.1.g9b85d43.7-1

Version: 1:0.9.4.183.g644e24e.428-1

I think this explains the reason why it always barf an error about libssl0.9.8 when the latest spotify-client in actual now uses libssl1.00. So yeah, please update the package info file for 32-bit build

Thank you!

Hey villagedude. Just enquiring about that strange code that got pasted below your original post. I Think I saw that once before when a user pasted something (Fairly innocent) in their post. Was hoping you could describe what exaqctly you did the first time that happened.

Thanks 🙂

Community Ergo Sum

Hello Per

I was writing my post in fully plain text and did some plain text pasting from sublime. Now I'm pasting..

spotify

Edit. Cant seem to reproduce it

or it could be the Labels which causes the code to be appended. I think that's all I did when I got the code

On the page www.spotify.com/uk/download/ the instructions install the older version. As many Ubuntu users will be using the latest Ubuntu version, could the new Spotify version (spotify-client_1.0.23.93.gd6cfae15-5_i386.deb) be linked to from that page, or an indication that there are new and old versions for versions of Ubuntu, or a direct link to http://repository.spotify.com/pool/non-free/s/spotify-client/ ? The new version works nicely on my Ubuntu 15.04, although I thought there used to be a Play Queue menu option to show the queue. Thanks 😄

Hey @KevinMarkwell,

I don't think they are going to put the testing version anytime soon there.

If you want to add it yourself to apt, just execute the following command instead:

echo deb http://repository.spotify.com testing non-free | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/spotify.list

Suggested posts