Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Error code 6 linux ubuntu

Solved!

Error code 6 linux ubuntu

I am using zorin os 11, which is basically ubuntu 15.10 with a crap ton of UI changes... anyways whenever i launch spotify client it gives me error code 6 with a red warning... when i ran it through console to see what it said, it was missing access to a library or something? i tried running it as sudo, because i thought it may be permmisions, but that didn't work and reinstalling it 4 times didn't work either even after completely erasing all files it left behind.

brian@brian-XPS-8700:~$ spotify
Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "overlay-scrollbar"
[0330/133444:ERROR:browser_main_loop.cc(203)] Running without the SUID sandbox! See https://code.google.com/p/chromium/wiki/LinuxSUIDSandboxDevelopment for more information on developing with the sandbox on.
[0330/133444:ERROR:main_delegate.cc(764)] Could not load cef_extensions.pak
[0330/133444:ERROR:browser_context_impl.cc(163)] The cache_path directory could not be created: /home/brian/.cache/spotify/Browser
17:34:44.472 F [storage_impl.cpp:1041           ] Unable to open index: /home/brian/.cache/spotify/Storage/index.dat (13)
17:34:44.472 E [storage_impl.cpp:2721           ] Storage error: realm: -1, file: 0000000000000000000000000000000000000000, error: 7, OS error: 13, count: 1, path /home/brian/.cache/spotify/Storage/
[0330/133444:ERROR:main_delegate.cc(764)] Could not load cef_extensions.pak

** (zenity:28388): WARNING **: Couldn't connect to accessibility bus: Failed to connect to socket /tmp/dbus-wXW2KgsxdX: Connection refused
Gtk-Message: GtkDialog mapped without a transient parent. This is discouraged.
Segmentation fault
brian@brian-XPS-8700:~$ 

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

A segfault is obviously a bug in spotify, but there might be something else that triggers it. Error code 6 doesn't say anything to me, but the messages around your cache directory concerns me. It is probably unrelated, but can you remove .cache/spotify from your home directory and start the client again?

View solution in original post

8 Replies

Hello @Aberts10 and welcome to Spotify Community!

I have some doubts what is actually causing the issue. Can you please run strace and let me know the output? I want to see what system calls were made by Spotify prior to the crash event:

strace spotify > $HOME/spotify-dump 2>&1

Looking forward to hear from you! 🙂

Sorry about being inactive....

it didn't do much... opened spotify, showed the error code 6 message, and that was it.

brian@brian-XPS-8700:~$ strace spotify > $HOME/spotify-dump 2>&1
Segmentation fault
brian@brian-XPS-8700:~$

Marked as solution

A segfault is obviously a bug in spotify, but there might be something else that triggers it. Error code 6 doesn't say anything to me, but the messages around your cache directory concerns me. It is probably unrelated, but can you remove .cache/spotify from your home directory and start the client again?

i used sudo natilus and then deleted it, after restarting it allowed me to login and it seems to work.

Another possible reason that I encountered for error code 6: I had cleared my ~/.cache directory and when it was re-created it was mistakenly owned by root. When I fixed ownership of that directory then Spotify was able to read/write to it and it started up correctly once more.

I had the same problem as alamore.
Segfault if root has permissions on .cache folder.
Spotify crashes instead of alerts it.

Thanks a lot ... 🙂

I had the same problem, remove .cache/spotify solved the problem. Thanks

Suggested posts