Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

How to use Spotify on a computer with no privileges ?

How to use Spotify on a computer with no privileges ?

Hi guys,

I would like to listen to Spotify at work, so I installed the android app on my phone but the problem is that I can't get a correct internet connection as I'm working underground. I tried to use the web application on my computer but it uses Flash (eurk...) and not HTML5 but Flash is disabled by the company... so it's not an option... Now I would like to install the Desktop application but it's also difficult because I have no privileges on the computers I use.

I have two computers : a Windows 7 computer and a Linux Red Hat.

What I tried is to install Spotify on the Windows computer using the SpotifyFullSetup.exe (offline) but it failed with error 17 "Cannot start Spotify" maybe because I'm not admin. Then I tried to go Linux, but I only found a debian repository with no possibility to download an offline installer. I'm sure that there is a way to make it work but the Spotify installers are not flexible enough to be "tricked" and work in an exotic environment.

Please help me 🙂 I don't want to be forced to use another music application just because Spotify doesn't want to use HTML5 :'(

5 Replies

The computer issues, if at work, are work restrictions. They have blocks that keep employees from accidently downloading items that can poseasily a threat. As far as your phone, have you tried spotify premium? I have it, and have had it for months and it allows you to download music while you have Internet and listen to it offline. You should try it!

Yes you're right, but sometimes there is the possibility to find a workaround.

I'm already premium but you have to download a lot of offline music which require a lot of GBs of memory and you don't have the possibility to listen to new random music according to your current mood.

The only work around solution I can think off for the computers would be finding a back door script in as an administrator... and with the GB of memory. I'm not sure as to how much you have saved, but I have over 20 Playlists, and close to 500 songs at my disposal and use maybe a Gig.

I use the high quality option for the offline music, but yes I could lower the quality to use less memory. Still, that not fix the random music access problem.

Maybe it's possible to download a linux offline installer ? Or change the installation directory of Spotify on Windows to use a non-restricted storage disk ?

Please uncheck my response as solved as it's not solved 😉

Yes, I apologize, the solution button is next to the reply button on my phone. I've never used an offline Downloader. However, if you can find one it seems like the most viable option.

Suggested posts